Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The US has been doing about 1M vaccinations a day. And the numbers have only been going up. Vaccine acceptance has also been going up to.
1.8M vaccinations today. New record :). We will be north of 2M by end of Feb and hopefully approaching 3M by end of March once JnJ ramps up. I am confident we will have enough doses for anyone who wants one by the end of May or possibly June. I am hopeful that as the doses become available and easier to get acceptance goes up more too. I am realistic enough to know that some percentage of people will never get the vaccine. I am hoping that on e the dust settles it’s closer to 90% than 70% vaccinated but anything less than 70% is a real problem.

Polkadotdress

I wouldn't be so sure. I think once America lifts all of its COVID restrictions other countries would quickly follow. Regardless of their own COVID situation.
Yeah...no. We currently don’t have a lot of Covid restrictions in this country, yet many other countries are announcing new lockdowns, or extending the ones they have. They are not copying what we are doing, and instead are literally doing the OPPOSITE of what we are doing.

Patcheslee

The US has been doing about 1M vaccinations a day. And the numbers have only been going up. Vaccine acceptance has also been going up to.
Our county is now averaging 340-410 doses per day, they just did the nursing home this week with Walgreens. Adult population is 31345, 1063 fully vaccinated, and 4689 first dose administered. So 55,875 doses for 100% adult population to go. I still see full day openings as soon as next Wednesday Feb 10th at the hospital. Health department 3 blocks from the hospital doesn't have availability until Feb 24th. I really don't see why the large discrepancy except the health department was the only place for awhile and booked over a month out when it was 70+ or HCW.
I only know of maybe 3 people I work with wanting the vaccine. 1 is a 64yo, one my coworker who's wife is a dentist, and the other has an elderly mom whom he hasn't gotten to see. The rest on my work group of about 15ppl say they're not susceptible, have already had covid, or don't "trust" it. Very small sample size in a very red county.

Tom P.

No way of knowing. I think Israel is going to be a good place to watch. They are at 22% of their population already vaccinated with 2 doses and 38% with at least 1. We should get a good indication of how fast cases can/will drop watching them since we are a month or 2 behind them. I think restrictions will be relaxed gradually but won’t be fully gone until cases drop way down.
Remember that there really aren't any federal restrictions per se. In our system, those kinds of things are left up to state governments. Each state is going to be different in how quickly restrictions are lifted. I think you will see some states push to lift all restrictions and return to total normalcy by early Spring. I think you will see other states that try to hold on to some restrictions through the end of the year. A lot, of course, depends on how things ultimately play out with vaccine distribution as well as trends of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. But, regardless, not every state is going to do it the same.

None-the-less, I think the prediction of many/most restrictions being lifted by sometime in Summer, assuming vaccine distribution stays on the path it seems to be, is reasonable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Remember that there really aren't any federal restrictions per se. In our system, those kinds of things are left up to state governments. Each state is going to be different in how quickly restrictions are lifted. I think you will see some states push to lift all restrictions and return to total normalcy by early Spring. I think you will see other states that try to hold on to some restrictions through the end of the year. A lot, of course, depends on how things ultimately play out with vaccine distribution as well as trends of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. But, regardless, not every state is going to do it the same.

None-the-less, I think the prediction of many/most restrictions being lifted by sometime in Summer, assuming vaccine distribution stays on the path it seems to be, is reasonable.
It goes beyond even the states. FL right now has almost no restrictions on any activity but local governments and individual businesses are setting their own rules. For example Disney has implemented restrictions far greater than what the state of FL would require. So not only will each state relax restrictions at different times but large national chains and companies like Disney or the NFL or hotel operators could still choose to keep covid restrictions longer.

I‘m bullish on a much better summer than last year. Too soon to say back to normal, but maybe more normal.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I'm scared next winter resurgence of the virus if the pandemic will not end by August, September or October if all people isn't enough getting vaccine, WE'RE DOOM! Is pandemic will end by end of summer? I'm scared.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm scared next winter resurgence of the virus if the pandemic will not end by August, September or October if all people isn't enough getting vaccine, WE'RE DOOM! Is pandemic will end by end of summer? I'm scared.

I think it's almost guaranteed that you will see an up-swing in cases next winter, but even without herd immunity it should be much better then it was this year.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
^ I think the pandemic will be over by then in end of the summer so there may not going to be more cases in next winter @danlb_2000 right @GoofGoof?

This virus has spread to every corner of the world, it will be hard to totally eliminate the virus. Even if vaccinations go well and we get it under control in the US, I still think you could see small outbreaks pop up next winter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
^ I think the pandemic will be over by then in end of the summer so there may not going to be more cases in next winter @danlb_2000 right @GoofGoof?
This virus has spread to every corner of the world, it will be hard to totally eliminate the virus. Even if vaccinations go well and we get it under control in the US, I still think you could see small outbreaks pop up next winter.
Worldwide the pandemic won’t be over by the end of summer. My guess is if the US has things under control (God willing) we will still see heavy restrictions on international travel and cruise ships. This is why they still need to invest in testing and tracing going forward. The timeline may not be linear for this pandemic. If we continue to ramp up testing and tracing and then if there’s an outbreak we can react, snuff it out and move on similar to a measles outbreak on a larger scale. With a large portion of the population vaccinated it should be difficult for community spread to get ramped up and if we do mass testing and heavy tracing we should be able to isolate the sick and prevent major spread in the unvaccinated or under-vaccinated crowd. Will there be a winter wave like this year, I would hope not.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Worldwide the pandemic won’t be over by the end of summer. My guess is if the US has things under control (God willing) we will still see heavy restrictions on international travel and cruise ships. This is why they still need to invest in testing and tracing going forward. The timeline may not be linear for this pandemic. If we continue to ramp up testing and tracing and then if there’s an outbreak we can react, snuff it out and move on similar to a measles outbreak on a larger scale. With a large portion of the population vaccinated it should be difficult for community spread to get ramped up and if we do mass testing and heavy tracing we should be able to isolate the sick and prevent major spread in the unvaccinated or under-vaccinated crowd. Will there be a winter wave like this year, I would hope not.
Assuming the virus doesn't ( god forbid) mutate past the workings of the vaccine. The logistics of making this a yearly shot are scary.

Kevin_W

First -- the government does undertake persuasion efforts. That's why they hold briefings, that's why they publicize politicians getting the vaccine, former Presidents getting it. And there will be more of an advertising campaign later on.

More than just government officials - in Ohio (Columbus area, at least) we've had commercials for quite some time with Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer (past 2 OSU football coaches, for those unaware) to spread Covid messaging.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Assuming the virus doesn't ( god forbid) mutate past the workings of the vaccine. The logistics of making this a yearly shot are scary.
Pfizer and Moderna can quickly modify their mRNA vaccines and as we speak Pfizer is working through a process to manufacture a powder version that doesn’t need the cold storage that should be ready before the end of year. I’m not saying a severe mutation isn’t a big deal, but it can be dealt with using the vaccine technology. If it becomes an annual shot it will become more like the flu shot which rarely has issues with lack of availability.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So judging by what y'all are saying, should Disney be ready to lift restrictions come the 50th?
Sure :)

I have no real say...but I think it’s possible that most if not all restrictions are lifted by October. I think it will be gradual though not all at once so we will start seeing restrictions phased out in Spring into the Summer depending on how the vaccine rollout goes. If 70 to 80% of the population has been a vaccinated for months I see no reason all restrictions would be around.

JAKECOTCenter

So Disney could debut a new nighttime parade this fall if all goes to plan... I'm not gonna think about it now because there's too much uncertainty but if it's not the Main Street Electrical Parade I riot :cool:

flutas

No way of knowing. I think Israel is going to be a good place to watch. They are at 22% of their population already vaccinated with 2 doses and 38% with at least 1. We should get a good indication of how fast cases can/will drop watching them since we are a month or 2 behind them. I think restrictions will be relaxed gradually but won’t be fully gone until cases drop way down.

Is this 22 + 38, or 22 + 16 (38)?

Curious as I haven't been keeping up with numbers outside the US for a while.

LittleBuford

That’s too bad. I would not be happy if our government just conceded that restrictions are going to be around for another year. I get that vaccine deliveries are not always in the control of the government, but it’s still a tough pill to swallow and especially since we are one month into the year seems a little early to throw in the towel.
I view it as being realistic rather than throwing in the towel, particularly in light of what most scientists seem to be saying. I live in the US and don’t expect things to be back to normal by the summer, much as I hope they will be.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

That’s too bad. I would not be happy if our government just conceded that restrictions are going to be around for another year. I get that vaccine deliveries are not always in the control of the government, but it’s still a tough pill to swallow and especially since we are one month into the year seems a little early to throw in the towel.
Some restrictions will be gone by fall here. They expect masks and social distancing to still be around for a little after people are vaccinated. It's cause the vaccine doesn't get rid of Covid or stop the spread. It just makes symptoms less severe. I personally don't mind wearing masks or being physically distant from others. I like my space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom