Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

lazyboy97o

Yep. Children's video game with a racing aspect.

Actual racing games...

I didn't see turtle shells, bananas, coins are ANYTHING like that in ANY of those racing games.

You should tell Nintendo. The first thing they highlight about Mario Kart 8 is “Race anytime, anywhere!” not “Shoot anytime, anywhere!”. They also highlight all of the tracks and the steering. But yes, at the bottom, after the racing stuff, they highlight the Power Ups and Battle Mode.

Tom Morrow

I think Mario Kart is much closer of a game to super mario world 3D than it is Grand Turismo 7.

But maybe it's just me.
It is just you, man. Sorry.

The goal of Mario Kart is to cross the finish line before the other racers. AKA, a race. The items are a gimmick that can be used strategically to help you cross the finish line before the other racers. In fact, the "rubber band AI" of Mario Kart dictates that skilled driving and use of power sliding is more crucial to winning races than the use of items.

If it were a platforming game like Super Mario 3D World, the goal would be to simply get to the end, without mattering who got to it first.

Last edited:

JT3000

"I will those to continue to deny that Mario Kart is a racing video game rather than admit that Universal may have missed the mark once again." - Universal fanboys, Universal paid shills, and contrarians.
Did you remember to complain this much when Disney made a Millennium Falcon ride that's just an on-rails simulator with some buttons, that completely fails to replicate the experience of piloting, shooting, etc?

Last edited:

thelookingglass

Did you remember to complain this much when Disney made a Millennium Falcon ride that's just an on-rails simulator with some buttons, that completely fails to replicate the experience of piloting, shooting, etc?

Like most of you, I agree that Smuggler's Run is not great. But, at least it attempts to be what we want - a flight simulator. At least I didn't walk into "pilot the Millennium Falcon!" and get an omimover or something. You can reasonably make the connections between what people want, concept, and execution. You can't do that with this.

J4546

smugglers run was such a dissapointment to me lol. But RotR is top notch. Smugglers could still be saved though with some modifications and go from a c to a solid a imo

Tom Morrow

Several pages ago I called that Smuggler's Run would be the go-to "whatabout" response once the criticisms toward Mario Kart got too heated, and I was right.

Smugglers could still be saved though with some modifications and go from a c to a solid a imo

Yes. Smuggler's Run's issues stem not from its ride system, but rather:

- the mission is uninspired. We're basically running an errand with low stakes.
- the lack of connection to Hondo to anyone who didn't watch The Clone Wars and whatever else he appeared in.
- the lack of influence your actions have on the outcome. A skilled crew gets two containers instead of one.... yay.

All of this can be changed with relative ease. I also agree with above - this is a case of not being quite what the audience wanted yet having a reasonable explanation behind the decisions made, vs. being so blatantly not what the audience wanted that it really should not have left the "blue sky" concept stage.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

"I will those to continue to deny that Mario Kart is a racing video game rather than admit that Universal may have missed the mark once again." - Universal fanboys, Universal paid shills, and contrarians.
And no, I don't think they missed the mark. Nintendo has historically been ripped in the video game industry for being too "kiddie" oriented. Nintendo is up there with Disney in their reputation for family friendly fare. Maybe even more so than Disney. Here is a video of Miyomoto in 2016 talking about the land's development.

I think this sentence was overlooked at the time.

Screenshot-20210210-174741.png

Universal built a family friendly dark ride with practical sets and animatronics that includes the racing aspect along with being a state of the art shooter.

Exactly what you guys have been apoplectic that Universal doesn't have forever.

First it was the land is too cramped. Then it was it's too colorful and plastic. Then it was "OMG!!!!! Mario Kart is nothing but screenz!!!", then when that fell through it is "OMG!!! It's too slow! This is the biggest fail EVAH!!!!" It has been an exercise in moving the goal posts to maintain your apoplexy about the existence of Universal.

I can usually tell how good a Universal ride is by how spun out the folks here are. It bodes well for the success of this ride and land.

I will be thrilled when I finally get to experience this land first hand along with the unthemed bareazz naked steel abomination they are building in Jurassic Park in IOA.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

And no, I don't think they missed the mark. Nintendo has historically been ripped in the video game industry for being too "kiddie" oriented. Nintendo is up there with Disney in their reputation for family friendly fare. Maybe even more so than Disney. Here is a video of Miyomoto in 2016 talking about the land's development.

I think this sentence was overlooked at the time.

Screenshot-20210210-174741.png

Universal built a family friendly dark ride with practical sets and animatronics that includes the racing aspect along with being a state of the art shooter.

Exactly what you guys have been apoplectic that Universal doesn't have forever.

First it was the land is too cramped. Then it was it's too colorful and plastic. Then it was "OMG!!!!! Mario Kart is nothing but screenz!!!", then when that fell through it is "OMG!!! It's too slow! This is the biggest fail EVAH!!!!" It has been an exercise in moving the goal posts to maintain your apoplexy about the existence of Universal.

I can usually tell how good a Universal ride is by how spun out the folks here are. It bodes well for the success of this ride and land.

Oh whoops except it's not for all ages, it has a 42 inch height requirement. Funny, Radiator Springs Racers is only 40 inches...

I haven't moved the goal posts... I've... added on to them? The land is cramped. It looks plasticy. Mario Kart looks to be a subpar experience even when ignoring how badly it misses the mark of what a Mario Kart ride should be. They could re-skin it to be Not Mario Kart if they wanted better reception, but it would still be reminiscent of a MotionGate ride with a slightly higher budget.

"I judge rides based on how much people who heavily analyze theme park quality dislike them" is textbook contrarianism. You're also in the vast, vast minority that thinks Rise of the Resistance is bad, so, while you're entitled to your opinion, saying that that is bad while this is perfectly fine and awesome is hard to take seriously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom