Gideon's Bakehouse coming to Disney Springs

jaklgreen

Wow did this thread turn into a batch of negativity!

This guy spends like ten years of his life coming up with a recipe for a cookie that becomes recognized and lauded worldwide. He keeps the recipe (and ingredients) a secret to protect the investment of time and money he put into his business. He gets a big break to open a new location in the middle of a pandemic and during his soft opening has to temporarily close for a while. The man has a globally-desirable business that he's still trying manage on his own (reportedly, he is personally handling all the social media himself, plus preparing some of the daily ingredients for the cookies his company makes).

Is he likely overwhelmed by what could have just been a hobby initially that turned into a social media blogger frenzy circus? Seems like it.

No reason to hate on him, his business or his product.

He's human. He's learning. As are we all in the midst of circumstances the likes of which no one alive can recall.

And I'm still dying to try his cookies though it may be years before I have the opportunity to do so. :( But the cookies look amazing. And I wish him (and his employees) all the best as they navigate these challenging business waters.

In closing...

View attachment 522537

Nobody is asking him to share his recipe, just list ingredients for allergies. Frankly, all cookies are made with the same ingredients anyway so it would not be a big deal to actually list the ingredients. It would not give anything away. It's just become standard to have the ingredients listed, as it should be.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
JFC ya'll...give it a rest. I went to their East End Market location last week and finally tried them. The cookies are amazing!! I can't wait for Springs to re-open so I can get more.

coasterphil

1. It seems pretty clear this was Covid related
2. Disney likely has a gag order on any mentions of Covid closures from their tenants, assuming the tenant even wanted to be forthright (many businesses don't)
3. Gideon's made their business on social media/buzz, so they couldn't quietly close without an announcement like several other Disney Springs outlets have done since reopening (I believe HOB & Blaze were both closed with no explanation in the last week)

I was curious how the operation was going to go at Springs from the get-go, as their entire business was built on long lines/quick sellouts due to their limited supply and the messy setup at East End (which has gotten a little better with next day preorders, but not by much). Given how comfortable they are with the mess at East End, I have a hard time believing they would've just closed for retooling on their own.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Clearly, anything that happens that has no stated or supported affidavits of fact, is now Covid related. This is where we are at.

On a side note, its a bright sunshiny day where I live. Not a cloud in the sky. Clearly Covid has infected the weather.

Zé_Carioca

The owner has replied to comments now changing his story again, he now says that interior work in the store will be done this week so that is when it seems they are planning to re-open.

edit: I had the wrong date

UNCgolf

Clearly, anything that happens that has no stated or supported affidavits of fact, is now Covid related. This is where we are at.

On a side note, its a bright sunshiny day where I live. Not a cloud in the sky. Clearly Covid has infected the weather.

It's called Occam's Razor.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
DSC04113-1.jpg

SoFloMagic

Got it. If you can’t confirm, Covid.
Yes, that's correct. When a business that previously announced they were now open 365 days a year and has been packed with long lines and limited distancing for weeks announces on a Saturday that they're closing in 3 hours until further notice and gives zero reason, limits comments on their post, and refuses to clarify reasons all while we're in a poorly-managed pandemic you assume covid.

SoFloMagic

2. Disney likely has a gag order on any mentions of Covid closures from their tenants
I would put money on this.
he now says that interior work in the store will be done this week so that is when it seems they are planning to re-open.
I'd also believe Disney wasn't cool with the lines and is forcing updates/plexi to allow faster throughput/higher safe capacity

markc

Got it. If you can’t confirm, Covid.

Let's see. Unplanned and unexpected closure. For what it's worth, I was told that Disney allegedly does not allow their 3rd parties to close locations completely once they've started business operations unless there's severe circumstances (COVID related ones fit that circumstance requirement). It's written in their agreement. A little glance at their Disney Springs site seems to confirm that they had planned on them being open now.

Then there's the radio silence from the business

Then there's the blocked social media comments.

Let's be clear - nobody knows for absolute sure until the business confirms.

But... Put your money where your mouth is. I'd be willing to bet $10K it's COVID related. You?

ppete1975

It never ceases to amaze me how hostile some are to small businesses.
Same people that complain walmart and amazon have ruined the world are the same people that are hostile to brick and mortar.
People need to wake up, we are on the razers edge. We need to support small businesses, or they are going to be gone.
And for the small businesses that do well they are gobbled up by the big dogs, gideons went from small bakery to if it keeps it up will probably be bought out by nestle or coke or who knows, who ill then cut costs (cheaper ingredients more filler) same cost if not more to the consumer so their profit margin is better.

markc

Same people that complain walmart and amazon have ruined the world are the same people that are hostile to brick and mortar.
People need to wake up, we are on the razers edge. We need to support small businesses, or they are going to be gone.
And for the small businesses that do well they are gobbled up by the big dogs, gideons went from small bakery to if it keeps it up will probably be bought out by nestle or coke or who knows, who ill then cut costs (cheaper ingredients more filler) same cost if not more to the consumer so their profit margin is better.

If small businesses can't be transparent or honest with their customers, I'd rather see them gone and replaced by a large conglomerate who is at least more honest to their patrons.

Gideon's has handled this in such a poor way that it's unfortunate. If they continue to conduct themselves this way, I'd rather see Mrs.Fields take their place at Disney Springs. lol

ppete1975

If small businesses can't be transparent or honest with their customers, I'd rather see them gone and replaced by a large conglomerate who is at least more honest to their patrons.

Gideon's has handled this in such a poor way that it's unfortunate. If they continue to conduct themselves this way, I'd rather see Mrs.Fields take their place at Disney Springs. lol
Large conglomerates arent any more honest they just have better PR people. Now yes this was handled wrong, but 98 percent of people are never going to know this happened, or look into it as deep as we have on this site. I assume they expect 90 percent to be tourists who have never heard of them, or have heard of them and are excited to try gideons I doubt the local people (that this might irritate) are the intended demographic.
I disagree with the larger conglomerate, I would rather a family or a small group make their living (hopefully fortune) on their ideas, concept and product, than a large faceless conglomerate that stock holders make the money and have cut out the quality food ingredients for stuff much lower quality ingredients and filler.

But i also shop local and try to avoid amazon like the plague.

oddly im on a disney message board.... hmmmm

markc

Large conglomerates arent any more honest they just have better PR people. Now yes this was handled wrong, but 98 percent of people are never going to know this happened, or look into it as deep as we have on this site. I assume they expect 90 percent to be tourists who have never heard of them, or have heard of them and are excited to try gideons I doubt the local people (that this might irritate) are the intended demographic.
I disagree with the larger conglomerate, I would rather a family or a small group make their living (hopefully fortune) on their ideas, concept and product, than a large faceless conglomerate that stock holders make the money and have cut out the quality food ingredients for stuff much lower quality ingredients and filler.

But i also shop local and try to avoid amazon like the plague.

oddly im on a disney message board.... hmmmm

I would rather a family business make money if they're honest. If they aren't - they have no business being in business. Period.

Conglomerates and larger companies are far better regulated - a fact easily shown earlier in this topic when it was mentioned that Gideons refuses to provide ingredient information because they're small enough that they dont have to due to their lack of size.

I get your basic point - and we all want to support mom and pop businesses, now more than ever. But I'm not supporting a mom and pop just to support them if they can't be good stewards of the community. And regardless of Gideon's target audience, their alleged behavior or suspected behavior doesn't get justified simply because of that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom