News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Parker in NYC

Yeah, that's what really worries me about the Tiana series. That it's only being made so they can "justify" the retheme or whatever.

Wait, didn't OLC reject the idea of a Princess and the Frog retheme of their Splash Mountain altogether?
Tiana will be reimagined, as the new series explores the origin story of Beigneta (the T isn't silent), the next Marvel Superhero. I'm sure OLC will no doubt be all in on that one.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
FB_IMG_1608071818800.jpg

Found this on Facebook. It's from the Winter 2020 Disney Files

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
When will they figure out that NOBODY WANTS THEM TO RETHEME SPLASH MOUNTAIN?
I wouldn't say nobody. I never was thrilled with the current theme or characters and would like to see an updated theme that is intended to be more inclusive and diverse. Others in these threads have also stated this opinion. I'm not surprised they didn't make an impression, though. The problem is that a lot of these threads, and particularly the ones on Splash, tend to become echo chambers because people who don't want to hear different opinions bully the others into leaving or giving up by asking the same questions ad nauseam and not listening to the answers.

More significantly, Disney has all the information it needs as far as what people think. It is Disney that wants to retheme Splash Mountain.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I wouldn't say nobody. I never was thrilled with the current theme or characters and would like to see an updated theme that is intended to be more inclusive and diverse. Others in these threads have also stated this opinion. I'm not surprised they didn't make an impression, though. The problem is that a lot of these threads, and particularly the ones on Splash, tend to become echo chambers because people who don't want to hear different opinions bully the others into leaving or giving up by asking the same questions ad nauseam and not listening to the answers.

More significantly, Disney has all the information it needs as far as what people think. It is Disney that wants to retheme Splash Mountain.
Diverse?
There's a rabbit, a bear, a fox, frogs, chickens... All based on African storytelling.

Bocabear

Diverse?
There's a rabbit, a bear, a fox, frogs, chickens... All based on African storytelling.
Amen! And inclusive? I don't think Princess and the Frog has representations of Latin, Asian or indigenous peoples or cultures...So it is definitely NOT more inclusive... It is just something else... The Splash Mountain storyline and characters had already been sanitized and shrink-wrapped for your protection... If someone did not tell you where it came from and why you should be offended, NO ONE would ever even know it was connected to that film...
If Disney wants to change the attraction to sell more plush and product, OK, but don't make it sound like they are changing it because everyone is offended by Splash Mountain after 30 years of operation...with no complaints

LittleBuford

I personally love the current theme and am sad to see it go, but I recognise that others are looking forward to the change and agree with you that this thread has become an angry echo chamber. I find it particularly unfortunate that people have latched onto the African folklore argument, which is now suddenly being invoked again and again even though it has nothing to do with how guests experience the attraction, and which seeks to downplay the positive impact that The Princess and the Frog, its flaws notwithstanding, has had in terms of diversity and representation.

_caleb

Amen! And inclusive? I don't think Princess and the Frog has representations of Latin, Asian or indigenous peoples or cultures...So it is definitely NOT more inclusive... It is just something else...
Disney wants to be more inclusive of black people. That’s the goal. It doesn’t mean “a single ride that includes as many races and ethnicities as possible,” it means “at least one major attraction that features black protagonists.“
The Splash Mountain storyline and characters had already been sanitized and shrink-wrapped for your protection... If someone did not tell you where it came from and why you should be offended, NO ONE would ever even know it was connected to that film...
This seems to be exactly what Disney thought when they build Splash Mountain. But then that cursed internet foiled their plans!
If Disney wants to change the attraction to sell more plush and product, OK, but don't make it sound like they are changing it because everyone is offended by Splash Mountain after 30 years of operation...with no complaints
No complaints? You’re joking, right?

You think Disney is committing to spend millions of dollars to change the ride with the primary goal of selling more Princess and the Frog merchandise?

Also, what makes you think Disney is lying when they say they thing changing Splash Mountain will make their parks more welcoming to people they want to feel welcome?

_caleb

I doubt they received many complaints (or enough to have prompted the retheme).
Right. We’ve long said that the change is likely NOT due to a certain number of complaints.

But there have been public complaints for some time now.

Again, I think Disney honestly sees this as a pro-active way to make minority groups (Black Americans, in particular) feel represented, included, and welcome. They want to get rid of something that may be a problem and add something that has proven to resonate with Black people.

I think many around here don’t understand how much Tiana means to many Black people. Remember the huge deal that princess have become? Black people have only had one princess that looks like them.

Animaniac93-98

Tiana will be reimagined, as the new series explores the origin story of Beigneta (the T isn't silent), the next Marvel Superhero. I'm sure OLC will no doubt be all in on that one.

The funny thing is your scenario would make it even less likely to be green lit by OLC. Marvel has 0 representation in Tokyo Disney. You're not even allowed to dress up as a Marvel character during "costume days". Universal Japan has the Spider-Man ride, though.

seascape

The funny thing is your scenario would make it even less likely to be green lit by OLC. Marvel has 0 representation in Tokyo Disney. You're not even allowed to dress up as a Marvel character during "costume days". Universal Japan has the Spider-Man ride, though.
The Universal contract with Marvel is ticking away. Expect the OLC to begin construction on an unnamed land before Universal breaks ground on EU.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom