Why does Disney charge so much?

UNCgolf

Shades of Green is $170 a night. Huge rooms that sleep five. Two pools, with a water playground and water slides at one. Four on site restaurants, a shoppette with non-Disney pricing on milk and water and bread, and it's really pretty. No Disney theming though.

That's where we stay when we go to Disney

Shades of Green is only for members of the military, though, unless that's changed sometime recently. It was originally the Disney Inn but now it's a military resort.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
At the S&D you don't need to ride a bus to get to the food court or get to your park transportation for one. S&D also got basically same perks as onsite (FP, parking, package service, etc) while gaylord has none of that. I've stayed at the Gaylord plenty (work) - I would not even be looking at it for a disney stay unless it was some barn burner deal.
All fair points. But for me, again, I dont care for the theming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Shades of Green is $170 a night. Huge rooms that sleep five. Two pools, with a water playground and water slides at one. Four on site restaurants, a shoppette with non-Disney pricing on milk and water and bread, and it's really pretty. No Disney theming though.

That's where we stay when we go to Disney

Shades of green is not available for the general public...it was permanently leased to the DoD for use...

Which is a great thing...I loved the Disney Inn and the fact it’s now for military family use is fantastic.

BASS

Not nitpicking, but that's not a theming issue. At Swan & Dolphin, for example, you can walk to Epcot in a breeze. You can't do that at Gaylord. You can also walk to Hollywood Studios, although that's a little more tedious. Now, what's that worth it to you financially? That's for you to decide.

flynnibus

Premium Member

but you mention the gaylord? the gaylord atrium is nice and all... but the place is pretty generic convention hotel with a boat and animal exhibit in the atrium. S&D at least has more than just a chain hotel going for it... and things focused on why you are there in the first place (Disney).

My 02c... don't do something halfway. If you opt to go offsite, pick a path that has strong advantages.. like doing on based on price, or doing it based on amenties/value. Pick something that has a strong reason for it and not 'jack of all trades, master of none'. So I'd be staying somewhere really basic so I got great value or I'd be staying somewhere with really stand out differentiation like a house, or resort, etc. Make sure the things you give up (like time, transportation, etc) you are getting something really good for the trade-off.

Everyone has their preferences in what they value from a stay. So don't take commentary here as applying universally :)

_caleb

I think we would see Disney add more amenities and perks before we see resort rates come down. Things like FastPasses, Early Entry, the Dining Plan, free parking, transport discounts (Uber/Lyft), etc. with "softer" costs to Disney and a higher perceived value to guests when they book.

But the "K-shaped" economic recovery is going to really mess with Disney's model for resort pricing. Those who are coming out of the pandemic unscathed will have their choices of any of the resorts, but I think the "Value" resorts are going to struggle to fill rooms unless they do something to add, well, value.

John park hopper

Only military retirees and 100% disabled veterans can stay any of the 12 months out of the year. Non retirees honorable discharged can stay the 2 months that are set side. you can be sponsored by a qualified retired veteran and stay any month. Check the Shades of Green web page for exact qualifications and eligibility

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Not nitpicking, but that's not a theming issue. At Swan & Dolphin, for example, you can walk to Epcot in a breeze. You can't do that at Gaylord. You can also walk to Hollywood Studios, although that's a little more tedious. Now, what's that worth it to you financially? That's for you to decide.
I couldn’t care less about walking to the parks if it’s going to be overpriced.
but you mention the gaylord? the gaylord atrium is nice and all... but the place is pretty generic convention hotel with a boat and animal exhibit in the atrium. S&D at least has more than just a chain hotel going for it... and things focused on why you are there in the first place (Disney).

My 02c... don't do something halfway. If you opt to go offsite, pick a path that has strong advantages.. like doing on based on price, or doing it based on amenties/value. Pick something that has a strong reason for it and not 'jack of all trades, master of none'. So I'd be staying somewhere really basic so I got great value or I'd be staying somewhere with really stand out differentiation like a house, or resort, etc. Make sure the things you give up (like time, transportation, etc) you are getting something really good for the trade-off.

Everyone has their preferences in what they value from a stay. So don't take commentary here as applying universally :)
If you think the Gaylord resort is a generic hotel then I dont even feel like having this conversation. That place is awesome.

For the record, I’d like to point out I never Stayed at either. But based on advertisements, what they offer, and how their websites present the hotels, Swan/Dolphin just looks like an atrocity.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you think the Gaylord resort is a generic hotel then I dont even feel like having this conversation. That place is awesome.

I’ve probably stayed a total of a month there total over 5+ visits. I do see they have expanded though since and have put in that water park (and expanded it twice). The pool amenities was one of the site’s weaknesses prior but obviously they’ve changed that now.

The atrium is neat, but really doesn’t add much to your stay after the first few loops through it. Would be nice to take your 6yr old through... but again not applicable. And i doubt you’d be using the spa.

The water park looks nice

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I’ve probably stayed a total of a month there total over 5+ visits. I do see they have expanded though since and have put in that water park (and expanded it twice). The pool amenities was one of the site’s weaknesses prior but obviously they’ve changed that now.

The atrium is neat, but really doesn’t add much to your stay after the first few loops through it. Would be nice to take your 6yr old through... but again not applicable. And i doubt you’d be using the spa.

But again, for ME at least, it looks more attractive to swan & dolphin for the same price, if not, sometimes cheaper.

I know it all boils down to opinion though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

My problem with Gaylord...and I got a tour by the architects prior to opening as “guests” from Disney...is that it’s honestly too close/overshadowed by the greatest Disney hotel ever constructed that opened the same
Time.

It’s just “too close”...without being worth it. It’s a good convention hotel...so is royal pacific at universal...but not enough “Orlando” to hit the spot.

So now they put a great wolf mini clone in there? That’s good...it could work.

I’m just not quite into it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But again, for ME at least, it looks more attractive to swan & dolphin for the same price, if not, sometimes cheaper.

I know it all boils down to opinion though.

We are just sharing our experience as people who have not just stayed there... but actually carried the burden of owning the decisions made for others and paying for them :)

Time burned in transportation (and how much it is a hassle or not) really is the achillies heel of any disney trip. Make sure you fully understand the limits of any transportation offers (where they pickup, drop off, hours, frequency) you rely on. Good news is uber was like 10-15 a trip if I remember anywhere around bonnet creek to the parks etc. gaylord i would expect to be about the same. But using ride share at the parks is its own learning curve too...

BASS

I couldn’t care less about walking to the parks if it’s going to be overpriced.

For the record, I’d like to point out I never Stayed at either. But based on advertisements, what they offer, and how their websites present the hotels, Swan/Dolphin just looks like an atrocity.
It seems like you've made up your mind and no contrary assessment will sway you differently-and in that case, I'm not sure why you're soliciting opinions-but, here goes:

Wherever you stay, you need to travel to/from the park. If you intend to Uber, there's a fee. Same if you intend to drive to the park. If you pay a little more to stay at a hotel where you can walk to the park, there's a saving there. And, even if transportation is offered, under the current circumstances, some folks may want to avoid bus transportation. I personally despise waiting for buses and being in them. Hence, I've tried to find hotels where I can either walk or boat service is offered to at least 1 park. To me, paying a little more to avoid buses has been worth it. (IMO, that's even more the case now.)

Next, I'm not sure how you can describe the Swan/Dolphin as an "atrocity" if you've never been there? That's simply not the case. At all. (And yes, the website is outdated.) Quite frankly, I'd likely never go back to the Gaylord. I don't think you can compare the two. I think flynnibus is right . . . if you want to save some $ over the Disney hotels, do some of the cheaper off-site options. But the Gaylord? But, whatever. To each's own.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
We are just sharing our experience as people who have not just stayed there... but actually carried the burden of owning the decisions made for others and paying for them :)

Time burned in transportation (and how much it is a hassle or not) really is the achillies heel of any disney trip. Make sure you fully understand the limits of any transportation offers (where they pickup, drop off, hours, frequency) you rely on. Good news is uber was like 10-15 a trip if I remember anywhere around bonnet creek to the parks etc. gaylord i would expect to be about the same. But using ride share at the parks is its own learning curve too...
I just dont see the big deal of driving yourself to the parks (without kids). The travel time has absolutely no impact on our decision making.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom