Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAKECOTCenter

I think it’s really important they try to get everyone in a “vaccine sweep” in May and June. People are just generally more happy in those months and are likely more agreeable to go with it. And it’s the least transmission time of year of infections anyway.

Go door to door...make it a tv show. If there’s one thing we know the people will follow...its Tv misdirection
Absolutely. I think a major vaccine campaign is on the way for the spring and summer once supply stops being an issue and with enough effort, it could put us over the edge for the threshold of herd immunity going into fall and winter for the 50th season

danlb_2000

Premium Member
what is the end goal then (in your opinion)? If someone doesn’t want to get a vaccine, they also probably don’t want to take other measures, like masks or staying home, to reduce spread, and the virus would continue to circulate regardless. Not trying to argue, I’m genuinely curious. If that’s the case, how do you see things returning to normal? Or do you not?

As I said, the end goal is to get the virus under control, not necessarily eliminated, but at least down to a level where it is no bigger a threat then a lot of other infectious diseases we live with. It's very likely the vaccines will get us there.

ToTBellHop

As I said, the end goal is to get the virus under control, not necessarily eliminated, but at least down to a level where it is no bigger a threat then a lot of other infectious diseases we live with. It's very likely the vaccines will get us there.
I agree. A flu situation is acceptable—the vaccine largely prevents death but not everyone gets it, and, indeed, people keep dying from it. Just not 500k in a year.

correcaminos

Very few exceptions and most (if not all) exceptions are psychiatric. (It could trigger panic in someone who had previously been kidnapped and gagged, for example). There really are no physical exceptions unless you're allergic to the material of the mask (in which case get a different material). None of the supposed respiratory excuses are legitimate. An asthmatic can wear a mask just fine.
My aunt was in her end days and with her physical disabilities she did not wear one then. She also had physical disabilities that made it impossible for her to take it off or put it on herself. That was the key risk and why she stopped wearing one in her care facility. Prior to that even while on oxygen she had one on when seeing others though it was always temporary. That is one of the few exceptions to the rule (age 2 being another).

Real and true PTST could cause issues. I do have issues thanks to trauma and scarring on part of my ear that causes pain (thank goodness it's a bit lower than glasses go, but where ties rub) but I figure if I can mask up without issues, most can. I have silicone savers that help the scarring pain too. Some traumas may be too much though and as one who deals with minor by comparison (why I love social distancing personally), I respect it.

I get young kids can be harder too but some really do not try. Nor do they want to.

I want masks gone asap, but I mean as soon as possible. I don't want this to end too soon. It can really suck but we'll get there with little to no virus causing issues eventually. I don't know anyone who truly loves them.

I still remain hopeful that summer will be more normal than before. Mask wearing will vary depending on levels and where one lives. Will not predict Disney though. But they were later to mandate masks than my city did IIRC

disneycp

you said masks need to continue after everyone has the ability to be vaccinated because not everyone will willingly get vaccinated and spread will continue. Now you’re saying vaccines will get us down to a low enough level that it’s fine. Those are two different sentiments

JoeCamel

you said masks need to continue after everyone has the ability to be vaccinated because not everyone will willingly get vaccinated and spread will continue. Now you’re saying vaccines will get us down to a low enough level that it’s fine. Those are two different sentiments
Masks need to continue until we have the ability to test and trace where outbreaks arise. As it stands we still have uncontrolled spread and vaccination or not this can balloon in a very short time and has when people thought "the worst is over". The time when we see a reduction in spread due to the number of vaccinated people is still on the horizon and it will be many months until it is reduced to manageable levels.
There are thousands more going to die from this in the months to come until control is achieved.

Last edited:

havoc315

I’ve been saying for months now that once it is as dangerous as the flu, masks can go away. People have this belief that it must be masks until there are zero cases, which will never happen given how widespread the virus is now. We will be keeping the virus around.

Not to say the word flu... but the flu of 1918 was even more widespread, and still shrunk down to zero cases... without a vaccine!

With a vaccine.... proper adoption of the vaccine, and mitigation measures for the proper amount of time... Not saying we will get Covid down to 0, but pretty darn close to it.

havoc315

Not at all. Statements are entirely consistent. The "low enough level" won't be reached the moment vaccines become readily available. Vaccines WILL get us to the "low enough level" -- EVENTUALLY.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Actually I didn't say that. Once everyone has access to a vaccine and community spread is down to a reasonable level, then masks and other mitigation can start to be removed. Vaccines should get us there, but if something goes wrong and it doesn't, then mitigation will continue until we find a way to get there.

DisneyDebRob

No...this is the same from the start. Including the lack of required patience.

A pandemic is stopped by eliminating the spread/carriers from the largest proportion of the population possible.

I get your point about vaccines. But these doctors know the problem with vaccines: a large percentage of people won’t do it. For many reasons but the common ones are fear and lack of info
So last spring far too many people wanted to “power through it”...to get back to the beach/bar or get their fast passes back...

Now this spring the same sect are likely to prevent it from happening with vaccines.

Squeaky wheels get the grease AND wreck the cars.

The doctors know this...they can’t be casual about anything...because people are DUMB.
Dumb all over.. and a little ugly on the side.
Sorry, that’s over most people’s heads but that last line your wrote just reminded me of one of my favorite songs by my favorite artist.
Continue on..🙂

dreday3

Not to say the word flu... but the flu of 1918 was even more widespread, and still shrunk down to zero cases... without a vaccine!

With a vaccine.... proper adoption of the vaccine, and mitigation measures for the proper amount of time... Not saying we will get Covid down to 0, but pretty darn close to it.

Isn't it still around, just in different "versions"? In fact haven't we had a few mutations of it over the years?

hopemax

Chart from one polling outfit, showing how vaccine skepticism has changed from November to now. Positive movement among Hispanic and Black respondents. I've seen other polling that among these groups it's more "unsure / waiting" and not "no" indicating that continued outreach could improve things further. The other group... 🤷‍♀️

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Chart from one polling outfit, showing how vaccine skepticism has changed from November to now. Positive movement among Hispanic and Black respondents. I've seen other polling that among these groups it's more "unsure / waiting" and not "no" indicating that continued outreach could improve things further. The other group... 🤷‍♀️

Gee...what changed? 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom