Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Don’t worry Amazon waited until after Joe and Kam was sworn in, now they announced they have a plan to help distribute the vaccine...

All those people that could have been saved if Amazon did not wait? Collateral damage...
Maybe if the President had set the right tone back in March, things would have turned out differently. Collateral damage works both ways, sir.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Here's a thought, maybe if the President and his supporters hadn't spent months, nay nearly a YEAR claiming the world was using the virus to take him down, he'd have been able to work with the adults in the room and made some truly effective leadership decisions which would have brought companies like Amazon (and many others) into the fold early on. But instead, it was all a conspiracy and masks were going to kill us. Disney had to shut down for months. Disneyland is still closed! How about working with the state governors he disagreed with politically? That's what a leader does. It's ridiculous to forget all of this and start throwing the blame around when the leader of the free world was complicit in denying EVERYTHING about it.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the actual rollout Is actually going well. We are up over 1.5 million vaccines a day. That’s amazing!!!! A lot of really smart business people are really starting to estimate summer will be mostly normal. Hopefully we have peaked. It’s ok to have good news people.
I’ve been saying that for a while. It’s just easier to see the negatives. Of course I want this to go faster, of course I want the vaccine for myself and my family, but we all have to have some patience and not get too caught up in reported numbers that are proven to have a bit of a lag now. I think we will actually get to a lot more than 100M doses by May 1, but even if that was the number if you went back to May 1, 2020 and told people 100M doses of a 95% effective vaccine would be in American‘s arms a year from now most people would call you wildly optimistic and say it would never happen that fast. Looking at the big picture from vaccine development to manufacturing to distribution to inoculations it’s a crazy good success story overall.

Kevin_W

I think the actual rollout Is actually going well. We are up over 1.5 million vaccines a day. That’s amazing!!!! A lot of really smart business people are really starting to estimate summer will be mostly normal. Hopefully we have peaked. It’s ok to have good news people.

The average certainly isn't up there yet, but yesterday was definitely the best vaccination day we've had and in the past week, the rolling average has increased by ~40%. That's all definitely good. Soon, we should be reaching the point where vaccine production is the bottleneck, and certainly those companies are doing all they can to increase production. (And if we add J&J/Astra/anyone else it will help.)

Kevin_W

Oh it’s because of tone that Amazon waited until after Joe and Kam got sworn in... Got it.

So what are you claiming, that Bezos wanted people not to get vaccinated just to make Trump look bad? I think a more reasonable assumption would be that Amazon waited to find a receptive audience. Tump doesn't seem to have a team put together to where Amazon could even begin to help and Trump personally hates Bezos.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh it’s because of tone that Amazon waited until after Joe and Kam got sworn in... Got it.
How exactly would Amazon get involved in vaccine distribution on their own? Did the prior administration reach out to them and ask for help and they refused? Do we know they didn’t offer help before Joe and Kam? I don’t get this line of thinking. Seems like a major case of sour grapes.

Heppenheimer

How exactly would Amazon get involved in vaccine distribution on their own? Did the prior administration reach out to them and ask for help and they refused? Do we know they didn’t offer help before Joe and Kam? I don’t get this line of thinking. Seems like a major case of sour grapes.
Since we now know that the previous administration's only plan was to do nothing except sing their own praises, that would explain why Amazon has offered their services now and not previously.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Since we now know that the previous administration's only plan was to do nothing except sing their own praises, that would explain why Amazon has offered their services now and not previously.

Not to mention that whenever it seemed we had taken any steps forward, a 2 am tweet effectively rendered those moments of clarity moot. Over and over.

Disney Experience

The average certainly isn't up there yet, but yesterday was definitely the best vaccination day we've had and in the past week, the rolling average has increased by ~40%. That's all definitely good. Soon, we should be reaching the point where vaccine production is the bottleneck, and certainly those companies are doing all they can to increase production. (And if we add J&J/Astra/anyone else it will help.)
Many places are now asking for more shots and state they can get them into arms if they had the shots. So it looks like it has started to move more into a production question. I am assuming that the latest lack of shots is due to production and not distribution constraints.

I do wonder about whether companies are doing all they can to increase production. For a company if they invest capital into manufacturing and the vaccine is too effective in reducing the virus in the world. They may have too much invested for a good return. But I think that given the rate of mutations they will have a market for a while. In any case, if they are hesitant to build more production capability then perhaps the government should invest in it. Especially if the production capability can repurposed if a new virus becomes a threat. Manufacturing supply chain is another area, if it is restricting production, that could be helped (DPA, capital, etc.).

USA has enough shots on order to cover its needs, so the value to invest in even more production may not be there. But I rather spend a little too much in a pandemic than to be optimal in economics.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t see how Amazon getting involved is a bad thing. Do people really want the vaccination plan to fail now since “their guy” lost a free and fair election? Get over it, we have a real path to the end of this pandemic and it has nothing to do with politics. The best thing the government can do is get out of the way and let people who handle this stuff best do what they do. If that means Amazon or FedEx or CVS or the military or whoever helping out then so be it. All hands on deck.

Disney Analyst

I don’t see how Amazon getting involved is a bad thing. Do people really want the vaccination plan to fail now since “their guy” lost a free and fair election? Get over it, we have a real path to the end of this pandemic and it has nothing to do with politics. The best thing the government can do is get out of the way and let people who handle this stuff best do what they do. If that means Amazon or FedEx or CVS or the military or whoever helping out then so be it. All hands on deck.

It is good news.

I think some in here can’t fathom the fact that the previous administration had no distribution plan. Wasn’t Warp Speed supposed to result in mass military distribution? Military sites setup for vaccination or something?

It’s crazy that the feds had no plan in place for when vaccines started rolling in.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Many places are now asking for more shots and state they can get them into arms if they had the shots. So it looks like it has started to move more into a production question. I am assuming that the latest lack of shots is due to production and not distribution constraints.

I do wonder about whether companies are doing all they can to increase production. For a company if they invest capital into manufacturing and the vaccine is too effective in reducing the virus in the world. They may have too much invested for a good return. But I think that given the rate of mutations they will have a market for a while. In any case, if they are hesitant to build more production capability then perhaps the government should invest in it. Especially if the production capability can repurposed if a new virus becomes a threat. Manufacturing supply chain is another area, if it is restricting production, that could be helped (DPA, capital, etc.).

USA has enough shots on order to cover its needs, so the value to invest in even more production may not be there. But I rather spend a little too much in a pandemic than to be optimal in economics.
One of the issues is they can’t increase manufacturing on the fly. Part of the EUA looks at the quality control around manufacturing so I don’t think Pfizer can easily open a new manufacturing site or expand existing without jumping through some safety hoops. They are actually cutting doses delivered to Europe because they are expanding manufacturing there and they have to shut down part of the existing facility to do it.

As far as I know Pfizer and Moderna are still on track for deliveries so not failing to meet targets. As the availability pool expands through the phases we are going to be in this situation where supply fails to meet demand continuously. It’s frustrating, but better than the alternatives which are bottlenecks with vaccinations themself or a lack of demand. There’s hope on the horizon as Pfizer and Moderna both projected a continued ramp up in production and we have the prospect of several additional vaccines being approved. That’s why the delays being on the manufacturing side is good news.

sullyinMT

It is good news.

I think some in here can’t fathom the fact that the previous administration had no distribution plan. Wasn’t Warp Speed supposed to result in mass military distribution? Military sites setup for vaccination or something?

It’s crazy that the feds had no plan in place for when vaccines started rolling in.
Past rhetoric aside, some of us (myself included) saw the success of the vaccine production, and the concurrent red tape removal to move it along, as a sign that adults in the room must have also been working on what to do if/when the vaccines being investigated worked out. Or at a minimum been setting up contracts beyond shipment. In fact, I even took the shipment agreements, UPS and FedEx getting along, and the pharmacy to LTC facility arrangement as a sign of good things to come. Now that those haven't panned out, we're behind the 8-ball again, and it's incredibly frustrating to witness.

Hopefully the next couple weeks sort out faster than we can hope, and we're actually able to inoculate faster than mutations emerge to move "around" the vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is good news.

I feel like FedEx and UPS probably have the delivery services down, where Amazon could help is maybe on logistics around scheduling appointments. They are certainly capable of handling massive traffic to their website and through AWS help others run their online businesses.

lazyboy97o

I don’t think you’re ever going to make sense of the views of people who believe doctors are intentionally lying about the whole thing.

Disney Analyst

I feel like FedEx and UPS probably have the delivery services down, where Amazon could help is maybe on logistics around scheduling appointments. They are certainly capable of handling massive traffic to their website and through AWS help others run their online businesses.

Im not sure about the US, I assume it’s the same, but in Canada Amazon has quite the network of warehouses and their own in house delivery system. I think they likely can really help with distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom