Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

BubbaisSleep

I’m trying to figure out at the end, when it’s switching from “Rainbow Road” (looks nothing like it but whatever) to the Results screen with Mario wins. How is that accomplished? Is it all the same room? Are they moving?
They use projection mapping & AR as the vehicles move to create a smooth transition. If you look at the floor on Rainbow Road, you can actually see the track & the floor. At the end you can see the projection mapping change the floor from Rainbow Road into the finale line. I'm assuming they do the same thing on the walls which are probably pitch black in that room. At the same time, the use AR Mario as a transition by having him drive right into the screen so it looks like it appeared out of nowhere. Pretty cool effect. I'm actually quite mind-blown by how this technology can be used.

I'm assuming the walls are black in this room due to it being Rainbow Road. I'm hoping other rooms are more set heavy but we shall see. Still amazing.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

They use projection mapping & AR as the vehicles move to create a smooth transition. If you look at the floor on Rainbow Road, you can actually see the track & the floor. At the end you can see the projection mapping change the floor from Rainbow Road into the finale line. I'm assuming they do the same thing on the walls which are probably pitch black in that room. At the same time, the use AR Mario as a transition by having him drive right into the screen so it looks like it appeared out of nowhere. Pretty cool effect. I'm actually quite mind-blown by how this technology can be used.

I'm assuming the walls are black in this room due to it being Rainbow Road. I'm hoping other rooms are more set heavy but we shall see. Still amazing.
I never noticed to look at the floor only looked at the ceiling. This is actually a really cool effect that they have to be given credit for in general. Another detail I picked up is that when the race is finished you can hear the universal chime.

I do have an issue with Rainbow Road looking like that as the background is never black. With the exception of Super Mario Kart, and Mario Kart 64. A lot of the charm of rainbow road was floating though space with celestial objects. It may sound dumb but if you look though the games the bright colors of being in space really add to the experience. It looks so bland and rushed for one of the most famous of not the most famous race tracks in gaming. Most of the backgrounds included planets, a space station, cities, rainbow colored gates etc.

I worry they sucked all the “life” out of Mario Kart and replaced it with let’s hurl shells at everything game. These tracks are brimming with life and need to have sets (both physical and digital) to back this up. Their really should be AA’s of Mario and other racers. Would be incredibly disappointed if they didn’t. The tech on display here is incredibly cool and shows promise so I will reserve judgment till I see it all. I don’t want this to turn into Mario Kart: Supercharged. As I am assume the graphics could leave much to be desired.

Their are lots of other ride systems I could see working better here but maybe it isn’t feasible with all the digital elements. The most obvious system I can think of is Radiator Springs Racers/Test Track slot car racer to enable actual races.

EDIT: The confetti at the end is a super cool effect.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I never noticed to look at the floor only looked at the ceiling. This is actually a really cool effect that they have to be given credit for in general. Another detail I picked up is that when the race is finished you can hear the universal chime.

I do have an issue with Rainbow Road looking like that as the background is never black. With the exception of Super Mario Kart, and Mario Kart 64. A lot of the charm of rainbow road was floating though space with celestial objects. It may sound dumb but if you look though the games the bright colors of being in space really add to the experience. It looks so bland and rushed for one of the most famous of not the most famous race tracks in gaming. Most of the backgrounds included planets, a space station, cities, rainbow colored gates etc.

I worry they sucked all the “life” out of Mario Kart and replaced it with let’s hurl shells at everything game. These tracks are brimming with life and need to have sets (both physical and digital) to back this up. Their really should be AA’s of Mario and other racers. Would be incredibly disappointed if they didn’t. The tech on display here is incredibly cool and shows promise so I will reserve judgment till I see it all. I don’t want this to turn into Mario Kart: Supercharged. As I am assume the graphics could leave much to be desired.

Their are lots of other ride systems I could see working better here but maybe it isn’t feasible with all the digital elements. The most obvious system I can think of is Radiator Springs Racers/Test Track slot car racer to enable actual races.

EDIT: The confetti at the end is a super cool effect.
And how do you get a Test Track car to spin when it hits a banana peel. And do you really want to spin at 60 mph?

And I will NEVER understand y'all's obsession with AAs. I find this whole "I thought this was supposed to be good, and now we find out there are no AAs" train of thought to be utterly bizarre.

Surferboy567

And how do you get a Test Track car to spin when it hits a banana peel. And do you really want to spin at 60 mph?
This is definitely possible...but you could just slow the cars down at that point in the ride when hitting the peel. If you didn’t want to spin at that speed.
And I will NEVER understand y'all's obsession with AAs. I find this whole "I thought this was supposed to be good, and now we find out there are no AAs" train of thought to be utterly bizarre.
Having AA’s is not a make or break for an attraction for me but definitely helps. My second favorite attraction is Flight of Passage which has no AA’s and is all screens. The world of Mario Kart like I said before is full of life and having more physical sets I think would help make the tracks more lively.

My issue with this is based on this it looks like a mobile game in terms of graphics. It just looks off and bland. I can’t really put my finger on it but it just looks off. Like I said, not going to judge it till I see it in it’s entirety but that is how I feel. The tech is cool and shows promise I just really hope they can adapt one of the best games to an attraction correctly. This is the one game that is perfectly suited for an attraction and I don’t want this opportunity wasted.

sedati

So there are arrows that appear floating in space. I'm assuming this is the purpose of the steering wheels. Much like a quicktime event in a game, I'm assuming each rider turns the wheel in the direction of the arrow. This wouldn't control the vehicle, but the speed and accuracy overall probably affects the score.
Hopefully, there's some actual sense of racing in the game- not just speed (which may be done more with fans than actual speed) but turns, dips, etc. This is looking like the Transformers ride with game elements. I'll be curious when this ride can be compared with the new Spider-man ride at Disneyland as the next gen of interactive rides.

Surferboy567

So there are arrows that appear floating in space. I'm assuming this is the purpose of the steering wheels. Much like a quicktime event in a game, I'm assuming each rider turns the wheel in the direction of the arrow. This wouldn't control the vehicle, but the speed and accuracy overall probably affects the score.
Hopefully, there's some actual sense of racing in the game- not just speed (which may be done more with fans than actual speed) but turns, dips, etc. This is looking like the Transformers ride with game elements. I'll be curious when this ride can be compared with the new Spider-man ride at Disneyland as the next gen of interactive rides.
I’ve seen mentioned that the ride will have a driving line this is basically a way to keep the car on track. If you stay on the line the better and presumably faster the car will go. Obviously, not actual speed but in terms of the game. Maybe this is what those arrows are trying to indicate?

EDIT: It will probably also tie into the steering wheels I imagine this is how items are used as well. Wonder does your steering wheel have any impact on the actual ride?

Mike S

Maybe people just like it when characters are brought to life in the physical world like they haven’t seen before. The 360 scene in Kong is great IMO but seeing him in the flesh at the end brings it to another level.

Just a guess.

Stripes

The Yoshi queue is embarrassing. Reminds me of the TSMM queue, not a land that wants to push boundaries in themed entertainment. Looks like something you’d find at a themed space for kids at a mall.
AF1QipN2Ypofc1gr8sNoj-MXRutSeA41lAJosSc2FLPD=s0

AF1QipMiCSnqiu27SKFcNtuT1ILZxFfvqzAWsyMXs2EM=s0

So far, the highlight of the land, imo, is the incredible amount of kinetic movement outside.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Agreed, it looks like a waiting room in a Children’s Hospital.
Wow, just saw the video how the hell did they make the vibrant world of Yoshi’s Island/Mario look like that. I couldn’t of said it better myself, I think it’s the painted walls that look incredibly fake. It is cool to see Toadette and the Yoshi eggs but beyond that it is embarrassing. I am starting to get worried about this land...it had so much potential. Hopefully, Mario Kart delivers and is better then the small snippet we saw. The queue there is at least by all appearances seems to be well done.

Tom Morrow

I was hoping the finished, or in this case mostly finished product would sway me, but I still feel the same as I have all along: the crazy amount of kinetic movement is cool, but this land is small, cramped, cluttered, and comes very close to looking tacky. I also shudder to think of how bad this will look after just one or two years in the Florida sun, especially given UOR's not very good track record of keeping facades and walkways looking fresh.

I haven't seen or found a leaked video of Mario Kart yet.

Disneyhead'71

The Yoshi queue is embarrassing. Reminds me of the TSMM queue, not a land that wants to push boundaries in themed entertainment. Looks like something you’d find at a themed space for kids at a mall.
AF1QipN2Ypofc1gr8sNoj-MXRutSeA41lAJosSc2FLPD=s0

AF1QipMiCSnqiu27SKFcNtuT1ILZxFfvqzAWsyMXs2EM=s0

So far, the highlight of the land, imo, is the incredible amount of kinetic movement outside.

I think the highlight of the land will be the amazing amount of interactivity. Everything is interactive. I think the Yoshi queue is slightly better than TSMM but that isn't saying much.

Agreed, it looks like a waiting room in a Children’s Hospital.

Our Children's Hospital was designed by WDI.

I was hoping the finished, or in this case mostly finished product would sway me, but I still feel the same as I have all along: the crazy amount of kinetic movement is cool, but this land is small, cramped, cluttered, and comes very close to looking tacky. I also shudder to think of how bad this will look after just one or two years in the Florida sun, especially given UOR's not very good track record of keeping facades and walkways looking fresh.

I haven't seen or found a leaked video of Mario Kart yet.

I learned a long time ago that one man's tacky is another's classy. Just like Disney Parks© fans think water slides any color other than mud tan or snow white are tacky and inappropriate regardless the theme of the park. End of story. Don't @ me!!!!!!! And dear God don't mention visible coaster track.

BrianLo

If I wanted to play Mario Kart like this I’d just pop the game in my Switch and sit really close to my TV.

I’m in a theme park. I want to be physically transported to the world of Mario walking around AND in the rides.

Oh no..... Oh noooo.....

I wasn't actually going to watch it but your comment made me do it... Universal rides do frequently let me down and I figured it was better to set my expectations in check.

Am I seeing things incorrectly or is that basically just Toy Story Midway Mania with a bus-bar?

I like Toy Story Mania (not as a lands anchor) and I don't care so much about the video game in a theme park debate. But turning a video game series into just a video game ride seems awfully like it missed the point.

This is incredibly disappointing from what I thought this ride was supposed to be.

Disneyhead'71

If I wanted to play Mario Kart like this I’d just pop the game in my Switch and sit really close to my TV.

I’m in a theme park. I want to be physically transported to the world of Mario walking around AND in the rides.
That is one of 11 scenes in the ride. And I think you may be not really be understanding what you are seeing in the video. There is a lot to unpack in that video. Gaming aspects like when the red arrows pop up if everyone in the car turns the steering wheel that way your car gets more shells to shoot. You aim the shells by turning your head. Layering like physical sets, projection mapping, and AR. And the fact you are moving the entire time, even firing at Bowsercat the beginning of the clip.

Mike S

Oh no..... Oh noooo.....

I wasn't actually going to watch it but your comment made me do it... Universal rides do frequently let me down and I figured it was better to set my expectations in check.

Am I seeing things incorrectly or is that basically just Toy Story Midway Mania with a bus-bar?

I like Toy Story Mania (not as a lands anchor) and I don't care so much about the video game in a theme park debate. But turning a video game series into just a video game ride seems awfully like it missed the point.

This is incredibly disappointing from what I thought this ride was supposed to be.
I said a long time ago I wouldn’t let my love of Nintendo cloud my judgement and that if anything it would make me even harsher.
That is one of 11 scenes in the ride. And I think you may be not really be understanding what you are seeing in the video. There is a lot to unpack in that video. Gaming aspects like when the red arrows pop up if everyone in the car turns the steering wheel that way your car gets more shells to shoot. You aim the shells by turning your head. Layering like physical sets, projection mapping, and AR. And the fact you are moving the entire time, even firing at Bowsercat the beginning of the clip.
I understand what’s going on. What I see looks like they’ve projected the game into a ride building but it’s a POV now instead of looking at your driver.

I play the games at home. I wasn’t excited for a theme park ride to just play a different version of the game. I’ve only ever seen this stuff virtually my whole life. Put me in the actual environment built for real!!!!!

BrianLo

I hope you are correct. The video is honestly somewhat disorienting and I cannot honestly tell if they are really moving or just gliding along the bus bar.

I was not expecting a bus bar quite honestly, I think that's what has me most perturbed. Maybe it is moving faster than it lets on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom