News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

mightynine

I was responding not to what people preferred, but to sentiments that without DME, travel to WDW nigh impossible. But congratulations on tackling that straw man!

Who doesn't prefer free services?

Who said it was impossible? Most of the complaints have been about how it will be more complicated or involve more planning, and how they preferred not having to deal with those steps - especially if they’ve only visited in the timeframe when DME is available. But congratulations on moving that goal post!

Also, you apparently did not prefer the free service, as you mentioned you were happy to no longer have that cost be part of your room rate, no?

mattpeto

What was the reason for ending resort airline check in? A lot of resorts just updated and expanded these check in areas the last couple years, now they just sit empty.

I could be wrong, but the main benefit of resort check-in is to transfer your baggage via DME, along with checking in with the airline. DME luggage handling is disabled due to the pandemic and now retiring completely on 12/31/2021.

The actual airline check-in stuff is generally easy to do from smartphones these days.

Disney Glimpses

What was the reason for ending resort airline check in? A lot of resorts just updated and expanded these check in areas the last couple years, now they just sit empty.
Well, COVID is when suspended it. Safety concerns or lack of employees (or both). Bags, Inc. was the contractor for luggage transfer and MCO had employees at the resorts.

Going forward though, the reason for ending these contracts with MCO/Bags/Mears are all the same: money.

All of that being said, I'm still not 100% convinced this announcement isn't just some crude negotiation tactic on Disney's part towards Mears and Bags, Inc. There is still plenty of time to retain their services.

Sir_Cliff

I was responding not to what people preferred, but to sentiments that without DME, travel to WDW nigh impossible. But congratulations on tackling that straw man!

Who doesn't prefer free services?
I honestly think you're tackling a straw man there. No-one said it was impossible, just a lot less convenient.

As for this being a free service, you can apply that logic to virtually anything the hotel offers beyond the room. I think what people are saying is that this makes a WDW vacation suddenly seem more of a hassle and worse value. Not exactly unreasonable.

castlecake2.0

I could be wrong, but the main benefit of resort check-in is to transfer your baggage via DME, along with checking in with the airline. DME luggage handling is disabled due to the pandemic and now retiring completely on 12/31/2021.

The actual airline check-in stuff is generally easy to do from smartphones these days.
Makes sense, i was wondering if smart phone check in was one of the reasons, and if you really wanted a paper copy the front desk could always print out one for you if needed.

castlecake2.0

Well, COVID is when suspended it. Safety concerns or lack of employees (or both). Bags, Inc. was the contractor for luggage transfer and MCO had employees at the resorts.

Going forward though, the reason for ending these contracts with MCO/Bags/Mears are all the same: money.

All of that being said, I'm still not 100% convinced this announcement isn't just some crude negotiation tactic on Disney's part towards Mears and Bags, Inc. There is still plenty of time to retain their services.
I’m wondering about that too, maybe a negotiation tactic. This was such a huge perk people used, pop and art even had to enlarge there luggage rooms for it, and I’m sure people would pay for it as an add on if they kept it. Somethings up here.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I honestly think you're tackling a straw man there. No-one said it was impossible, just a lot less convenient.

As for this being a free service, you can apply that logic to virtually anything the hotel offers beyond the room. I think what people are saying is that this makes a WDW vacation suddenly seem more of a hassle and worse value. Not exactly unreasonable.
If anyone bothered to backtrack what I responded to...

Just thinking of all the single parents with little ones trying to navigate the airport and transportation with one or more children, multiple bags, no help even from Disney. How will they do it? How are they doing it now?

scoobygirl39541

I empathize with those who believe this is a big blow for all the various reasons stated in the past 36 pages. I have only taken DME once (1/2020) and I thought it was a great option. I totally could see why folks like the service. However, I am not sure why folks always get bent out of shape on these decisions by Disney and the current corporate regime. They reduce offerings, they make more money. They raise the prices on tickets, passes, food, DDP, etc. and they make even more money. They add new fees e.g. parking, they make even more money. They will not change their behavior and their thinking until the folks on this forum STOP going, and saying how great WDW is. You are the Superfans!

I have a feeling everyone on this forum is STILL going to go to Disney. You may flirt with Uni for a trip, but then you'll come to your senses and go back to Disney. You will all figure out how to live w/o DME, and all the other perks you were used to.

I am not trying to **** anyone off, but I am amazed and how apoplectic people get. Disney makes these changes because they can. Have you seen the prices they charge for ABD, or their cruises? How about the 1 day 10k VIP tour?

It is possible some are simply priced out of a Disney vacation. Sorry...

Yes I fully agree! However, Disney is ignoring the issue with carseats. Families with small children (especially with more than one), will almost be forced to wait until their kids get older OR do less trips due to the extra work, stress, and cost (how do you find an uber for multiple carseats and big enough to fit luggage for a young family of 4+?). This time Disney is taking away something that got people to their property. For their target audience, they just made it 10x harder to keep going when you can't get there.

carnini

I think its a horrible move to end ME. I always use it when we stay on property and it makes for a lot less stressful of a vacation. I have rented a car before but that was ages ago. Now there are parking fees and all sorts of things that make me never want to rent one.
Now with Kids, we will seriously think about if staying on property is worth it, let along go to WDW with so many magical things mising.

I think Disney move to take away Magical Express is short sighted, it was one of the magical things that separated Disney from others.

koc1723

I tend to agree on the short sighted nature of this, but I also see what Disney is seeing.
If it costs them a ton of money to run something that is not being used alot they should do what they need to do.

I like ME for making my travel simple and easy too and from while having families that arrive on multiple flights. It just made things easy, but I guess I would go with Uber/etc in those cases, not a huge deal.

It is just one more thing I have to plan out. I don't think it is something that will change how often people visit.
I mean on most of my trips I have to do this anyway, I just didn't have to do it with WDW.

Has anyone raised the pending addition of train service from MCO to Disney Springs? I could see that as a 'better' solution in the long run, but there will be a gap between 2022 and when rail service begins...

tirian

I told the wife the news and to her it was just Meh, since she works for a large rental car firm so we most likely be renting a car from now on. yes its an added cost but she did make the following points and this is just for our specific case.
1) We no longer have to just eat "Disney" food we are free to go else where/stock up with out having to mess with having it delivered. Which could be a big cost savings.
2) With a car we are no longer reliant on busses to get to the parks and the stress that goes along with that.
3) Our non park days can now include something non Disney related.

it should be noted we been ones to never break the bubble but now it seems like things might be a bit different.
But you could always do that. ;)

Djsfantasi

I think the luggage transfer was a big part of DME too, and that will likely not exist with any paid replacement (unless Disney themselves offers a new paid replacement).

My parents used it a couple of years ago for a trip with their grandchildren, and the luggage transfer was the biggest reason. They didn't want to have to deal with trying to collect and drag around luggage; it was so much easier for a couple in their 70s to have it all handled for them.

But during the pandemic, there is no luggage transfer.

HarperRose

DME and RAC/BAGS are different companies. Your bags you check in at the resort are loaded up on box trucks and driven to the airport.

tirian

For us, the DME decision is just one of many poor decisions we think Disney has made recently.

- No Magical Express
- No resort airline check-in / baggage check
- No Extra Magic Hours
- Constant upcharges (pre-COVID)
- Approving construction projects that ruin sightlines (Guardians, TRON, Harmonious)
- Cinderella Castle "makeover"
- Constant price increases
- Whatever is happening in Epcot's Future World

Disney is offering less and charging more. Meanwhile, they're eliminating many of the things that set them apart - immersiveness, show quality, "magical" experiences.

And so on and so on. While DME independently probably isn't enough to make us rethink a Disney World trip, all of those combined has zapped the excitement. The "bang for our buck" has dropped dramatically over the past four or five years and it's time for us to explore new options.
Price a decent trip to Canada, Europe, or even Japan (TDL!). They’re surprisingly similar to WDW’s current price point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom