Why does Disney charge so much?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
It seems like you've made up your mind and no contrary assessment will sway you differently-and in that case, I'm not sure why you're soliciting opinions-but, here goes:

Wherever you stay, you need to travel to/from the park. If you intend to Uber, there's a fee. Same if you intend to drive to the park. If you pay a little more to stay at a hotel where you can walk to the park, there's a saving there. And, even if transportation is offered, under the current circumstances, some folks may want to avoid bus transportation. I personally despise waiting for buses and being in them. Hence, I've tried to find hotels where I can either walk or boat service is offered to at least 1 park. To me, paying a little more to avoid buses has been worth it. (IMO, that's even more the case now.)

Next, I'm not sure how you can describe the Swan/Dolphin as an "atrocity" if you've never been there? That's simply not the case. At all. (And yes, the website is outdated.) Quite frankly, I'd likely never go back to the Gaylord. I don't think you can compare the two. I think flynnibus is right . . . if you want to save some $ over the Disney hotels, do some of the cheaper off-site options. But the Gaylord? But, whatever. To each's own.
Again, transportation isn’t a factor for me. I’ve said that a million times. I cant justify spending an extra couple hundred dollars for such a small convenience.

As for the Gaylord vs Swan/Dolphin, that was a defeated argument on my end since I brought it up. (Gaylord does look a lot better to me still, though) Swan/Dolphin just looks quite boring to me. Like the worlds biggest retirement home. So, therefore, if I’m going to stay somewhere boring, I’m just going to get a nice condo offsite for $80 for the entire trip... or something, anything, less than $100 per night.

I also wasn’t really asking much for opinions because, as you said, I’ve made up my mind. I was asking why does disney charge such a ridiculous amount of money for such smaller benefits than offsite hotels. It seems to me that the only benefit IS the transportation..

no EMH, discounts don’t make sense because of yearly price fluctuation... I’m just not seeing where paying an extra few HUNDREDS of dollars makes any sense just to be able to walk to the park. (Unless you’re rich)

BASS

I just dont see the big deal of driving yourself to the parks (without kids). The travel time has absolutely no impact on our decision making.
It's $25/day. So staying off-site cuts into the saving (if there isn't some free transportation offered by the hotel to the park).

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
It's $25/day. So staying off-site cuts into the saving (if there isn't some free transportation offered by the hotel to the park).
So you’re paying $100 for 4 days at the parks for parking if you stay at an Airbnb or a typical hotel.

But you’re still saving up to $150 per night on the room. On top of that? Disney has parking fees at their hotel. So that almost cancels itself out if you’re having to do a road trip, like I am.

Even if you’re flying in, you’re not saving any struggle anymore once they get rid of magical express.

aliceismad

That would look like a steal in Disney prices. Unfortunately that's the price range of the Value+ rooms like AoA/POP. The moderates are more like $270-~$440 (w/tax) before discounts. And for your wonderful $300/night room you get the privledge of having to ride multiple buses just to get anywhere... so glam.
Do a lot of people book at rack rate? I know I stayed at POFQ for way less than that in 2019. I want to say it was somewhere in the $190 range. I'm sure it has increased since.

Out of curiosity, I looked up a random week in June under the Spring discount and found Coronado at $201, so $226 with tax. All-Star Movies is $143, and Saratoga, Old Key West, and Wilderness Lodge are all $320 or less.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just dont see the big deal of driving yourself to the parks (without kids). The travel time has absolutely no impact on our decision making.

Well it depends on the park in question... but the jist is usually about time. What are you spending time doing?

Are you sleeping more?
Are you waiting for something?
Are you having to wait before you get to do something?
Are you not doing something because of the time it takes?
What is the certainty of how much this will 'cost' time-wise?
Are you spending time relaxing or are you spending time 'working' on something?

Classically this is why people like being self-reliant and driving themselves. Then they get to control many of those questions... it reduces uncertainty. But it also comes with its own trade-offs... getting to/from car, parking shuttles, parking fees, driving itself, etc. Many are willing to pay a convenience fee to reduce some of those negatives... some will prefer price over all and accept consequences to avoid paying period, etc.

But travel time itself really boils down to 'time' for most people. Do I have to get up earlier to get there by 8am? I'm tired walking out of the parks at 1am.. how long before I can just collapse and relax? What does it mean if I want to go back to the hotel for something... or worse, if I *have* to go back because something was forgotten, etc.

Simply... for most people it's a tax. And when on vacation, its a tax that if given the choice, most would prefer to do without. But the convenience of proximity is not something they give away for free, so everyone has to pick what they prioritize and what they tolerate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do a lot of people book at rack rate? I know I stayed at POFQ for way less than that in 2019. I want to say it was somewhere in the $190 range. I'm sure it has increased since.

Not so much that it's the prevailing rate - but provides a uniform comparison point in these kinds of discussions. Plus, Disney does advertise direct % off it verse advertising a dollar amount in most situations.

Out of curiosity, I looked up a random week in June under the Spring discount and found Coronado at $201, so $226 with tax. All-Star Movies is $143, and Saratoga, Old Key West, and Wilderness Lodge are all $320 or less.

You sure? Coronado is $279/302 for all of June.. Disney's site is advertising avg $251/night (pretax) for a week stay in june

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 2.47.21 PM.png

(June 6-12th)

ASM didn't want to show availability.. but ASMusic was showing $173 pretax avg

BASS

Again, transportation isn’t a factor for me. I’ve said that a million times. I cant justify spending an extra couple hundred dollars for such a small convenience.

As for the Gaylord vs Swan/Dolphin, that was a defeated argument on my end since I brought it up. (Gaylord does look a lot better to me still, though) Swan/Dolphin just looks quite boring to me. Like the worlds biggest retirement home. So, therefore, if I’m going to stay somewhere boring, I’m just going to get a nice condo offsite for $80 for the entire trip... or something, anything, less than $100 per night.

I also wasn’t really asking much for opinions because, as you said, I’ve made up my mind. I was asking why does disney charge such a ridiculous amount of money for such smaller benefits than offsite hotels. It seems to me that the only benefit IS the transportation..

no EMH, discounts don’t make sense because of yearly price fluctuation... I’m just not seeing where paying an extra few HUNDREDS of dollars makes any sense just to be able to walk to the park. (Unless you’re rich)
How do you assess it is "boring" and the "world's biggest retirement home" if you've never been there? In fact, it's the opposite. Since it's has a loose affiliation with Disney, it tends to have less families and kids and more adults. It's slanted to a more grown-up crowd than the Disney hotels. There are bars galore on the property, including one poolside. In fact, the pool environment is decidedly not Disney, which is great since I like a respite from the kids and noise from the parks. I mean, Bluezoo (one of the restaurants on property) would fit well in Vegas. It has that vibe to it. You're way off.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
How do you assess it is "boring" and the "world's biggest retirement home" if you've never been there? In fact, it's the opposite. Since it's has a loose affiliation with Disney, it tends to have less families and kids and more adults. It's slanted to a more grown-up crowd than the Disney hotels. There are bars galore on the property, including one poolside. In fact, the pool environment is decidedly not Disney, which is great since I like a respite from the kids and noise from the parks. I mean, Bluezoo (one of the restaurants on property) would fit well in Vegas. It has that vibe to it. You're way off.
Not off. Adult themed hotels are boring. If it was my choice, I’d stay at any of the value resorts (excluding sports) if they were just a bit cheaper. Theming there is blehk. The hotel looks like a photograph you’d find hanging in a yellow faded image hanging on the wall at a Piccadilly Cafeteria.

I’d also never give money to a hotel that started the destruction of sight lines at Epcot.

I never mentioned it, but I’ve BEEN to swan/Dolphin during a business trip with my dad when i was a teen. I’ve never stayed there though so I cant speak for the rooms. I dont drink (nor have I ever understood the need to) so bars are worthless. The pool looks nice but it doesn’t look any more special than any other resort’s pool.

CLBMN

Not off. Adult themed hotels are boring. If it was my choice, I’d stay at any of the value resorts (excluding sports) if they were just a bit cheaper. Theming there is blehk. The hotel looks like a photograph you’d find hanging in a yellow faded image hanging on the wall at a Piccadilly Cafeteria.

I’d also never give money to a hotel that started the destruction of sight lines at Epcot.

I never mentioned it, but I’ve BEEN to swan/Dolphin during a business trip with my dad when i was a teen. I’ve never stayed there though so I cant speak for the rooms. I dont drink (nor have I ever understood the need to) so bars are worthless. The pool looks nice but it doesn’t look any more special than any other resort’s pool.
Ahhh......the blissful ignorance of youth and inexperience. Lol.
You do you but the issue is really subjective.
Stay safe all!!!

aliceismad

The first time I saw Swan and Dolphin, I hated them. I just felt they looked tacky, and I disliked the way they kind of loomed over Epcot, Boardwalk, etc. I almost prefer the unfortunate juxtaposition of Riviera with Caribbean Beach. I've never stayed or eaten at Swan or Dolphin, but we did consider it for our 2019 trip. My husband loves Epcot, so the easy transport and cheaper price nearly swayed us. In the end, I only get a vacation once a year and feel lucky I get that much. I would rather stay somewhere that feels special if I can afford it. (Of course 15 years ago, we would've stayed off site and not cared, because we were at a different time in our lives. Our priorities have changed not only at Disney but on all vacations.)

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Ahhh......the blissful ignorance of youth and inexperience. Lol.
You do you but the issue is really subjective.
Stay safe all!!!
Who even are you? Absolutely no contributions to the conversation.
Everything is "subjective." But everything is also open for debate based on those subjectives.
Nobody cares about a middle man stance. That's boring.

elcheapo

If you take the cost of the tickets out, they are pretty much the same price
It’s supply and demand. With most resorts full Disney can pretty much charge whatever they want. It all comes down to money. If you don’t care about the price stay on site. If your looking for the most value stay off site, we’ve stayed at either Reunion resort or Regal Palms 4 bedrooms condos for around $79/ night

daisyduckie

It’s supply and demand. With most resorts full Disney can pretty much charge whatever they want. It all comes down to money. If you don’t care about the price stay on site. If your looking for the most value stay off site, we’ve stayed at either Reunion resort or Regal Palms 4 bedrooms condos for around $79/ night

Value is subjective. If you mean the cheapest, then yes, stay off site. I have many times, depending on my budget.

I have to laugh at the whole the swan and dolphin look like a retirement home thing. The Dolphin especially is far and away from a retirement home. The remodel gave it a very upscale, but vibrant, vibe. The Swan is definitely quieter.

But then, CBR was a one and done for me. Not a fan. We each have to weigh our likes and dislikes and stay where we fit.

CLBMN

Who even are you? Absolutely no contributions to the conversation.
Everything is "subjective." But everything is also open for debate based on those subjectives.
Nobody cares about a middle man stance. That's boring.
I am a poster on here, just like you. Not sure why you believe others can't post opinions.

You know you just supported my original statement/opinion with your 'reprimand', now that is boring.
Lots of people care about others' opinions no matter where they stand; I recomend listening to others better. JMO.
Are you angry because not everyone agrees with you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom