When Disneyland reopens, it's going to have even more of a privilege problem - SF Gate

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
>>In Disney’s view, they were people who crowded the park, to the complaints of nonpassholders, and who didn’t spend much money. As much as critics could say people who can’t afford it shouldn’t go to the park, there’s no denying that those monthly payments put something many people love within reach, and taking away the ability to pay over time will inevitably exclude some people who visit Disneyland as their one luxury.

“The season passholder is the ‘smartest’ visitor to the parks,” Dennis Speigel, founder and CEO of International Theme Park Services, a global theme park consultancy, told SFGATE. “They know when to come, what periods to avoid, how to, how to hit it at the right exact right time of day, weekend, weekday.” Those people, he said, “gobbled up capacity” as annual passes became more easily attainable.

Passholders, he said, “didn't spend as much. They’d eat before they got there, or they’d eat after they leave, a lot of them, and they’d just ride rides.”

“I've been saying this for about seven or eight years,” Speigel said. “The season pass programs have gotten too large.” Disneyland had an estimated one million annual passholders last year.

Stopping monthly payments will help to thin the crowd, but thinning the crowd by pricing people out isn’t a good look for the company. When he was dreaming up the park, Walt Disney envisioned it as “a great, great playground for the children and the families of America,” not as a place families would need to open up a new credit card to afford.

In increasing prices, Disney’s problems of privilege will become even worse. In short, what has long touted itself as the “Happiest Place on Earth” is transitioning to the happiest place on Earth … as long as you can afford it.

“I think [Disneyland is] going to come out of this short term with maybe a couple of stumbles, but long-term, I think it's going to benefit, ultimately, the guest,” Speigel said. He meant smaller crowds, shorter lines and a better overall park experience. “It's going to certainly benefit the park, but I think the guest is going to win in this as well.”<<

>>How Disneyland handles its economic recovery, and when and how it implements a new passholder program, will only be revealed when the company is ready to do so. One thing is for certain: When the gates to the park reopen in late April, as CEO Chapek announced yesterday, those who can afford to buy tickets will be there, ready to ride. For the rest, you may be out of luck.<<

DrAlice

Disneyland has been expensive for as long as I can remember. This isn't new.

Also, comparing Walt's original version of the park that didn't have an admission price used ticket books to theme parks of today is just silly.

EDITED because I had my facts wrong!

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Disneyland has been expensive for as long as I can remember. This isn't new.

Also, comparing Walt's original version of the park that didn't have an admission price to theme parks of today is just silly.

On July 18th, 1955 when Disneyland opened, admission was $1 for adults, then you had to pay or each ride. (No coupon books back then, just ticket booth at each ride.)

DrAlice

On July 18th, 1955 when Disneyland opened, admission was $1 for adults.
I thought you didn't have to pay originally and you just payed for attractions. Did the $1 fee go away at some point, or did my older relatives lie to me remember this wrong?

(And, yes, I see what you did there with the date.)

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I thought you didn't have to pay originally and you just payed for attractions. Did the $1 fee go away at some point, or did my older relatives lie to me remember this wrong?

>>There’s something to be said for being first in line.

Dave MacPherson was a 22-year-old college student taking summer classes towards his English degree when a story on the local news caught his eye. It was July 17, 1955, the day before Walt Disney’s much-anticipated new amusement park opened in Anaheim, California. Dave decided on the spot to be the first member of the general public to walk through those gates.

Hoping he might win some sort of prize for being the first in line, Dave hopped on his scooter and drove the 10 miles from Long Beach to Anaheim. When he arrived it was about 1 in the morning, and he promptly took his spot at the front of the line. Inside the park he could hear workers testing sound systems and hammering last minute sets together. Even though the line behind him would reach 6,000 people, he made sure no one got in front of him.

When the gates opened for the first time the next morning, Dave was the first member of the general public to purchase his ticket. Once inside, Dave didn’t stick around to try out the rides or have a snack. Instead, he used the restroom, got back on his scooter and drove back home in order to get to his next class.<<

July18th%20002-M.jpg

TP2000

No, there was always a base fee of some sort to get in. It was often combined with the purchase of a ticket book, as the ticket books always said "Admission and..." however number of ride tickets you bought. But I imagine some folks just bought an admission ticket and didn't worry too much about going on rides.

1615424719563.jpeg

$1.00 in 1955 would equate to $9.82 today. But also realize the average wages and standard of living, adjusted for inflation, were a lot lower for Americans in 1955 compared today.

Our wages have not only risen greatly, the lower classes of 2021 have luxuries and decadence in their lives (air conditioning, color TV, cars, home appliances, food choice, clothing choice, travel) that even the upper-middle class couldn't afford in 1955. Never mind the wild advances in computer and consumer electronics technology; just the basics of what we call baseline working class living in 2021 were luxurious extravagances for most Americans in 1955.

So that adjusted for inflation ticket price of $9.82 in our dollars actually seemed a lot higher to 1955 American pocketbooks.

Last edited:

TP2000

>>In Disney’s view, they were people who crowded the park, to the complaints of nonpassholders, and who didn’t spend much money. As much as critics could say people who can’t afford it shouldn’t go to the park, there’s no denying that those monthly payments put something many people love within reach, and taking away the ability to pay over time will inevitably exclude some people who visit Disneyland as their one luxury.

“The season passholder is the ‘smartest’ visitor to the parks,” Dennis Speigel, founder and CEO of International Theme Park Services, a global theme park consultancy, told SFGATE. “They know when to come, what periods to avoid, how to, how to hit it at the right exact right time of day, weekend, weekday.” Those people, he said, “gobbled up capacity” as annual passes became more easily attainable.

Passholders, he said, “didn't spend as much. They’d eat before they got there, or they’d eat after they leave, a lot of them, and they’d just ride rides.”

“I've been saying this for about seven or eight years,” Speigel said. “The season pass programs have gotten too large.” Disneyland had an estimated one million annual passholders last year.

Stopping monthly payments will help to thin the crowd, but thinning the crowd by pricing people out isn’t a good look for the company. When he was dreaming up the park, Walt Disney envisioned it as “a great, great playground for the children and the families of America,” not as a place families would need to open up a new credit card to afford.

In increasing prices, Disney’s problems of privilege will become even worse. In short, what has long touted itself as the “Happiest Place on Earth” is transitioning to the happiest place on Earth … as long as you can afford it.

“I think [Disneyland is] going to come out of this short term with maybe a couple of stumbles, but long-term, I think it's going to benefit, ultimately, the guest,” Speigel said. He meant smaller crowds, shorter lines and a better overall park experience. “It's going to certainly benefit the park, but I think the guest is going to win in this as well.”<<

>>How Disneyland handles its economic recovery, and when and how it implements a new passholder program, will only be revealed when the company is ready to do so. One thing is for certain: When the gates to the park reopen in late April, as CEO Chapek announced yesterday, those who can afford to buy tickets will be there, ready to ride. For the rest, you may be out of luck.<<

I just love that the media is now using the world "privilege" in stories regarding Disneyland ticket prices! That's hysterical.

I'm waiting for a story about a Lexus dealership where the media and/or an activist group claims it involves "privilege" because the cars are nicer than the Toyota dealership across the street. Luxury cars for all! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DrAlice

No, there was always a base fee of some sort to get in. It was often combined with the purchase of a ticket book, as the ticket books always said "Admission and..." however number of ride tickets you bought. But I imagine some folks just bought an admission ticket and didn't worry too much about going on rides.

View attachment 538626

$1.00 in 1955 would equate to $9.82 today. But also realize the average wages and standard of living, adjusted for inflation, were a lot lower for Americans in 1955 compared today.

Our wages have not only risen greatly, the lower classes of 2021 have luxuries and decadence in their lives (air conditioning, color TV, cars, home appliances, food choice, clothing choice, travel) that even the upper-middle class couldn't afford in 1955. Never mind the wild advances in computer and consumer electronics technology; just the basics of what we call baseline working class living in 2021 were luxurious extravagances for most Americans in 1955.

So that adjusted for inflation ticket price of $9.82 in our dollars actually seemed a lot higher to 1955 American pocketbooks.
Thanks for the clarification. So basically, ignore the second part of my original post, but leave my original sentence: Disneyland has always been expensive. :)

TP2000

Disney should start letting the people sleeping on Harbor in the park for free to show how they care about inclusion as part of their core values.

Forget the park, just get them inside out of the cold and rain and let them use the bathrooms and breakroom microwaves in TDA. They are camped out mere steps away from TDA. Get these folks feeling some Inclusion!

IMG_0533.JPG

TP2000

Nice to see those quasi-non-benches/newspaper dispensers have finally been removed.

Anaheim removed all the amenities once meant for tourists and tried everything to make the bus stops in the Resort District as inhospitable as possible, but the homeless camps just keep growing around them.

But compared to LA or San Francisco, this is peanuts. But, sadly, this is California now. Everywhere.

DavidNoble

>>There’s something to be said for being first in line.

Dave MacPherson was a 22-year-old college student taking summer classes towards his English degree when a story on the local news caught his eye. It was July 17, 1955, the day before Walt Disney’s much-anticipated new amusement park opened in Anaheim, California. Dave decided on the spot to be the first member of the general public to walk through those gates.

Hoping he might win some sort of prize for being the first in line, Dave hopped on his scooter and drove the 10 miles from Long Beach to Anaheim. When he arrived it was about 1 in the morning, and he promptly took his spot at the front of the line. Inside the park he could hear workers testing sound systems and hammering last minute sets together. Even though the line behind him would reach 6,000 people, he made sure no one got in front of him.

When the gates opened for the first time the next morning, Dave was the first member of the general public to purchase his ticket. Once inside, Dave didn’t stick around to try out the rides or have a snack. Instead, he used the restroom, got back on his scooter and drove back home in order to get to his next class.<<

July18th%20002-M.jpg

He could've been the original vlogger if that was a thing back in the days ;)

Communicora

Premium Member
I just love that the media is now using the world "privilege" in stories regarding Disneyland ticket prices! That's hysterical.

I'm waiting for a story about a Lexus dealership where the media and/or an activist group claims it involves "privilege" because the cars are nicer than the Toyota dealership across the street. Luxury cars for all! :rolleyes:
It really is idiotic to discuss the useful concept of privilege in the context of an amusement park. In fact, it waters it down to the point where privilege could be thought of as a meaningless idea, which isn't great. It's a theme park not an essential element of life!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
"As much as critics could say people who can’t afford it shouldn’t go to the park, there’s no denying that those monthly payments put something many people love within reach, and taking away the ability to pay over time will inevitably exclude some people who visit Disneyland as their one luxury."
I have never ever subscribed to this train of thought. Anyone with an ounce of discipline, patience, and self-control can defer having an AP for ONE year, and during that year set aside the monthly amount they would be paying for a pass and then pay in full the next year. Then over that next year continue to put money aside again and pay in full the next year and so on. You just need to be willing to defer a year to get the process in motion.

The problem with that is people want things now (the patience part), and trying to set money aside for something ends up getting used for something else (the discipline part).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom