News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

JoeCamel

Is a berm with trees and stuff that expensive? I know they decided against it in Shanghai which only could have been about the money..

It's not cheap. But even if it was, it costs more than doing nothing, which tends to be the crux of the problem these days (when it comes to exposed showbuildings). Why spend the money to solve a "problem" if they don't consider it a problem?

Hopefully it proves to be true that they're going to do SOMETHING.
They painted it, y'all want more?

_caleb

Not enough room for trees, but plenty of room to build a really big wall to hide the box. Something tall, plain, and flat, with no ornamentation. Then they could paint it various shades of gray and blue to help the wall blend in with the sky. Like a 2-dimensional version of the ride building (so it would match the theming).

lazyboy97o

Is a berm with trees and stuff that expensive? I know they decided against it in Shanghai which only could have been about the money..
Whether or not it is cheap to build something is entirely dependent on the context of what you want to build and where you want to build it. You cannot just pile up some dirt and toss in some tress. The berm has to be designed so that it sheds water properly to where you want it. It has to be properly designed and built so that it does not wash away. Most new planting is required to have irrigation for at least a year. This is also a lot easier to do on an open piece of land but the area is question is a slope towards a retention pond. That means extra has to be given to ensure the pond is not decreased in size too much, or is enlarged elsewhere, and is not polluted. You also have to make sure your new berm is not blocking the established flow of water to the pond. All very much doable but more work than you might expect.

Last edited:

SilentWindODoom

Not to kick up dust, but a video just popped up in my feed that inspired me to do some photoshopping.

This picture is a couple video screenshots photoshopped together into a Pano, showing the TRON showbuilding from an onstage, Guest-Facing area in Storybook Circus, with a Red Line showing approximately how much of it will be covered by the Canopy once it's finished.

Which is to say . . . almost none of it:

View attachment 522651

The... the tree in the center that is not very large compared to the rest of the trees elsewhere in the park is close to covering the show building. It actually seems like it won't take as much as I thought.

yensidtlaw1969

That green structure that has been there for decades is lucky it's not a big blue warehouse. Somebody might think you could see backstage. :p
It had been well hidden until TRON construction cleared out the greenery around it. Which is why we never complained.

It's also more comparable in size to a detached Garage than to an Airplane Hangar, which helps.

yensidtlaw1969

The... the tree in the center that is not very large compared to the rest of the trees elsewhere in the park is close to covering the show building. It actually seems like it won't take as much as I thought.
The lack of depth perception makes it hard to tell, but that tree is bigger and older than it looks. It's probably been there since opening day. But hopefully they do replant similarly large trees along the area.

That's part of why I posted this picture from the Barnstormer queue - the combo of the queue grading up and the land outside the Train Tracks grading down makes it even harder to block the building. But I really do hope they make it happen.
1610137844800.png

TikibirdLand

The lack of depth perception makes it hard to tell, but that tree is bigger and older than it looks. It's probably been there since opening day. But hopefully they do replant similarly large trees along the area.

That's part of why I posted this picture from the Barnstormer queue - the combo of the queue grading up and the land outside the Train Tracks grading down makes it even harder to block the building. But I really do hope they make it happen.
View attachment 522899
Building looks like something out at Cape Canaveral. Maybe just paint the NASA logo on its side and call it a day...

Touchdown

Sight lines by Barnstormer have always been problematic, it’s not new (there is a reason that path for years was the smoking path) if the building is only seen from there it might not be as bad as others thought it would in the park.

yensidtlaw1969

Sight lines by Barnstormer have always been problematic, it’s not new (there is a reason that path for years was the smoking path) if the building is only seen from there it might not be as bad as others thought it would in the park.
Sightlines by the Barnstormer have never shown naked, unthemed Backstage before.

Especially not that of a headlining E-Ticket investment.

Last edited:

SilentWindODoom

Rocket Tower Plaza

Wow, I did not realize until looking into it now just how far over the canopy goes. The South elevation should be almost completely blocked.

8w2aQu3.png

TRON_Lightcycle_Power_Run%2C_attraction_exterior.jpg

The corner of the building poking out at the bottom of the canopy on the right is the lower elevation step that's half whitish and half blue.

Man, this keeps getting better.

I do think the ENCOM logo is a genius touch. Putting it on the center of the building so that it will show from what can be seen from the pathway and from the Astro Orbitor would be great.

EDIT: For clarification and full disclosure, the top picture is from this video of the Astro Orbiter being ridden last week.

Given that the video seems to be above the large blue globe's center, I believe this is the highest the ride goes. Any lower views are more flattering.

Last edited:

doctornick

I am anticipating plantings to hide this from many angles where it's not currently hidden. Although, I'm still waiting for them to hide the Pandora show building from the parking lot...

Disney of today treats in park "immersion" different from outside the parks. DAK in particular kinda had an intentional poor show outside the park to contrast with the lush inside the park environment.

I know we all have different levels of tolerance, but I'm not really bothered by seeing backstage stuff when I'm outside the parks. But the view of the Tron box from the circus does bug me. I do hope they are able to plant enough trees to obscure that (doesn't seem like it should be that tough to me even with limited land)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom