Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Isn't this already known?
Today Biden officially announced the purchase of the 3rd set of 100M doses from each company. That was reported earlier but not made official. The timeline was moved up too. The original story was 300M by the end of August. Each company committed to move it up to end of July. On the May date, Pfizer officially announced their earlier date. Moderna was not officially announced. Moderna said they could deliver sooner if/when the FDA approves a new process that will allow them to increase the number of doses in each vial by as much as 50%. Today, Biden announced that both companies are now contractually obligated to deliver 200M doses by May and 300M by the end of July. Guarantees enough doses for everyone who wants one by the end of July at the latest. With JnJ in the mix likely moves it up to May.

cjack300zx

My mom and dad (76 and 81) got their second shot of the moderna vaccine yesterday, they followed the instructions of a family member who is a RN to take two Tylenol and then three hours later take two Motrin and repeat that process the first 24hrs after getting the shot. The only side effect they had is a sore arm, no fever or feeling sick or under weather.

Shouldigo12

I was in bed the entire day the day after my second Moderna. I did have less arm pain with the second shot compared to the first.
That's funny- it was the exact opposite for my mom. She was exhausted after the first shot for days and only had a little arm pain. After the second, she was a little tired but you couldn't even lightly touch her arm without it hurting.

ToTBellHop

Pfizer confirmed they anticipate results for 12-15 year olds in the “early part of 2021” and will next move to 5- to 11-year olds, with Fauci commenting that first graders could receive vaccine in September.

Moderna will study kids as young as 6 months but will age deescalate and start with half doses, so results wouldn’t be expected until 2022.

And the NIH told the President that these two vaccines should have no problem with variants. They showed him models because he actually wants to learn the science.

ToTBellHop

By mid-summer, we'll have twice the number of vaccines than the total of all people in the U.S., children included.

So, there will be plenty of the first vaccine that is OK'd for children to get them all jabbed lickety-split.
It appears that will be Pfizer. I wonder if they will start stockpiling that once the 51% who are eager to get vaccine are done and then they could preferentially give Moderna or JnJ to the stragglers as they stumble in while keeping Pfizer doses for kids once they’re eligible.

It would certainly be less wasteful than ending up with excess Moderna or JnJ vaccines with no arms available.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
It appears that will be Pfizer. I wonder if they will start stockpiling that once the 51% who are eager to get vaccine are done and then they could preferentially give Moderna or JnJ to the stragglers as they stumble in while keeping Pfizer doses for kids once they’re eligible.

It would certainly be less wasteful than ending up with excess Moderna or JnJ vaccines with no arms available.
I could see that happen. If Pfizer gets approved for kids 12-15 some time in April I could see them immediately start to divert those doses to kid clinics. By then there should be plenty of JnJ and Moderna for the adults who want a shot.

There are roughly 60M kids under 12 so if they wanted to do it the US government could hold back all of the 3rd 100M Pfizer doses (expected to be delivered in June and July) for when more kids get approval. I’m hoping at least all school age kids get the approval before the start of the next school year. It would be great to get kids back to real school next fall. Not sure that can happen if kids aren’t vaccinated.

Epcot_Imagineer

I'm already seeing talks of people in my community/friends saying unless they get Pfizer/Moderna, they don't want a vaccine. I'm very curious how the government is going to respond to this; the news made a huge fanfare with the ~95% efficacy. Now that the other vaccines are showing anything less than that, people are discouraged. Will this just be a case of take what you're given, or will there continue to be people hunting down the two coveted vaccines, leaving JnJ and others to lay unused after the people in the camp of "Any vaccine will do" use them?

ToTBellHop

I'm already seeing talks of people in my community/friends saying unless they get Pfizer/Moderna, they don't want a vaccine. I'm very curious how the government is going to respond to this; the news made a huge fanfare with the ~95% efficacy. Now that the other vaccines are showing anything less than that, people are discouraged. Will this just be a case of take what you're given, or will there continue to be people hunting down the two coveted vaccines, leaving JnJ and others to lay unused after the people in the camp of "Any vaccine will do" use them?
Not everyone in America is educated enough to care. Those who do, I’m sure, will manage to find Pfizer and Moderna doses. A quick perusal of Facebook will show you that there is no shortage of people who have no idea how well these vaccines work or even what the brands are.

If they save the last 100 million Pfizer doses for kids, the remaining 500 million doses between the two companies are more than enough for those who care which brand they get. Even without any other companies, we have enough doses for 90% of Americans. At least 10% have no intention of getting any vaccine, so we will be good. Those who accept JnJ just speed up the process.

Imagine having to rough it in 3rd world countries like the UK where most people have to get AstraZeneca! We need to help those poor people!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
The one shot and done approach is very appealing to a lot of people. I‘ve seen people say they were happy to wait for JnJ since it means only 1 jab. Everyone should get whatever shot they can whenever they can. Waiting is a bad idea.

I said a while back I think they should do mass rollouts of JnJ to essential workers starting March 1. Keep going with Pfizer and Moderna with 65+ and people with co-morbidities until that group is done. They can send JnJ directly to schools, factories, WDW, Amazon, Walmart, etc to do their workers. People won’t need to hunt for appointments or go sit in long lines, they will get the shots right at work and not miss a beat and no need for a follow up appointment either. We can utilize JnJ at a 90%+ rate of use since there is no need to hold back second shots.

For anyone on the fence there is no reason you can’t get JnJ in March and then go back and get a Pfizer or Moderna shot later this summer as a booster. It’s also possible that if the JnJ 2 shot trial shows much better results that they recommend a second JnJ shot anyway. I still think with these variants there is a chance we all need another shot this Fall anyway.

ToTBellHop

The one shot and done approach is very appealing to a lot of people. I‘ve seen people say they were happy to wait for JnJ since it means only 1 jab. Everyone should get whatever shot they can whenever they can. Waiting is a bad idea.

I said a while back I think they should do mass rollouts of JnJ to essential workers starting March 1. Keep going with Pfizer and Moderna with 65+ and people with co-morbidities until that group is done. They can send JnJ directly to schools, factories, WDW, Amazon, Walmart, etc to do their workers. People won’t need to hunt for appointments or go sit in long lines, they will get the shots right at work and not miss a beat and no need for a follow up appointment either. We can utilize JnJ at a 90%+ rate of use since there is no need to hold back second shots.

For anyone on the fence there is no reason you can’t get JnJ in March and then go back and get a Pfizer or Moderna shot later this summer as a booster. It’s also possible that if the JnJ 2 shot trial shows much better results that they recommend a second JnJ shot anyway. I still think with these variants there is a chance we all need another shot this Fall anyway.
I doubt that would work in America. We demand to make our own decisions and many essential workers are angry that they’ve had to wait this long. They won’t settle for the “pretty good” vaccine when they can get the “great“ one.

You can’t shout “95% efficacy!” from the rooftops and then expect educated people to forget. Many teachers, for example, are frustrated at STILL not having access to vaccine while people demand that schools go back full-time. We educators, not surprisingly, are educated. Every colleague I speak with is very clear: we want Moderna or Pfizer, we’ve had high exposure since August, and we will have the vaccines that work the best.

The recent purchase of enough doses for 300 million of us suggests the administration is well-aware that their only hope of herd immunity in America is from pushing the excellent vaccines and save JnJ for those who prefer one shot and don’t care about the lower efficacy. But FORCING someone to get JnJ won’t fly here. MY RIGHTS!

It’s easy to speak in hypotheticals and say, “I’d get whatever I could get,” but in the real world, you sign up for an appointment and know you are going to a 2-dose appointment. I would select the 2 dose every time. JnJ clinics, during the initial rollout, would likely be separate and ideal for mobile vaccination clinics in areas without enough pharmacies or hospitals or with populations that do not have health insurance. You can bring a truck with JnJ right to those neighborhoods this summer--1 shot, no questions asked, and done.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I doubt that would work in America. We demand to make our own decisions and many essential workers are angry that they’ve had to wait this long. They won’t settle for the “pretty good” vaccine when they can get the “great“ one.

You can’t shout “95% efficacy!” from the rooftops and then expect educated people to forget. Many teachers, for example, are frustrated at STILL not having access to vaccine while people demand that schools go back full-time. We educators, not surprisingly, are educated. Every colleague I speak with is very clear: we want Moderna or Pfizer, we’ve had high exposure since August, and we will have the vaccines that work the best.

The recent purchase of enough doses for 300 million of us suggests the administration is well-aware that their only hope of herd immunity in America is from pushing the excellent vaccines and save JnJ for those who prefer one shot and don’t care about the lower efficacy. But FORCING someone to get JnJ won’t fly here. MY RIGHTS!

It’s easy to speak in hypotheticals and say, “I’d get whatever I could get,” but in the real world, you sign up for an appointment and know you are going to a 2-dose appointment. I would select the 2 dose every time. JnJ clinics, during the initial rollout, would likely be separate and ideal for mobile vaccination clinics in areas without enough pharmacies or hospitals or with populations that do not have health insurance. You can bring a truck with JnJ right to those neighborhoods this summer--1 shot, no questions asked, and done.
We can agree to disagree on this. People are going to get whatever shot is available to them. They have every right to not get it and wait if they want to. If the government sends JnJ shots to the school districts in March and a teacher says they don‘t want that shot then that’s their prerogative and they can certainly not get it. Then they just wait until later in the Spring when the shots are open to everyone and they can get whatever they want at CVS or Walgreens.

correcaminos

Not going to quote but just talking about the different shots. My spouse has a letter from his company saying he is essential. We cannot use it yet. We are both educated probably more than average since I've been in the trial, I keep up on differences because it's now a hobby of mine. He's not angry he is waiting. He has minor minor risks but not major like many. He's still happy to get the J&J shot and leave the others for more at risk.

One thing this pandemic has made abundantly clear to me is that too many Americans are self serving. Get what it is offered when offered. End of story. People who wait to get the right shot are being almost just as bad as those who are anti-vaxxer. Neither helps us as a whole.

GimpYancIent

We can agree to disagree on this. People are going to get whatever shot is available to them. They have every right to not get it and wait if they want to. If the government sends JnJ shots to the school districts in March and a teacher says they don‘t want that shot then that’s their prerogative and they can certainly not get it. Then they just wait until later in the Spring when the shots are open to everyone and they can get whatever they want at CVS or Walgreens.
It is sad that getting vaccinated (those that want to be vaccinated) can not simply go to CVS or Walgreens or other appropriate facility and get it on request. The whole supply and demand plus priority list coupled with the accountability all that entails is understood. Those that have jobs / careers where vaccination is the wise choice but refuse to make that choice, well, possibly choosing another job or career field would be wise. Lastly if JnJ can crank out the single dose vaccines in sufficient volume maybe this backlog can be reduced to where anyone desiring to get vaccinated can do so simply by going to CVS or Walgreens etc.

ToTBellHop

Not going to quote but just talking about the different shots. My spouse has a letter from his company saying he is essential. We cannot use it yet. We are both educated probably more than average since I've been in the trial, I keep up on differences because it's now a hobby of mine. He's not angry he is waiting. He has minor minor risks but not major like many. He's still happy to get the J&J shot and leave the others for more at risk.

One thing this pandemic has made abundantly clear to me is that too many Americans are self serving. Get what it is offered when offered. End of story. People who wait to get the right shot are being almost just as bad as those who are anti-vaxxer. Neither helps us as a whole.
I don’t think it’s selfish to want what-you-deem the best product for yourself or your family. I don’t buy less effective cold medicines. And, in any event, we need strong vaccine uptake, and I do not think the new administration would have entered into additional contracts with Pfizer and Moderna if they did not expect that’s what most people will want. 400 million from them plus 100 million from JnJ was already enough. So why did they buy more? Most of those extra doses will arrive after the JnJ ones.

The only explanation is that most people will want the Pfizer or Moderna ones. JnJ will be largely used for select populations and then donated to other countries.

I also think you are expecting more than JnJ can realistically provide. Some states have already moved on to essential workers. For the rest, the move is imminent. There will not be much available from JnJ in the next month. That’s more toward April, during what Fauci describes as “open season”, after essential workers are already taken care of.

Plus, 27% of teachers are already eligible and receiving the current vaccines. There other 73% are scratching their heads over why they aren’t eligible in their states. Many would not take kindly to a JnJ shot in April.

And, again, we need vaccine uptake. Angering people in an otherwise willing-to-vaccinate group lowers uptake. We can’t afford that.

That is why we have bought enough Moderna and Pfizer vaccine for 91% of us.

correcaminos

I don’t think it’s selfish to want what-you-deem the best product for yourself or your family. I don’t buy less effective cold medicines. And, in any event, we need strong vaccine uptake, and I do not think the new administration would have entered into additional contracts with Pfizer and Moderna if they did not expect that’s what most people will want. 400 million from them plus 100 million from JnJ was already enough. So why did they buy more? Most of those extra doses will arrive after the JnJ ones.

The only explanation is that most people will want the Pfizer or Moderna ones. JnJ will be largely used for select populations and then donated to other countries.

I also think you are expecting more than JnJ can realistically provide. Some states have already moved on to essential workers. For the rest, the move is imminent. There will not be much available from JnJ in the next month. That’s more toward April, during what Fauci describes as “open season”, after essential workers are already taken care of.

Plus, 27% of teachers are already eligible and receiving the current vaccines. There other 73% are scratching their heads over why they aren’t eligible in their states. Many would not take kindly to a JnJ shot in April.

And, again, we need vaccine uptake. Angering people in an otherwise willing-to-vaccinate group lowers uptake. We can’t afford that.

That is why we have bought enough Moderna and Pfizer vaccine for 91% of us.
You have your opinions and I have mine. We do not have enough supply for a few reasons which is why one needs to take what they can get. It is not our job to decide which shot we receive. I mean should all wait for Pfizer/BioNTech because side effects are less? It's the same thing

And yes, if you delay the pandemic because you are being picky, then you are selfish. I'll repeat it is not our job to decide which shot we receive. I wish people would stop acting like they know better and have a right to choose. I am really tired of selfish people. If J&J is offered, take it. We will here because every vaccine given lessens pandemic and risk of further mutations of the virus.

Lucky for those who get shots. We are still waiting her for my now proven essential spouse to get it. I think you are missing the massive supply issues at hand which is why if J&J is approved just shut up and take it. I know I am vocal on this but so dang tired of people needing to research. We aren't doctors. Just do as you are told or stay home.

ToTBellHop

You have your opinions and I have mine. We do not have enough supply for a few reasons which is why one needs to take what they can get. It is not our job to decide which shot we receive. I mean should all wait for Pfizer/BioNTech because side effects are less? It's the same thing

And yes, if you delay the pandemic because you are being picky, then you are selfish. I'll repeat it is not our job to decide which shot we receive. I wish people would stop acting like they know better and have a right to choose. I am really tired of selfish people. If J&J is offered, take it. We will here because every vaccine given lessens pandemic and risk of further mutations of the virus.

Lucky for those who get shots. We are still waiting her for my now proven essential spouse to get it. I think you are missing the massive supply issues at hand which is why if J&J is approved just shut up and take it. I know I am vocal on this but so dang tired of people needing to research. We aren't doctors. Just do as you are told or stay home.
Wow...attitudes like that will ensure we never achieve herd immunity. Thank goodness the folks making the decisions are a bit more pragmatic.

“Shut up and take your shot” may work in China but not the USA. People won’t even wear masks appropriately.

Let’s circle back on this in August and see who was correct.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Bingo. By the time we get J&J rolling out, we will not be in a spot where those who are at risk still can’t get scheduled

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom