Reflections on my time away from WDW

bryanfze55

Original Poster
Hi all, I’ve been away for awhile. As I knew travel was impossible, or at least highly inconvenient, I lost my interest in keeping up with Disney news. With vaccines on the horizon, my wife and I began discussing the possibility of taking a trip October 2021. Normally, we are more fond of Disneyland and mixing it in with other SoCal attractions. Disneyland is just easier, cheaper, and (IMO only) better. However, even after vaccines are widespread, I’m hesitant to believe California will jump right back into normal life without capacity limits and such... so I’m reluctant to put my eggs in a “Disneyland vacation basket” as near as 10 months. Plus, we’ve gone to Disneyland the last three trips. As of 10/21, it’ll have been nearly 4 years since our last WDW trip. There are things about it that we miss, primarily Animal Kingdom, and thought it might be a good chance to go back. In the grand scheme of things, though, after time away from Disney parks, I’ve realized I miss them... but not as much as I thought I would. Being away from something or someone has a way of forcing you to look at things objectively rather than having your heartstrings pulled.

Now let me just say, I’ve stood up for Disney forever in terms of its pricing due to considering it a premium product with no equal on the market. I’m no longer convinced of that. The prices I was seeing for a start date of October 25th, 2021, were significantly more than they were last year (I planned a trip last year but didn’t execute). So that led me to do something I never thought I would do... look at Universal.

I didn’t care much for Universal the one time I went, but to be fair I didn’t go to Islands of Adventure. I was looking for an immersive theming to rival Disney, and I didn’t find it - but the comparison may have been unfair. I was comparing it to flagship Disney parks rather than Hollywood Studios or California Adventure. While the theming may be better in certain areas of those parks, I can’t deny that USO had the better ride line-up. And now that my older daughter is just shy of 48 inches (assuming she’ll reach that by 10/21) and loves thrill rides, I think Universal may be the right thing for us. And certainly the right thing for my wallet. Prices I quoted per Undercover Tourist, for two adults and one child ticket:

Universal
5-Day Base - $853
5-Day Park Hopper - $1,032
Add Volcano Bay: + $73

Disney
5-Day Base - $1,567
5-Day Park Hopper - $1,786
Add Blizzard Beach/Typhoon Lagoon: +$71

Now hotel rates for 10/24-10/30:
Royal Pacific - $305/night if including tax
Old Key West (a “reasonable” deluxe) - $513/night if including taxes

And let’s not forget, a stay at the Royal Pacific comes with free Express Pass... which, when traveling with young ones, is worth its weight in gold.

Even the Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs were coming out just slightly higher than Royal Pacific... motels... with no perks at the moment.

For the same price my family could go to Disney World for five days, we could do:

-Universal (w/Express Pass)
-Discovery Cove
-SeaWorld
-Busch Gardens
-Kennedy Space Center

And still probably save money due to cheaper lodging.

I really don’t want to burst anyone’s spirit. I am just kind of seeing this all really clearly for the first time. Quite the enlightenment. I love Disney. Love it. But it’s not as much of a premium product that it was. It’s been diluted. It’s a headache to get anywhere. Wait times are obscene. The classic stuff still pulls at the heartstrings, but the newer stuff is just on par with Universal - fun, good tech, but no charm. I’d argue Disney has a hard time competing with Universal on the first two and always did well relying on the latter. But they’ve largely abandoned that.

Resort prices are obscene. Now, I believe resorts are important. But I think WDW has long passed its sweet spot. When you have half as many resorts as you do total rides in all your theme parks, there’s a problem.

I can’t drink the Kool-Aid anymore. Not at those prices... not when comparing them to the competition rather than viewing them in isolation. I love the classic Disney stuff, and I will likely return to Disneyland many times in the future to breathe in what Walt Disney himself built. As for the new stuff? Again, I feel like Disney and Universal are building the same things just different IP. Sometimes Disney wins (RotR), sometimes Universal wins (WWoHP). But it’s all the same to me. It’s fun. It’s not emotive. And at this point, I honestly don’t care if I’m lining the pockets of Bob Chapek or Brian Roberts (Comcast CEO). My Disney loyalty has largely given way to indifference. At this point, I can’t see myself returning to WDW. We’re going to Universal next year and will gladly return if it’s a good trip.

*sorry for the novel.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hi all, I’ve been away for awhile. As I knew travel was impossible, or at least highly inconvenient, I lost my interest in keeping up with Disney news. With vaccines on the horizon, my wife and I began discussing the possibility of taking a trip October 2021. Normally, we are more fond of Disneyland and mixing it in with other SoCal attractions. Disneyland is just easier, cheaper, and (IMO only) better. However, even after vaccines are widespread, I’m hesitant to believe California will jump right back into normal life without capacity limits and such... so I’m reluctant to put my eggs in a “Disneyland vacation basket” as near as 10 months. Plus, we’ve gone to Disneyland the last three trips. As of 10/21, it’ll have been nearly 4 years since our last WDW trip. There are things about it that we miss, primarily Animal Kingdom, and thought it might be a good chance to go back. In the grand scheme of things, though, after time away from Disney parks, I’ve realized I miss them... but not as much as I thought I would. Being away from something or someone has a way of forcing you to look at things objectively rather than having your heartstrings pulled.

Now let me just say, I’ve stood up for Disney forever in terms of its pricing due to considering it a premium product with no equal on the market. I’m no longer convinced of that. The prices I was seeing for a start date of October 25th, 2021, were significantly more than they were last year (I planned a trip last year but didn’t execute). So that led me to do something I never thought I would do... look at Universal.

I didn’t care much for Universal the one time I went, but to be fair I didn’t go to Islands of Adventure. I was looking for an immersive theming to rival Disney, and I didn’t find it - but the comparison may have been unfair. I was comparing it to flagship Disney parks rather than Hollywood Studios or California Adventure. While the theming may be better in certain areas of those parks, I can’t deny that USO had the better ride line-up. And now that my older daughter is just shy of 48 inches (assuming she’ll reach that by 10/21) and loves thrill rides, I think Universal may be the right thing for us. And certainly the right thing for my wallet. Prices I quoted per Undercover Tourist, for two adults and one child ticket:

Universal
5-Day Base - $853

Disney
5-Day Base - $1,567

And let’s not forget, a stay at the Royal Pacific comes with free Express Pass... which, when traveling with young ones, is worth its weight in gold.

Even the Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs were coming out just slightly higher than Royal Pacific... motels... with no perks at the moment.

For the same price my family could go to Disney World for five days, we could do:

-Discovery Cove
-SeaWorld
-Busch Gardens
-Kennedy Space Center

I really don’t want to burst anyone’s spirit. I am just kind of seeing this all really clearly for the first time. Quite the enlightenment. I love Disney. Love it. But it’s not as much of a premium product that it was. It’s been diluted. It’s a headache to get anywhere. Wait times are obscene. The classic stuff still pulls at the heartstrings, but the newer stuff is just on par with Universal - fun, good tech, but no charm. I’d argue Disney has a hard time competing with Universal on the first two and always did well relying on the latter. But they’ve largely abandoned that.

Resort prices are obscene. Now, I believe resorts are important. But I think WDW has long passed its sweet spot. When you have half as many resorts as you do total rides in all your theme parks, there’s a problem.

I can’t drink the Kool-Aid anymore. Not at those prices... not when comparing them to the competition rather than viewing them in isolation. I love the classic Disney stuff, and I will likely return to Disneyland many times in the future to breathe in what Walt Disney himself built. As for the new stuff? Again, I feel like Disney and Universal are building the same things just different IP. Sometimes Disney wins (RotR), sometimes Universal wins (WWoHP). But it’s all the same to me. It’s fun. It’s not emotive. And at this point, I honestly don’t care if I’m lining the pockets of Bob Chapek or Brian Roberts (Comcast CEO). My Disney loyalty has largely given way to indifference. At this point, I can’t see myself returning to WDW. We’re going to Universal next year and will gladly return if it’s a good trip.

*sorry for the novel.
If you’ve not been to Islands of Adventure you’re in for a treat.

bryanfze55

Original Poster
If you’ve not been to Islands of Adventure you’re in for a treat.

Thanks. Let’s hope. I’m a bit put-off by the lack of “all-family” attractions at Uni, as we’ll have a 2-year-old at that point. But my eldest should enjoy it. More than anything, I’m looking forward to the combo of a close hotel and Express Pass creating a stress-free vacation that simply isn’t possible at WDW anymore. Afternoon nap? No problem.

ppete1975

Universal
5-Day Base - $853

Disney
5-Day Base - $1,567

-Discovery Cove
-SeaWorld
-Busch Gardens
-Kennedy Space Center

*sorry for the novel.
Then dont go? I don’t understand the need for everyones diatribes, where they need to explain why they are doing something besides Disney. Its your time and your money, do whatever you want

Minnesota disney fan

Thanks OP for that heartfelt comment. I also have those same feelings at this point. We also love Universal, even though it doesn't have the same nostalgia as WDW. I think you will love Universal, especially if you are staying onsite with EP! We always stay at Royal Pacific and love the location and the resort. It's definitely different than disney, but is fantastic in it's own right.
We are upset by the things you bring up, but we will probably go back to WDW next year sometime or the year after. We want to visit Disneyland, never been, but wonder when we will be able to do that? I've always heard how wonderful DL is and can't wait to go there.
We want to see other attractions/national parks in the California area also.
Right now, we don't think the value is there for a disney trip with the much mentioned lack of shows, resorts, food, etc and mask wearing, with no reduction in price. But others on here have gone and loved it. For us, it's not what we want to do at this time. However, I think Universal has more to offer at this time for us. It's all subjective and up to what each of us wants and expects.
BTW, I hate when people rudely say, Then just don't go. It's not that easy and cut and dried. We all love disney or we wouldn't be on these boards, but some are less than happy with disney right now. We have opted to wait to go to DL when we are able, and the next year maybe WDW.
Thanks for your opinion and feelings about disney right now for your family.

bryanfze55

Original Poster
Thanks OP for that heartfelt comment. I also have those same feelings at this point. We also love Universal, even though it doesn't have the same nostalgia as WDW. I think you will love Universal, especially if you are staying onsite with EP! We always stay at Royal Pacific and love the location and the resort. It's definitely different than disney, but is fantastic in it's own right.
We are upset by the things you bring up, but we will probably go back to WDW next year sometime or the year after. We want to visit Disneyland, never been, but wonder when we will be able to do that? I've always heard how wonderful DL is and can't wait to go there.
Right now, we don't think the value is there for a disney trip with the much mentioned lack of shows, resorts, food, etc and mask wearing, with no reduction in price. But others on here have gone and loved it. For us, it's not what we want to do at this time. However, I think Universal has more to offer at this time for us. It's all subjective and up to what each of us wants and expects.
BTW, I hate when people rudely say, Then just don't go. It's not that easy and cut and dried. We all love disney or we wouldn't be on these boards, but some are less than happy with disney right now. We have opted to wait to go to DL when we are able, and the next year maybe WDW.

Thanks for your kind words. You really should get to Disneyland when you can... may still be awhile until it opens at full capacity, but when that happens it’s a worthwhile trip. I really think you’d rediscover some of the Disney magic. There's a real energy (both kinetic and imaginative) to Disneyland Park that I no longer felt at Magic Kingdom. California Adventure is not quite that, but it's a worthwhile diversion. There are more rides between the two Disneyland parks than there are between the four WDW parks. The parks can be a short walk away, depending on how close you stay.

A couple downsides: if you want a really close walk, you'll likely have to stay in somewhat overpriced motel-style lodging (or pay a huge premium for the Courtyard - which is very nice, but usually $300+ per night). This can be a turnoff for some. But it's a competitive market, so most of the motels try to do a good job. Also, you'll likely pass homeless people on your walk to and from the parks if you choose to walk. You will likely be asked for money. This can take you out of the "bubble." But if you isolate the park experience itself, WDW really pales in comparison to DL.

Universal Hollywood probably isn't particularly worth your time if you've been to the one in Orlando. Ditto for SeaWorld. If you like Animal Kingdom, I recommend the San Diego Zoo Safari Park as an add-on to your trip. The safari experience is better than the one at Animal Kingdom (though it is extra). If you like national parks, Joshua Tree is about 2 hours from LA and Kings Canyon/Sequoia is about 4 hours away. A fall/winter trip favors the former, a summer trip favors the latter.

With two weeks, you can have an extremely awesome SoCal vacation with a level of variety that Florida just doesn't offer.

bryanfze55

Original Poster
Then dont go? I don’t understand the need for everyones diatribes, where they need to explain why they are doing something besides Disney. Its your time and your money, do whatever you want

Well, we are on a Disney fan site where opinions run rampant. I think my opinion is worth stating, and your opinion that I should shut up is also worth stating. We're all equal here in WDWMagic Land.

ppete1975

Well, we are on a Disney fan site where opinions run rampant. I think my opinion is worth stating, and your opinion that I should shut up is also worth stating. We're all equal here in WDWMagic Land.
Its not directly you. As you say its a fan site. So rumors, excitement, concerns and fandom i expect. But once someone is done, i don’t understand the need. Im sure its the amount of negativity we have seen lately on the site that drew my post. If i dont like hawaii (even if I previously loved it) i doubt id post on a hawaii message board. Just a phenomenon i don’t understand

bryanfze55

Original Poster
Its not directly you. As you say its a fan site. So rumors, excitement, concerns and fandom i expect. But once someone is done, i don’t understand the need. Im sure its the amount of negativity we have seen lately on the site that drew my post. If i dont like hawaii (even if I previously loved it) i doubt id post on a hawaii message board. Just a phenomenon i don’t understand
It’s emotional. As great as Hawaii probably is, it doesn’t conjure the same emotional response that Disney does. In my opinion, Hawaii is a destination whereas Disney is both a destination and a feeling... and possibly a drug.

In general, this site does skew negative (often realistically). Disboards is more straight news - and way more boring.

Marden

I cancelled our APs when given the chance earlier this year, and it wasn't a hard decision.

Over the past few years I increasingly felt like WDW just wasnt worth the price. I lied to myself a few times and renewed.

The last straw was last December before the shutdown. I found myself staring at my phone, refreshing fastpass options, and finding nothing I wanted to do because everything was taken - while the entire MK was at a hour-ish wait or more for standard lines.

NickMaio

Agreed.....this is a forum.
A place for opinion and discussion.
The people that say dont go.....really love the kool-aid
To the OP.
We echo your sentiments. Uni is hard for us because our family is very young.
WDW is not what is was. It did not keep innovating enough to warrant these sharp price increases over the last 10 plus years.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Universal
5-Day Base - $853

Disney
5-Day Base - $1,567

-Discovery Cove
-SeaWorld
-Busch Gardens
-Kennedy Space Center

*sorry for the novel.
Every one of your points is the sharp end of a nail in the lid of WDW's coffin. More and more people are coming to your realizations, and I fully expect that some day in the not-too-distant future WDW might well change hands and join some other amusement park company's stable of offerings.

bryanfze55

Original Poster
Every one of your points is the sharp end of a nail in the lid of WDW's coffin. More and more people are coming to your realizations, and I fully expect that some day in the not-too-distant future WDW might well change hands and join some other amusement park company's stable of offerings.

I wonder about that. Prior to COVID-19, it would seem that WDW was one of Disney's primary "cash cows." Assuming the pandemic is behind us soon, I do believe there will be a lot of pent-up demand. I feel Disney would be reluctant to sell.

UNCgolf

Royal Pacific is a great hotel. I don't think it has the same level of theming as the best Disney hotels, but as you pointed out, it's also significantly cheaper than a Disney deluxe and you can easily walk to CityWalk and both parks from there. If you don't want to walk, there's also a boat. I would happily stay there again.

Islands of Adventure is a better park than USO. Diagon Alley is incredible, the Mummy ride is very good, and E.T. is a wonderfaul classic dark ride that would never be built today and will probably be replaced eventually. There's really nothing else worthwhile at USO, other than Rip Ride Rockit if you're a coaster fan. The Springfield area is well done, but the food there is inedible and it doesn't take very long to just look at the buildings.

Although Diagon Alley is much better overall than Hogsmeade (which is at Islands of Adventure and is too small, not to mention the waste of Hogwarts as a setting), Hogsmeade is still really well done and has more attractions. The Jurassic Park area is really good even though the Discovery Center needs a significant technological upgrade -- the Jurassic Park ride is my favorite at Universal. Plus you've got Spiderman, a good rapids ride, a log flume, etc.

I'd recommend doing most (if not all) of your eating at CityWalk, though. Every meal we had in the parks at Universal was horrendous, although I've heard the food in Diagon Alley isn't bad and Mythos is supposed to be solid. The food we had at CityWalk ranged from solid to legitimately excellent.

With all that said, Universal is only a 2 day destination for me. I can easily do everything I care about doing in two days there, whereas I can spend a full week at Disney.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

This forum loves to tout UOR as the "anti-WDW", the answer to your WDW woes, like its somehow everything you want out of WDW like you remember, and it just simply isn't true. For every thing that Universal does better, there's at least another thing they do far worse. If you've never been, it'll be a fresh experience, but adjust your expectations.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

Original Poster
This forum loves to tout UOR as the "anti-Disney World", like its somehow everything you want out of WDW like you remember, and it just simply isn't true. For every thing that Universal does better, there's at least another thing they do far worse. If you've never been, it'll be a fresh experience, but adjust your expectations.

You're right. I don't think Universal is better (limited experience, but still). I think both are publicly traded companies that try to get what they can out of every customer. But as of now, Disney is asking a lot more out of their customers - both in terms of cost and effort.

doctornick

This forum loves to tout UOR as the "anti-WDW", the answer to your WDW woes, like its somehow everything you want out of WDW like you remember, and it just simply isn't true. For every thing that Universal does better, there's at least another thing they do far worse. If you've never been, it'll be a fresh experience, but adjust your expectations.
Right. I think Uni is (in general) cheaper and less crowded, but I wouldn’t say it’s overall “better” in terms of being a higher quality experience. If someone is looking for a return to the Disney of 30-40 years ago, Uni is no closer to that than WDW.

I think if the aspects of WDW that a person likes include the charming dark rides and AA shows or the large scale parades/entertainment then Uni still hasn’t created stuff that would replace that.

OTOH if your main complaint with WDW is the planning or the time commitment or the cost, Uni definitely can be a good substitute to address those issues. They have a better balance between their two parks. And if you are looking for more thrills, it certainly has that in its favor.

A person who is disillusioned with WDW might be better off just giving up theme parks in general depending on what aspect is their main disappointment because that Disney Difference isnt coming back.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Doubtful. Amusement Parks at the scale of Disneyworld dont happen often as governments as well as finance have to be in agreement. There's also the matter of IP which Disney has been impacted by a poorly termed contract with its acquisition of Marvel. Any such sale would be a bulldozer transaction for redevelopment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom