All things Universal Studios Hollywood

PostScott

Anyone remember at IAAPA like a few years ago when some manufacturer (I forgot who and I can't find it) introduced a race car attraction model where you could do inversions and move at angles? I remember everyone saying that the mario kart ride was gonna use it but I guess not. Kinda disappointing but oh well.

Edit: Man I don't usually like watching new attractions that come out because I always like to be surprised but someone said it looks really slow so I got confused and wanted to watch the first couple seconds. I ended up watching the whole thing and man, thats really disappointing. With Universal being a more "thrilling" park chain, I was hoping for cars to actually be moving faster than 5 mph and racing. I like all of the physical sets and it's very detailed, I'll give it that. It looks like UC spent alot of time into designing each room and the Rainbow road/ending section looks really neat. However, the ride experience kills it all. I love mario kart and expected it to be more.... adventurous I guess? Maybe the AR glasses will help out with the lackluster ride experience so you can't see how slow you're moving but come on UC. It literally just looks like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin but Mario Kart themed. I wish they could've told us this before that it was more of a family attraction. Did they ever say that? Did I miss something?

Last edited:

Rich T

There is a ride through posted on the WDW side. Ill just say Im massively disappointed with what I saw.
Not me: I LOVE this!!!! I know many people (myself included) were hoping for more of a thrill ride, but—aside from being the best shooter ride ever—this perfectly captures the spirit, humor, charm and chaos of Mariokart. And considering the AR will look much better in person... I can’t wait for this to arrive in CA.

Rich T

The part of the queue that goes through Bowser’s study/war room is possibly my favorite area in any theme park ever. Everything that came after that on the Universal Parks News Today video was gravy. : D

Rich T

Wow! Some of those set pieces actually look incredible, I'm impressed. This video does make the ride seem pretty slow moving..
Have you watched the full AR ride through? It’s very crazy and chaotic, with things happening everywhere. So it turns out this is a shooter more than a race ride. As a big Mario fan, I am very happy right now. :D

Rich T

Anyone remember at IAAPA like a few years ago when some manufacturer (I forgot who and I can't find it) introduced a race car attraction model where you could do inversions and move at angles? I remember everyone saying that the mario kart ride was gonna use it but I guess not. Kinda disappointing but oh well.

Edit: Man I don't usually like watching new attractions that come out because I always like to be surprised but someone said it looks really slow so I got confused and wanted to watch the first couple seconds. I ended up watching the whole thing and man, thats really disappointing. With Universal being a more "thrilling" park chain, I was hoping for cars to actually be moving faster than 5 mph and racing. I like all of the physical sets and it's very detailed, I'll give it that. It looks like UC spent alot of time into designing each room and the Rainbow road/ending section looks really neat. However, the ride experience kills it all. I love mario kart and expected it to be more.... adventurous I guess? Maybe the AR glasses will help out with the lackluster ride experience so you can't see how slow you're moving but come on UC. It literally just looks like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin but Mario Kart themed. I wish they could've told us this before that it was more of a family attraction. Did they ever say that? Did I miss something?
It’s a shooter. Look at it that way. It’s not a thrill ride, but—in person—might end up being the best interactive ride ever.

mickEblu

Not me: I LOVE this!!!! I know many people (myself included) were hoping for more of a thrill ride, but—aside from being the best shooter ride ever—this perfectly captures the spirit, humor, charm and chaos of Mariokart. And considering the AR will look much better in person... I can’t wait for this to arrive in CA.

I assume that the tech will look amazing in person and that the ride will be fun in a TSMM kind of way but sorry, you can’t make a Mario Kart ride that moves at the speed of Pinocchio’s Daring Journey or Mr. Toads Wild Ride at best. It just bugs me when you think all the pieces are there for a slam dunk and it gets botched. Also, Why they didn’t use that ride system we saw in that video where the cars can spin on that track is beyond me. Who are they making these rides for? 3.5 years olds can ride Big Thunder. I’m sure the 3 and under crowd who won’t understand the gameplay component anyway would have “been ok” with waiting another few inches to ride.

mickEblu

I agree. Ive said many times and I'll say it again, modern imagineers continue to prioritize tech to overall ride experience and fun. They need to reassess why they are doing what they are doing.

Rich T

I assume that the tech will look amazing in person and that the ride will be fun in a TSMM kind of way but sorry, you can’t make a Mario Kart ride that moves at the speed of Pinocchio’s Daring Journey or Mr. Toads Wild Ride at best. It just bugs me when you think all the pieces are there for a slam dunk and it gets botched. Also, Why they didn’t use that ride system we saw in that video where the cars can spin on that track is beyond me. Who are they making these rides for? 3.5 years olds can ride Big Thunder. I’m sure the 3 and under crowd who won’t understand the gameplay component anyway would have “been ok” with waiting another few inches to ride.
Don’t judge too harshly until you try it yourself. Toy Story Mania works for every age. I think that, between the nonstop chaotic AR, the movement through the sets, swerving, rumbling, live effects, the sound, and riders playing a frantic game where they aim by moving their heads... I think it’s gonna be a lot of fun and very rerideable.
(Edit)
Just to be clear: When I first saw how slowly the cars move, my first reaction was, “Oh.” But then I just got caught up in tbe details and the way the game works, and I ended up charmed.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Don’t judge too harshly until you try it yourself. Toy Story Mania works for every age. I think that, between the nonstop chaotic AR, the movement through the sets, swerving, rumbling, live effects, the sound, and riders playing a frantic game where they aim by moving their heads... I think it’s gonna be a lot of fun and very rerideable.

To be clear i wasn’t expecting Test Track with sets and AR but is 20 mph too much to ask?

Last edited:

Rich T

To be clear i wasn’t expecting Test Track with sets and AR but is 20 mph too much go ask?
For an indoor coaster, no. For a dark ride, yes, that’s too fast. I do think Universal could have told us ahead of time that this is a shooter game/ride, but... that’s Theme Park PR at work...

Mac Tonight

I can only reserve full judgement until I can actually ride it... which, let's be honest, probably won't be for a VERY long time... but overall, I think I'm definitely NOT a big fan of AR ride experiences and really hope Disney shies away from them moving forward.

Too much technology does not a good attraction make.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom