The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Company fulfillment and shipping delays are a real thing this holiday season. There were two gifts (from a reputable vendor that I've done business with before), that indicated when I placed the 2 orders (different addresses) that the boxes may not get out for another 8 days. Then, there's the delivery truck shipping time beyond that. (Items were ordered around Dec. 4th -- I "thought" that was early enough?!)

🤦‍♀️ But I had no choice. These were the gifts I wanted to send, and nothing else I saw (from any vendor) appealed to me.

But, the good thing is that even if they don't arrive on time for Christmas, I have 2020 to blame, and everyone accepts that--so I'm off the hook no matter what! :cool:

Come to think of it, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of my list of 2020 excuses -- dishes stacked in the sink, laundry piling up, paperwork piling up on desk, etc. :p

I tried to give your post a laughing emoji, but, it would only let me add a sad one...2020...?! 🤷‍♂️🤔

JK, LOL, and all that jazz...!!!!! :D:hilarious:;)

donaldtoo

Sometimes there are truly stupid calls that can be answered with did you look in the obvious spot. Other times it's can you wake him because he sleeps through his phone and sometimes the yucky road conditions calls go to my phone

Interesting.
If someone called me from DWifey’s office, or someone called her from my office with work-related questions like that we’d probably answer with “You work with ‘em all day, how the hell would I know...?!?!? :cyclops::facepalm:“...!!!!! :hilarious:

I did get a text from the office on our last cruise on the beach in Cozumel.
It was from our office manager. One of the partners couldn’t find a drawing I left for him...it was, literally, in the middle of my drafting table on 24”x36” paper...!!!!! 🤪😉:hilarious:

donaldtoo

She doesn't have a job, but she does help me cook every night and does little things around the house we ask her to do, so she gets an allowance. Beyond that, for birthdays and Christmas and such the kids usually both ask for money instead of gifts so they can buy things like the phones, or A bought a Nintendo Switch a couple years back. Between Oma and Opa, their uncle here, and us, they get quite a bit for each birthday and Christmas. Opa and Oma also give them money every time they get a report card (twice a year). It's not dependent on grades at all, but their grades are always awesome anyway. And E is not a particularly big spender, so she saves easily. We still buy all their clothes and necessities, so her money is exclusively for fun stuff.

I think the working age here is maybe 15, but it's extremely limited by hours and such. And the minimum wage is age-based up until 23 years old, so a 15/16 year old only gets something like 2 euros per hour. In some ways, it seems unfair...they do the same work that an adult does, they should make the same. But then I see the kids where I work doing more goofing off than working and I think maybe there's some merrit to that. But then there's a difference in some kids...not all of them are like that. Some work really hard, some...really don't.

High school technically starts earlier I guess....there's no such thing as junior high/middle school. You go straight from elementary to high school, and the lower levels only have 4 years of high school, where the highest level is 6 years. E is in her 3rd year out of 6, so she's basically the equivalent of a high school freshman in the US. She'll graduate at 18. A is in his 2nd of 5 years, so while he's the equivalent of an 8th grader, he just turned 13 last week, so he's the age of a 7th grader, and he has one less year of school because special education doesn't offer the highest level, so he's also basically a freshman. He'll "graduate" in the same year E does. He'll be 16 when he's done with high school. BUT, the law over here says you can't be done with school until you have either some sort of diploma beyond high school or you turn 18. So he will be required to do some higher education after high school, whether he likes it or not. E won't, because she will be 18, but she'll do it anyway because what kind of job will you get with only a high school diploma? She loves learning too much to be content with that.

We never got an allowance (however, I think our lil’ sis did...? 🤔), although I mowed the yard and did other things around the house. Myself and a buddy mowed other peoples yards together during our freshman and sophomore years of HS, and made a bunch a’ money (to us anyway) doin’ that, so that worked out well.

As far as I know, the workin’ age here is still 16. That’s when I got my first job at the go-kart track. We were so busy there tending to customers, helping out in the shop, cleaning up the track, etc, we never had any time to goof off.

Long story that I’ve posted about here before, but, I was almost the youngest person in my HS class of 592 at age 17...I didn’t turn 18 ‘til the following October. At that time, the drinking age was 18 here in Texas, and everyone I knew in my class could buy booze while they were still high school students...and, buy it they did...!!!!! :hilarious:
I actually never went to college (other than a few classes at our local community college that I eventually dropped) for my career. But, the odds of doin’ that these days without, at least, a bachelors degree are minuscule. I have several co-workers that have a masters in architecture.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Interesting.
If someone called me from DWifey’s office, or someone called her from my office with work-related questions like that we’d probably answer with “You work with ‘em all day, how the hell would I know...?!?!? :cyclops::facepalm:“...!!!!! :hilarious:

I did get a text from the office on our last cruise on the beach in Cozumel.
It was from our office manager. One of the partners couldn’t find a drawing I left for him...it was, literally, in the middle of my drafting table on 24”x36” paper...!!!!! 🤪😉:hilarious:
That would not go over well where my dh works;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks MM

Oh it’s got even worse, Mrs Willmark fell down the stairs and broke her tail bone last week. My 13 year old beagle will need eye surgery....

Just keep paddling...

Oh no! What next?!!! I wish Mrs. Willmark a speedy recovery (not sure how long that type of injury lasts). Jeepers, just before Christmas, too. She must be beside herself. :(

As for your (older) beagle, I'm guessing it might be cataracts? Hoping the vet can help your dog. My dog is about 12 now and had a vet visit last week. He seems fine and energetic; but the vet called a day later after blood tests, and he may have some issues with his kidneys. She said we'll see how he is in 6 months, but it didn't sound as promising as I had hoped. Wasn't prepared to hear that.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh no! What next?!!! I wish Mrs. Willmark a speedy recovery (not sure how long that type of injury lasts). Jeepers, just before Christmas, too. She must be beside herself. :(

As for your (older) beagle, I'm guessing it might be cataracts? Hoping the vet can help your dog. My dog is about 12 now and had a vet visit last week. He seems fine and energetic; but the vet called a day later after blood tests, and he may have some issues with his kidneys. She said we'll see how he is in 6 months, but it didn't sound as promising as I had hoped. Wasn't prepared to hear that.
Poor Jack. If the vet is saying it can wait 6 months I don't think it's very serious. Hope it's something a little bit of meds can fix

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom