Why does Disney charge so much?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've traveled a fair amount. I think some of the Disney hotels are fairly priced, considering what you get. Others--not so. I've been to nearly every Disney resort and I select resorts based on the price at the time and whether it's in line with what you'd reasonably expect for that price point.

I’m interested in which ones you think are and which ones you think aren’t?

(Disney micro analysis is my thang)

BASS

I’m interested in which ones you think are and which ones you think aren’t?

(Disney micro analysis is my thang)
The prices vary wildly but based on what I've seen over the years . . .

I think most of the values and moderates are priced where they ought to be. The one exception is Art of Animation. At times, it's priced reasonably; I've also seen it priced at $300+ and lol . . . no. I think the Swan and Dolphin are generally priced fairly well. I think the cabins are reasonable when it's at the $270-300 line but the further beyond $320+ and it's starting to walk into unreasonable. (Someone told me they recently checked into it and it was $800?!)

I think it's the deluxes where I have the most problem. I'd say $300-400 is fair for most; but rarely will you find any within that price point. Every last trip I've booked, I've checked the GF/Poly/Contemporary and it's generally $500+. I don't think there's any value at that price; the location for me does not make those prices worthwhile (particularly since I've seen the Contemporary at <$200 for convention rate!).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The prices vary wildly but based on what I've seen over the years . . .

I think most of the values and moderates are priced where they ought to be. The one exception is Art of Animation. At times, it's priced reasonably; I've also seen it priced at $300+ and lol . . . no. I think the Swan and Dolphin are generally priced fairly well. I think the cabins are reasonable when it's at the $270-300 line but the further beyond $320+ and it's starting to walk into unreasonable. (Someone told me they recently checked into it and it was $800?!)

I think it's the deluxes where I have the most problem. I'd say $300-400 is fair for most; but rarely will you find any within that price point. Every last trip I've booked, I've checked the GF/Poly/Contemporary and it's generally $500+. I don't think there's any value at that price; the location for me does not make those prices worthwhile (particularly since I've seen the Contemporary at <$200 for convention rate!).

The moderates used to be the most overpriced on property...but the acceleration in the “values” give them a run for their money.

I think you have to value them at base prices...because there really aren’t any significant, consistent discounts that make sense.

BASS

The moderates used to be the most overpriced on property...but the acceleration in the “values” give them a run for their money.

I think you have to value them at base prices...because there really aren’t any significant, consistent discounts that make sense.
I'm ok with the moderates in the 180-240 range. I think that price range is fair.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I'm ok with the moderates in the 180-240 range. I think that price range is fair.
I did research on the moderates and I gotta say, I’m not a fan of them. They look so boring, and they seem to be just as interesting to stay at as a hotel resort or condo on Airbnb for less than half that price.

flynnibus

Premium Member

That would look like a steal in Disney prices. Unfortunately that's the price range of the Value+ rooms like AoA/POP. The moderates are more like $270-~$440 (w/tax) before discounts. And for your wonderful $300/night room you get the privledge of having to ride multiple buses just to get anywhere... so glam.

UNCgolf

I did research on the moderates and I gotta say, I’m not a fan of them. They look so boring, and they seem to be just as interesting to stay at as a hotel resort or condo on Airbnb for less than half that price.

Port Orleans Riverside is great -- I think it's better than a couple of the deluxes. Never stayed at the French Quarter but it's probably similar.

I'm not a fan of any of the other moderates and wouldn't stay there unless they were much cheaper.

BASS

Have you looked into the Dolphin or Swan? Those tend to be fairly priced. I think you said you're 22. Both tend to be quieter than some of the more family-oriented Disney hotels, so the crowd may be more to your liking. Also, since you're connected to the boardwalk, there will be plenty of drinking and dining options a mere walk from the hotel (although I haven't been since covid and not sure what is/isn't open).

BASS

That would look like a steal in Disney prices. Unfortunately that's the price range of the Value+ rooms like AoA/POP. The moderates are more like $270-~$440 (w/tax) before discounts. And for your wonderful $300/night room you get the privledge of having to ride multiple buses just to get anywhere... so glam.
I typically purchase the passholder (although I haven't renewed since covid). Usually, I'll find those rates for the moderates.

But, yeah, 270-440 is nuts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I typically purchase the passholder (although I haven't renewed since covid). Usually, I'll find those rates for the moderates.

But, yeah, 270-440 is nuts.

You have to compare the base rates...not rotating promos that aren’t guaranteed. You can’t have a “floating” point of reference.

I can assure you that $270 is not a good deal for port orleans. The bobs have driven your value expectations down while driven your tolerance for prices up. That’s what they were tasked to do and it worked.

Those are exterior entry Moto lodges that opened with $49 rates that went for an average $125 in the 2000 era. Inflation since is not 225+%

Number are numbers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yikes. I haven't been to Disney since the pandemic and haven't planned a trip so I haven't checked in a while.

Yep...standard, no view, non-preferred is what I quoted.

Flynn is right...those prices your quoting are much closer to AoA/Pop than moderates now.

Not your fault.

I tell you what: with the skyline...pop is a HELL of a lot better deal than the mods. Not even close.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Port Orleans Riverside is great -- I think it's better than a couple of the deluxes. Never stayed at the French Quarter but it's probably similar.

I'm not a fan of any of the other moderates and wouldn't stay there unless they were much cheaper.
Yes, I forgot About Port Orleans. I was referring to the ones I saw available for my trip for renting DVC points. The options didn’t seem to interest me.

I’ve visited Port Orleans for some beignets tho! That one IS nice.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Have you looked into the Dolphin or Swan? Those tend to be fairly priced. I think you said you're 22. Both tend to be quieter than some of the more family-oriented Disney hotels, so the crowd may be more to your liking. Also, since you're connected to the boardwalk, there will be plenty of drinking and dining options a mere walk from the hotel (although I haven't been since covid and not sure what is/isn't open).
We don’t mind the noise/kids. It’s the hotel’s theming, price, and what you get with the package we care about.

Swan/Dolphin doesn’t look any more interesting than any of the other moderate hotels. What I can get at Swan & Dolphin, I can get even more for the same price from Gaylord.

Disstevefan1

Edit: Because someone is so nitpicky with the details... Yes, the suite upgrade we were looking at was for Art of Animation. The cheapest option in regards to a suite in general.

I had originally booked a 5 night stay at Pop Century for 3 adults... It was about $2,600 for a 2-bed deal. Not a suite. I later found out that we have a 4th person going so I went to upgrade to a suite and it would have cost me another $1,400-ish dollars! YIKES! The room isn't even much better than a no-tell motel!

So I go doing some research. There's hotel rooms (of the same quality) on Expedia and Airbnb going between $20 and $60 per night. And some of them don't even have parking fees. Now THAT is big savings.

On top of that? What I finalized on??... Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort.... A suite to sleep 4.... For only $1,200 for the week! That's literally insane! And I've stayed at Cabana Bay before... It's (in my opinion) much nicer than Pop Century.

My whole point is... Why in the HECK does Disney's hotels cost SO MUCH when they HAVE SO MANY hotels!! Holy guacamole!
The reason Disney can charge so much is because folks just pay the price. It’s good you are looking off site. There are beautiful off site accommodations; higher quality, lower priced, and close to the parks.

The only possible way Disney would even consider lowering prices would be if enough folks did indeed stay off site.

Now that I think of it, are there enough off site accommodations close enough to the WDW parks that even if there was a mass exodus to the off site accommodations, would that make enough of a dent in business for Disney to even react?

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
The reason Disney can charge so much is because folks just pay the price. It’s good you are looking off site. There are beautiful off site accommodations; higher quality, lower priced, and close to the parks.

The only possible way Disney would even consider lowering prices would be if enough folks did indeed stay off site.

Now that I think of it, are there enough off site accommodations close enough to the WDW parks that even if there was a mass exodus to the off site accommodations, would that make enough of a dent in business for Disney to even react?
If you add both the hotels AND Airbnb/other similar offerings... and if the demand for cheaper lodging was out there, then I’d say there would be more than enough offsite accommodations to get disney to bat their eyes.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Shades of Green is $170 a night. Huge rooms that sleep five. Two pools, with a water playground and water slides at one. Four on site restaurants, a shoppette with non-Disney pricing on milk and water and bread, and it's really pretty. No Disney theming though.

That's where we stay when we go to Disney

BASS

We don’t mind the noise/kids. It’s the hotel’s theming, price, and what you get with the package we care about.

Swan/Dolphin doesn’t look any more interesting than any of the other moderate hotels. What I can get at Swan & Dolphin, I can get even more for the same price from Gaylord.
Caveat: I have not stayed at Gaylord. However, I did spend nearly a day there a couple Christmases ago at that little fair they put together. Personally, if the prices are the same, hands down I prefer Swan/Dolphin. Location. Many dining options nearby. Transportation. (Can't compare the rooms.)

flynnibus

Premium Member

At the S&D you don't need to ride a bus to get to the food court or get to your park transportation for one. S&D also got basically same perks as onsite (FP, parking, package service, etc) while gaylord has none of that. I've stayed at the Gaylord plenty (work) - I would not even be looking at it for a disney stay unless it was some barn burner deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom