When Disneyland reopens, it's going to have even more of a privilege problem - SF Gate

DLR>WDW

My goodness... the Twitter discussions on this article are mind-numbing. Do people not understand the basic economic principle of supply and demand? I really don't get it.

Your attendance to Disneyland is not a right. I decided to not renew my pass in 2019 because the price just wasn't justifiable for me anymore. End of story. I didn't go online and call Disney classist or demand for prices to be lowered so everyone can experience the magic. I just reduced my attendance to 2 or 3 times a year (which honestly makes the experience of going to the parks better overall IMO). As someone said earlier, Disneyland is a vacation destination.

And what's with the monthly payment obsession? It all adds up the same price. If the lump sum isn't reachable to you at once, why not save up for a year, splitting the costs in the same way as the payments would, then pay in full once you've reached the price of the pass. Perhaps you could invest the savings over the 12 months and get a little bit extra, too. I could totally be wrong about this, and please let me know if I am, but the fixation on it seems very odd.

Purduevian

Disneyland has 3 options:
1)Do nothing, except the smallish annual ticket increase. This will not fix the problem, Disney will continue to be very crowded, everyone is a little mad, but few will be priced out.
2)Raise the prices to price out a % of the population. People that can't afford to go are angry, people that can go will be somewhat angry at paying more.
3)Expand... somehow. Either a 3rd park that sucks lots of locals to it, a 3rd park that sucks lots of tourists to it, or expand Disneyland (no idea how) or CA (no idea how). Final expansion plan would be another castle park somewhere in the US closer to Disneyland than WDW. This will make Disney Angry as it is expensive.

George Lucas on a Bench

The thinking with eliminating the Monthly Payment Option is that it will cut out The Riffraff, AKA people who maybe can't afford to make a payment all at once for their Disney pass. Seems very elitist, but I'd expect nothing less from this forum. I'm Pro-AP even though I haven't had one for some time and in these No One Except Californians Can Visitonian times, they should just reinstate it for all the Local Riffraff with some new rules for reservations.

Depending on how long these Regional Mandates remain in place, it will be Californians Only giving them business, the very crowd they're alienating.

D.Silentu

And what's with the monthly payment obsession? It all adds up the same price.
Psychology, which I'm sure Disney is counting on. To some it makes them feel like they're paying less, which of course is inaccurate in the long run.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Psychology, which I'm sure Disney is counting on. To some it makes them feel like they're paying less, which of course is inaccurate in the long run.
Yep, 200 dollars a month may seem like less than 1500 dollars annually to some.

It's why exepensive smart phones can continue to be successful, if they were only sold as a lump sum payment they wouldn't sell at all.

SevenSevens

Theres a large climate difference between Southern California and Texas. Texas for the most part is not conducive for free-range outdoors living by the ill-equipped year-round. It gets lethally cold in the winter and summer.
There's plenty of homeless people in cold states, you'd be surprised. I went to a little town outside of Hershey PA, and was surprised to find a park overrun with homeless people.

denyuntilcaught

And what's with the monthly payment obsession? It all adds up the same price. If the lump sum isn't reachable to you at once, why not save up for a year, splitting the costs in the same way as the payments would, then pay in full once you've reached the price of the pass. Perhaps you could invest the savings over the 12 months and get a little bit extra, too. I could totally be wrong about this, and please let me know if I am, but the fixation on it seems very odd.

Same reason why you price things at $9.99 vs $10. It's quite literally nearly the same thing, but it's all a part of a psychological branding tactic called nudge theory.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Lot of new members or people who never have posted before popping up in these Disneyland threads now that the park is going to reopen. interesting.

shambolicdefending

Count me in the group that feels absolutely no sympathy for anybody angry about the AP changes.

In pure economic terms APs have been chronically underpriced for years, and the whole subculture that's developed around them is a little ridiculous, IMO.

Cry me a river if some of them can only go once or twice a year now instead of once or twice a week or month.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Count me in the group that feels absolutely no sympathy for anybody angry about the AP changes.

In pure economic terms APs have been chronically underpriced for years, and the whole subculture that's developed around them is a little ridiculous, IMO.

Cry me a river if some of them can only go once or twice a year now instead of once or twice a week or month.
I love you.

D.Silentu

While I think that Annual Passes and the culture they nurtured were fraught with issues, I believe this is the obligatory moment in such threads where someone reiterates that Disneyland's general pricing advances grossly ahead of average inflation.

Last edited:

DavidNoble

Why would I freely give up the full price when monthly is available to me at 0% interest? Even if I had all of the money in my bank to cover it on day 1, that money is in better use in my pocket (or in the bank where it could gain some interest, regardless of how tiny that may be) then in Disney's bank account (where it is gaining interest as well).

D.Silentu

Why would I freely give up the full price when monthly is available to me at 0% interest?
In my experience, I find it advantageous to have as few reoccurring financial obligations as possible. I can never precisely predict when every big expenditure is coming, so if I can buy something outright and not have my income fractioned another way, I tend to do so. Naturally, there are other ways of looking at it.

DavidNoble

In my experience, I find it advantageous to have as few reoccurring financial obligations as possible. I can never precisely predict when every big expenditure is coming, so if I can buy something outright and not have my income fractioned another way, I tend to do so. Naturally, there are other ways of looking at it.

True, I typically operate in the same fashion. I think that sword can slice both ways. If you just put down $6000 for 5 annual passes (my eyes just burned typing that) and then had a big expenditure, the same would be true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom