On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Goofyernmost

A bit of a cynical way to look at it.

I don’t think everyone who gets to their dreams works only for money.
Not for it... with it! That requires the desire to get the money unless one is born wealthy. And it depends on what the dream is. If it requires substantial material investment to obtain, then it is a prime motivation. If it is just a personal best like best skier or best baseball player or best singer, song writer and so on. Even then it requires at least a modicum of financial longing in order to maintain ones health in order to attain it. The degree of involvement varies, but still is there.

Stevie Amsterdam

when people with power and money get old they often get obsessed with legacy. They can have anything they want but they know they’ll be forgotten in time so they try to do something to be remembered by down the ages. Even walt was thinking EPCOT and cal arts when he passed
Potatoes potatos. Legacy is about the power to control the narrative long after you’re gone.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The Bob Iger story?

“You’ve got an IP in me”?

I thought his second fluff-filled book was a How-To, to be titled, “How To Buy Companies to Create A Mega Media Conglomerate (And Kill Creativity and Imagination At The Same Time)”.

I’m surprised his first book was expanded so far beyond the first draft, which was two 3x5 index cards (front AND back).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I thought his second fluff-filled book was a How-To, to be titled, “How To Buy Companies to Create A Mega Media Conglomerate (And Kill Creativity and Imagination At The Same Time)”.

I’m surprised his first book was expanded so far beyond the first draft, which was two 3x5 index cards (front AND back).

The first book was not very insightful...other than tacitly confirming what happened with Lucas

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The first book was not very insightful...other than tacitly confirming what happened with Lucas

You expected it to be insightful? “Buy stuff” “Contain Costs” “Big shareholders good” “Theme parks dumb” ;):hilarious:

Yeah, he basically kicked George to the curb once the ink dried on the sales agreement. “Bob have good Star Wars ideas. Bob no need George.” (I kid, I kid... Bob doesn’t sound like a Neanderthal at all)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You expected it to be insightful? “Buy stuff” “Contain Costs” “Big shareholders good” “Theme parks dumb” ;):hilarious:

Yeah, he basically kicked George to the curb once the ink dried on the sales agreement. “Bob have good Star Wars ideas. Bob no need George.” (I kid, I kid... Bob doesn’t sound like a Neanderthal at all)

I didn’t expect insightful...and Bob didn’t disappoint.

As far as the Neanderthal goes...they could have probably understood the ethos just as well 😉

Brer Panther

Don't forget "non IP-based rides bad".

mary2013

I'm still scratching my head on why they tough it was a good idea to lay off more people while restoring executive bonuses.. aaah priorities!
Did they restore bonuses? Disney's year ended September. I remember reading they restored the executive salary cuts. I don't remember reading they paid executive bonuses. But then, I don't read everything, so maybe they did. 🤷‍♀️

brianstl

It's nice to be on a discussion board on which no one here ever is motivated by money or power like the evil Iger is.

Post pics of your halos!!
I think the problem with Iger at the end of his time has not been wanting more money or power. A big part of the problem over these last years creatively have been decisions that were made that cost Iger/Disney money so Iger could be better positioned politically. Once Iger got the money it became about being loved and remembered. He thinks politics is his ticket to those goals.

I am sure many in Disney's studio divisions will be very happy when Iger is finally out of the creative process. There already are enough problems trying to balance financial goals with artistic goals. Having a former weatherman who now thinks he is a creative genius being guided by his future political ambitions in charge of Disney creatively right now has to be a nightmare.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Having a former weatherman who now thinks he is a creative genius being guided by his future political ambitions in charge of Disney creatively right now has to be a nightmare.
1611076264724.jpeg

brianstl

Still waiting for Iger to see his legacy become a "disgrace"....
His legacy will take a decent hit when Disney’s PR machine isn’t managing it anymore and their goal shifts to building up Chapek, just like Eisner’s did when he was replaced. Then a decade later there will be a reassessment where people will start saying it would be nice to have Iger back, just like what happened with Eisner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom