News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Shouldigo12

We loved MDE and its cousins at other parks. The convenience especially with bags is magical. So this really sucks.

But I have to laugh at everyone saying this is the last straw. If I had a nickel for every cutback or change that was the last straw, I could pay for the shuttle y'all will be taking van though you swore you wouldn't.

As a side note, we found one downside of relying on uber late one night leaving DL Paris at park close. Demand for rides far exceeded available drivers so we had to use a taxi that wouldn't take credit cards so we had to find an ATM to pay the ridiculous fare. The kids were so tired and just wanted to go to sleep.
I've not once used "this is the last straw" until this thread HAHA. And I'm not even saying it's the last straw for me going at all, I'm just saying this killed my desire to stay onsite. I'd be fine paying their hotel prices if I still got the exclusive perks, but at this point the perks they offer either 1. Aren't exclusive or 2. Don't interest me (like the early access replacement for EMH).

I'm also just kind of baffled at this point. The "bubble model" was pretty amazing, and I'm sure most vacation destinations would kill to convince tourists to spend all their money sleeping, eating, playing, and shopping under their roof. But their recent decisions, to me, suggest they're really not interested in encouraging this model anymore, and I'm curious on why that is. Forget paying for a shuttle, I would pay good money to sit on a board meeting right now.

seabreezept813

I'm trying to determine whether this is actually a big deal to people, as this service was incredibly convenient and affordable, or if this is just the straw that broke the camel's back. After cutting free Magic Bands, stopping work on Tron & GOTG CW, discontinuing SOTMK, and now EMH and this, I wonder if people have had hit.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney has been dipping their toe in the water when it comes to cutting costs and seeing what they could get away with. With the horrible reception to this, I'm interested to see if/how they continue.
I can say for my family this one hurts the most and is something that would actually change how we vacation (aka whether we vacation there, how many days, etc). Our last Disney trip my daughter was 1.5. Our next planned trip if we go my other daughter will be 1.5. So we will have 2-4 adults, my teenage stepdaughter, a 4 year old, and a 1.5 year old. Ride sharing just doesn't work easily with young children. During our last trip, we used Minnie Vans 3-4 times to get to dining at other resorts. It was easy to do with our daughter, but it was very pricey for just traveling between resorts. Whether or not these come back is still uncertain and using them for airport travel would likely be very pricey. Our family has also grown, so I'm not sure if we still would fit in them. Add to that gathering all the luggage and that traveling with young kiddos and everything just got so much more complicated. It's just such a terrible move for larger families, which was at one time a customer that Disney cared to have... part of me thinks I should just wait before being upset because there has to be a larger plan somehow, but Disney of late just is not garnering the same faith it usually does. It also obviously makes already inflated, overpriced rooms much less valuable.

bunnyman

I know it’s too soon for all of you who are mourning the loss of MDE, but I never really understood how so many fans came to see riding in busses as a magical part of their Disney vacation. People Mover trains at MCO, then a charter bus to your resort, then a city bus to the parks. As someone who routinely rides the bus to get around in my city, it just never seemed that special. I always wished for more from Disney in transportation—something original (PeopleMover, autonomous pods, Monorail, SkyLiner etc.) within WDW and to/from the airport.
I never really thought of it as part of the magic, but rather the seamless ease to book your vacation directly with Disney. Just click a button and your airport transfers are done. Now it’s going to be another thing you have to think about and book separately.

_caleb

I hated the nonstop commercials in those buses and only used them because I’d already paid for them anyway. Likewise, I used the Magic Band rather than a room key card because I’d already paid for it. Sometimes I drove to a hotel and parking was already built into the price of my room. I occasionally used EMH because I paid for it, too.

Now I’m still paying for all of that, but getting nothing in return.

Where’s the confusion?
No confusion. I totally understand (and agree with) the frustration of losing yet another benefit/perk to staying on-site. Mine was just more of a commentary on how Disney managed to convince guests that a bus was magical (for the many who thought it was).

bgraham34

Disney has lost a lot of money in the last few months and are cutting everywhere. If Disney wants people to come back after the pandemic the guests are still going to expect the same level of service. Disney can't bulldoze the parks and expect people to enjoy an empty field. I know that's extreme but how many cost cutting measures will people put up with before going to Universal or somewhere else.

Disney doesn't really care IMHO. They are for sure making money to some degree by charging full price for half an experience and people are still coming. Disney knows this and wont make changes until people stop coming. They believe Disney is a premium experience and that people will pay whatever to get to Disney no matter how. Look at the Minivans. Why would you spend $50 bucks to sit in a car from Contemporary to Animal Kingdom. They aren't targeting minimum wages here.

GusEzra

I told the wife the news and to her it was just Meh, since she works for a large rental car firm so we most likely be renting a car from now on. yes its an added cost but she did make the following points and this is just for our specific case.
1) We no longer have to just eat "Disney" food we are free to go else where/stock up with out having to mess with having it delivered. Which could be a big cost savings.
2) With a car we are no longer reliant on busses to get to the parks and the stress that goes along with that.
3) Our non park days can now include something non Disney related.

it should be noted we been ones to never break the bubble but now it seems like things might be a bit different.

seabreezept813

Yes.

Wait. MK is celebrating its 50th. How did people ever get from the airport to their resort with all their luggage for the first 35 years of WDW? Where was the magic? Where was the free transportation and luggage handling? Are you saying no one flew into Orlando until the past 15 years?!

I guess, then, no one ever staying at a non-Disney resort (or going to Universal) ever flies into Orlando because of how expensive and unmagical that would be.

How about us folks who are all "I've never used MDE and I don't want my room rates to subsidize people who use it?"
I would imagine many young families have not had to travel to Disney pre-Magical Express. When I was a kid my parents drove to Florida from MA so the first time we took a plane to Disney I believe was 2009 and Magical Express was a part of that experience. So we do associate flying to Disney and staying on-site with the DME perk. I have been to Disney 4 times with my stepdaughter and once with my daughter and use DME every time. So while I understand your hyperbole, not having easy access to get to the resort has never been a part of our Disney reality, and I'm sure many can relate. Disney has trained their guests to expect this level of convenience when committing to an on property stay.

GimpYancIent

I would imagine many young families have not had to travel to Disney pre-Magical Express. When I was a kid my parents drove to Florida from MA so the first time we took a plane to Disney I believe was 2009 and Magical Express was a part of that experience. So we do associate flying to Disney and staying on-site with the DME perk. I have been to Disney 4 times with my stepdaughter and once with my daughter and use DME every time. So while I understand your hyperbole, not having easy access to get to the resort has never been a part of our Disney reality, and I'm sure many can relate. Disney has trained their guests to expect this level of convenience when committing to an on property stay.
With air travel not what it once was and projections for the future not showing any major rebound the Magical Express is not the perk it once was. Personally I and my immediate family never have flown to Orlando so the Magical Express was something mentioned in brochures and that was about it. I have had relatives that have flown in and did not refer to the M. E. as any kind of perk. So my impression is WDW will be just fine without the M. E.

Magic Feather

Being online by 2023 is iffy, or the train happening at all is iffy?
Train being online by 2023 for Springs is iffy. This train station proposal is probably the most firm one I’ve seen for WDW in over a decade.

Also, the goal here is to effectively recreate the CDG->DLP transfer process. Guests have the option of third party train, third party bus, or any other transportation services that the guest books.

Unfortunately, there will not be all of these options at first.

Also, I’m getting conflicting reports about whether Mears’s paid replacement will be allowed to go to the resorts (it might be forced to drop at Springs like Brightline, but that’s not firm yet).

Shouldigo12

No confusion. I totally understand (and agree with) the frustration of losing yet another benefit/perk to staying on-site. Mine was just more of a commentary on how Disney managed to convince guests that a bus was magical (for the many who thought it was).
It is kind of funny that they were able to convince people, myself included, that buses were a magical experience haha. But it was all the little details for me. Walking up and scanning my band for the first time, watching the TV's and answering the trivia questions, getting on the themes bus and watching the videos. As soon as you hopped off the plane they engineered it so you felt like you were already at Disney. It was fun, especially for those of us who hardly ever ride buses. ;)

I'm sure the Brightline, when that comes, will replicate that feeling. What's more unclear is whether it'll come with the more practical perks of the buses.

Luxe

What about families that have lot's of children? I believe ride share services are limited with child capacity in some cases. I never used the service personally but I know many who have and it had a big impact on their ease of travel to the resorts.

jmmc

Two things to add. I personally never saw the Express as something all that magical. It's just a ride on a bus. It's just all about the ease of things, and how once you touch down in Orlando, you can relax a little and worry about less. I also think it's weird Disney would remove one big way that can keep you on their property.

Second thing... I used the word "perk" before as many have done. But honestly by "perk" I really mean "one justification for an expensive hotel room."

aliceismad

Train being online by 2023 for Springs is iffy. This train station proposal is probably the most firm one I’ve seen for WDW in over a decade.

Also, the goal here is to effectively recreate the CDG->DLP transfer process. Guests have the option of third party train, third party bus, or any other transportation services that the guest books.

Unfortunately, there will not be all of these options at first.

Also, I’m getting conflicting reports about whether Mears’s paid replacement will be allowed to go to the resorts (it might be forced to drop at Springs like Brightline, but that’s not firm yet).
I'm glad that it sounds like a paid bus will be an option. However, if I have to get dropped off at Disney Springs with my luggage and my kid and then get another bus to actually get to my resort, that's a significant amount of time and just makes a long travel day that much more unpleasant. I really hope they allow the paid option to drop off at resorts.

Is there any chance there will be a luggage storage option at the Springs? I mean, if they're making people go there, they could at least hold luggage so people can peruse.

Armerius

.i was planning to use it on my next trip. that was planned for this year but giving all the delays and problems i might pospone it for 2022..and now this. oh well , will have to be uber then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Feather

I'm glad that it sounds like a paid bus will be an option. However, if I have to get dropped off at Disney Springs with my luggage and my kid and then get another bus to actually get to my resort, that's a significant amount of time and just makes a long travel day that much more unpleasant. I really hope they allow the paid option to drop off at resorts.

Is there any chance there will be a luggage storage option at the Springs? I mean, if they're making people go there, they could at least hold luggage so people can peruse.
I'm under the impression that if the busses are forced to Springs, then luggage transfer will remain, as Disney does not want suitcases on Disney Transport buses (they aren't really made for it).

Shouldigo12

I'm under the impression that if the busses are forced to Springs, then luggage transfer will remain, as Disney does not want suitcases on Disney Transport buses (they aren't really made for it).
How would that work? The bus drops you at Springs, then heads off to your resort to drop off your luggage without you? One bus takes you to Springs, then another takes a bunch of luggage to the resorts later?

Maybe I'm missing a key part of that equation, I can be a dunce haha. But if luggage transfer stays then I would think it would make just as much sense to take guests straight to the hotels too.

Edit: Alice has confirmed I was confused about what was being discussed. Nevermind!

Last edited:

aliceismad

How would that work? The bus drops you at Springs, then heads off to your resort to drop off your luggage without you? One bus takes you to Springs, then another takes a bunch of luggage to the resorts later?

Maybe I'm missing a key part of that equation, I can be a dunce haha. But if luggage transfer stays then I would think it would make just as much sense to take guests straight to the hotels too.
If it's the luggage transfer where they pick up your bags before the carousel for you, I was of the impression that your luggage usually wasn't on the bus you were riding anyway. 🤷‍♀️

Shouldigo12

If it's the luggage transfer where they pick up your bags before the carousel for you, I was of the impression that your luggage usually wasn't on the bus you were riding anyway. 🤷‍♀️
Ah, so I am a dunce. ;) I never had them pick it up for me, I always brought it on the bus. Can't believe I completely forgot about that other option for a minute there haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom