Jungle Cruise Update

el_super

If Jungle Cruise cannot have African tribes people representing despite reference as “savages”, which was common back in the day, then what’s the point of asking for more representation.

I sincerely hope you are just asking rhetorical questions, and that you honestly know the difference between being a represented in a character meeting or celebrating African culture in a stage show, versus being setup as an exhibit on a tour ride, like an animal in a zoo.

DanielBB8

I sincerely hope you are just asking rhetorical questions, and that you honestly know the difference between being a represented in a character meeting or celebrating African culture in a stage show, versus being setup as an exhibit on a tour ride, like an animal in a zoo.
Absolutely.

Californian Elitist

If Jungle Cruise cannot have African tribes people representing despite reference as “savages”, which was common back in the day, then what’s the point of asking for more representation. Marvel Black Panther was in DCA in meet and greets where their costumes and weapons are so similar to African tribes. I assume there’s no problem with it. They are from a fictional African country. View attachment 527025
23CBF7CA-C17A-40D0-9EC1-EAA9536B44FB.jpeg

A lot of story development usually goes into these type of changes but when it comes to the execution of it, it usually doesn't deliver quite as well. I suspect this jungle Cruise transformation means mostly a new script for the new premise (but keeping some of the expected jokes), change the jeep/abandon camp scene for a boat (same monkey animatronics repositioned, maybe a new one added), the crowd on the tree is just redressing the existing figures, new clothes, wigs, etc. Maybe they will add a figure of the Dwayne Johnson but only if the movie it's a hit. For what I've seen of the trailer it won't be, (I could be wrong though). So I don't expect the Dwayne Johnson figure to be there at first since the movie is not a proven film. They most likely remove the head hunter, and repurpose the dancing tribe, (I don't see the need to remove them altogether since all they need to do is to put them in a setting that puts a good light to them). Who knows maybe they will get rid of them altogether but in my opinion that is not necessary. There are many tribes still in existence in Africa and other parts of the world like South America and South east Asia. In the end, the revamp will be more like a new coat of paint than anything else despite all the hoopla about it. I am sure there will be one surprising feature they aren't talking about that will catch most people by surprise (pleasantly) and make them forget that the rest of the upgrade are just small changes.

Stevek

I really have no problems with the changes and now understand that some people may have concerns with the depictions made on this ride. That being said, this is literally the first time I've ever heard anyone express those concerns either here or via mainstream media. Is the concern that the depiction of the natives is not historically accurate or that we are now at a place in society where can no longer tolerate such depictions whether they are accurate or not?

Ismael Flores

They really should continue the theme of the ruins thru other areas of the boat ride.

Maybe put some extra money into the attraction to create an alternate night time version that deals with one of the myth of the amazon. I know the attraction is not based solely the Amazon but most people have no idea anyways.
some of the myths i can think about are a bit evil but there is one that I think would fit easy to the narrative of the ride like Chuyachaki.

Chuyachaki is described as a one legged ugly man that sometimes has a goat leg replacing the missing one. He is known to lure people deep into the jungles by turning into a prey animal or someone you know. He is a forest spirit that guards the forest and its creatures and will punish any human acts unwisely in the forest.

They could really come up with some cool projection effects on idols and ruins for a nighttime version and still fit the whole crashed boat and tourist trapped up a pole. - Looks like someone did something they were not suppose too.

oh and Please give us more animals in the rockwork, i somehow remember there being a huge troop of Mandrils or what is it a Troop of Baboons climbing the rockworks before the Elephant pool?

aliceismad

I really have no problems with the changes and now understand that some people may have concerns with the depictions made on this ride. That being said, this is literally the first time I've ever heard anyone express those concerns either here or via mainstream media. Is the concern that the depiction of the natives is not historically accurate or that we are now at a place in society where can no longer tolerate such depictions whether they are accurate or not?
I don't think Disney is making changes specifically based on mainstream media critiques or guest complaints. I think they tasked themselves with reviewing their products. Some may believe it's out of their genuine interest to do better. Others may believe their moves are virtue signaling. Maybe some of both. I do not know enough about the inner workings of Disney to know what prompted it. But I do know a good number of friends who have said that their companies have started or put more emphasis on internal diversity initiatives. As an example, look at Target and the number of Black-owned or founded companies they have been promoting.

EPCOTCenterLover

Black voices and representation matters. We as a country have been notorious about trying to remove that during our history. It's good we are fixing that even at Disney parks. Am I angry the white man is now on the bottom of the Jungle Cruise totem pole? No. I find it clever and humorous. But let's be honest, all voices matter. Everyone wants to be respected. With that said, the movement away from free speech and cancel culture is frightening. Unity does not mean uniformity. And if I disagree strongly with someone's opinion, I'll still fight for their right to share it. I'd rather know what people are thinking than not. This is one reason open discussion is important. Particularly on a social media platform where people routinely say things and use words they would never think of using face to face.

SSG

Original Poster
there is one that I think would fit easy to the narrative of the ride like Chuyachaki.

Chuyachaki is described as a one legged ugly man that sometimes has a goat leg replacing the missing one. He is known to lure people deep into the jungles by turning into a prey animal or someone you know. He is a forest spirit that guards the forest and its creatures and will punish any human acts unwisely in the forest.

Like ManBearPig?

ManBearPig.jpg

lazyboy97o

"The second sub themes is 'cute' colonial racism. With the exception of one white explorer escaping a robot rhinoceros (and followed up a pole by four blacks in fezzes), all of the human characters in the Jungle Cruise are people of color. Some of these are characterized in terms of mock threats to visitors; others are incompetent sillies. All are caricatures that, in the interests of 'normal fun' might reinforce visitors' notions of exotic (and colorful) others."
-Vinyl Leaves: Walt Disney World and America by Stephen M. Fjellman, pp. 225 - 226, 1992.

mickEblu

Except it kind of was. The Jungle Cruise was considered the premier attraction at Disneyland. When the D and E tickets were introduced The Jungle Cruise’s admission was raised to each new level. The whole reason Walt was shocked to hear people dismiss the attraction is because it was still supposed to be the park’s grand epic experience.

Just because it was the best the park had to offer at the time does not make my point invalid.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
So the options I see happening with Sam are:
1) replaced with a statue/shrine
2) replaced with Trader Sam(antha) a native Earth goddess (Trading Orchids?)
3) Togetherness ("Natives" + S.E.A. group fellowship/Thanksgiving trope)
4) stacks of crates (cause it's cheap)

Last edited:

Brer Panther

Or maybe some sort of funny animal? What African animals aren't already in the Jungle Cruise... maybe an okapi? A warthog? A mandrill?

el_super

They could just ... not replace it. Trader Sam could still work as a faceless unknown figurehead.

Also that whole S.E.A thing needs to go. Really bad look for WDI. Hopefully they remove it from the Tropical Hideaway.

mickEblu

They could just ... not replace it. Trader Sam could still work as a faceless unknown figurehead.

Also that whole S.E.A thing needs to go. Really bad look for WDI. Hopefully they remove it from the Tropical Hideaway.

WOW, I’m bookmarking this post.

I agree. It has happened. I agree with Wl Super. Just put a mask back on Trader Sam. Does the punchline “2 heads for one yours” work if you don’t see headhunters earlier in the attraction though?

I don’t know if the S.E.A thing is a bad look but it does annoy me for whatever reason.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

They could but that's not their MO anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom