Spotlights return to Disney's Hollywood Studios

techgeek

A free movie generates no extra income. Nor does it generate extra clicks at the park's gate.

Prior to Test Track, I doubt any one EPCOT attraction was responsible for gate clicks on its own. It was about the greater experience.

The WS films may not have stood out, but are important in the ‘sum of its parts’ calculation... much like no one is coming to HS to look at some spotlights.

gerarar

Premium Member
BlogMickey is reporting that the new spotlights are not that noticeable at night, but I swear I saw a livestream the other day and you could’ve easily seen it at night, and that’s just through a smartphone and YouTube’s compression.
But I guess it ultimately depends on the weather and atmospheric conditions like BM noted.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
BlogMickey is reporting that the new spotlights are not that noticeable at night, but I swear I saw a livestream the other day and you could’ve easily seen it at night, and that’s just through a smartphone and YouTube’s compression.
But I guess it ultimately depends on the weather and atmospheric conditions like BM noted.

Looks like BlogMickey has optimal conditions to see them. Looked a little misty which gives the lights the best change to be seen.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Looks like BlogMickey has optimal conditions to see them. Looked a little misty which gives the lights the best change to be seen.

Last night would have been a great night for the lights visually. If that is the result, the lights either need a big boost in brightness or this is a dud.

mightynine

I was waiting to say something, but the pics of the spotlights that our intrepid Imagineer posted in his gushing post on the lights didn’t look all that impressive to me.

techgeek

Do we have any word on what lighting fixture they are using for this effect? Back in the day I believe Studios and Pleasure Island were using actual ‘SkyTracker’ units.

jt04

I was waiting to say something, but the pics of the spotlights that our intrepid Imagineer posted in his gushing post on the lights didn’t look all that impressive to me.

I think it will be discovered they are dimmed to minimize light polution, impact on bird migration or more efficient lighting. Or a combination of these factors. Pick and choose.

It's the green initiatives. 🌱

jt04

PS- the facade lighting is what I am mainly impressed with. The original neon for the new ride was too bright appearing but everything is better balanced now. Perfect. Now just do this with other icons please.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
PS- the facade lighting is what I am mainly impressed with. The original neon for the new ride was too bright appearing but everything is better balanced now. Perfect. Now just do this with other icons please.
Welcome back! I trust you’re well. Your musings have been missed I’m sure.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Yeah, where ya been? I saw your name pop up today and I was brought back to the summer of 2020 haha

WhatTheDisney94

There is a palm missing (on the right) from in front of the theater. Now it matches the uneven three jacaranda trees from in front of Spaceship Earth. ;)

Jwhee

There is no doubt in my mind that these are not a new install- simply the show lighting.

If they were installing new lights for this purpose I think they would’ve used something that is more specific for this application, not RGB LED movers.

The Rocketeer

Now bring back giant Sorcerer Mickey shooting flames out his finger.
Naturally I want the Rocketeer taking off on a jetpack again, but it actually looks convincing this time around ;)

Seriously though! An updated, longer Sorcery in the Sky with films that have come out since 1991 represented (Endgame, Mary Poppins Returns, Toy Story, and Incredibles for example) and theatre projection mapping, even though I know we are all tired of it being used everywhere, really would be amazing. I can just imagine that ending Sorcerer's Apprentice scene now.

But in actuality there is no way Disney would do the inflatable flaming mickey or jet pack thing ever again. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom