The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Perhaps you missed the ridiculous and hilarious number that was highlighted????

When something is highlighted that’s to draw ones attention to the focus. It is why I posted it. Sorry that was lost with you 😟There was not any added politics or Covid commentary by me but I am not offended by your political comments about your Governor or the mess of his system In your post you went into. I also am fine with our Groundhog commentary though I guess that too technically is Climate Change and very political. 🤪

I am familiar with what dedicated threads are but thank you you for sharing this in that very respectful manner. 🥰. Im sure you are not aware I’ve been a member of WDWMagic for a long time, 2011 so I can navigate the website pretty proficiently But thanks for the helpful tip.

View attachment 535994
Wow, that’s a whole new level of passive aggressive there.

I would tip my hat to you had it not been directed toward one of the kindest, sweetest forum members.

Two thumbs down. 👎👎

Songbird76

I wasn’t allowed to take home EC in high s hook. Mom said I already knew how to bake and cook so I needed to take college prep.
We had a shortage of electives. I remember one year they were really pushing this "Enrichment program" for my whole class. This was some deal to help you experience different subjects so you'd know what you wanted to do later, to help kids who didn't really know what they were interested in. It was 4 different classes that you took for 1 quarter and then you moved on to the next...I want to say home ec, shop class, art, and computers? But I had NO desire to take shop class, and I already knew I wanted to do something with music, so I wanted to take choir and the school counselor argued and argued with me about how I needed to take this enrichment program because it would expose me to more subjects, and I argued and argued that I didn't need that because I already knew what I wanted to do, and it was more important for me to take music classes than it was to take shop class. In the end, he couldn't force me to take the enrichment program. I think most of the kids took that and I was one of just a handful who didn't. That program was discontinued after one year...apparently it didn't work out as well as they had hoped. One quarter wasn't enough time for the kids to actually learn anything, the teachers didn't like the constant changing of students, and it was hard to work out the schedule or something like that. So they abandoned it just as quickly as they had started pushing it.

I'm sorry your mom wouldn't let you take home ec. I think it's really short-sighted to force kids into taking courses they don't like. We do better and are more motivated when we like the subject matter and are good at it, and we know what interests us and what doesn't.

What was college prep like?

Songbird76

We were encouraged to take one just for fun course. :joyfull: We got to pick out own schedules, parents had override
What were your requirements? How many electives were you allowed to take? We had a 4X4 system....4 years of English, Social Studies, Science, and Math. 2 Years of PE. 7 classes total, so if you took PE, you had 2 electives, and if you were in a non-PE year you had 3. I was never athletic, so I only took the PE that was required, but we had so few options for electives anyway. We had choir, band, home ec, Shop and Agriculture, Spanish, Art, Photography (which was independent study). My freshman year they added German, and they also added a computer lit course that didn't last long. And twice they added a speech and debate class that only lasted for a year and then they dumped it. I think that was it...some kids could sign up as a Teacher's Aid, but they didn't actually get credit for it. We got to decide for ourselves which classes we wanted to take...I don't remember if my mom had to sign off on them or not. I think maybe she did for me to not do the enrichment program...they REALLY wanted everyone to do it, but I want to say it was at the same time as choir maybe? They had really been trying to kill off the music program, so that would have been one way to do that.

My kids don't get electives at all right now. All the kids in a program take the same classes. Next year, E gets to have more control over her subjects. She chooses a profile, which is just basically a general area. Either technological sciences/math, or Natural Sciences/math, Culture and arts, or culture and economy. You take the classes that are related to that area, and then you can choose a couple of electives. So E will do the Tech, Science/math, and do biology as her elective, and she's debating whether to do Informatica (we think it's like computer programming and web design, etc) or the tech research and design or both as her other elective(s). And they still have to take English, Dutch, and one other language. We have to give feedback about it, and she gets advice, but really the choice is hers. A will have to choose his profile next year.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Songbird76

Here's an interesting effort to save the black ferret. Might be of particular interest to @Swarles Barkley.

Introducing Elizabeth Ann. :joyfull:

There is a ferret rescue/sanctuary facility in Wyoming in the Sybille Canyon wildlife refuge.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We had a shortage of electives. I remember one year they were really pushing this "Enrichment program" for my whole class. This was some deal to help you experience different subjects so you'd know what you wanted to do later, to help kids who didn't really know what they were interested in. It was 4 different classes that you took for 1 quarter and then you moved on to the next...I want to say home ec, shop class, art, and computers? But I had NO desire to take shop class, and I already knew I wanted to do something with music, so I wanted to take choir and the school counselor argued and argued with me about how I needed to take this enrichment program because it would expose me to more subjects, and I argued and argued that I didn't need that because I already knew what I wanted to do, and it was more important for me to take music classes than it was to take shop class. In the end, he couldn't force me to take the enrichment program. I think most of the kids took that and I was one of just a handful who didn't. That program was discontinued after one year...apparently it didn't work out as well as they had hoped. One quarter wasn't enough time for the kids to actually learn anything, the teachers didn't like the constant changing of students, and it was hard to work out the schedule or something like that. So they abandoned it just as quickly as they had started pushing it.

I'm sorry your mom wouldn't let you take home ec. I think it's really short-sighted to force kids into taking courses they don't like. We do better and are more motivated when we like the subject matter and are good at it, and we know what interests us and what doesn't.

What was college prep like?

college prep was really just being with the “high achievers “ and taking advanced classes. It was fine and I did get some college credits so it worked out. And my mom was right I would t have really learned anything besides maybe how to sew better, but I could always teach myself now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom