Reflections on my time away from WDW

Chi84

Premium Member
Let's not go down this path. It's not about "not going"...its about getting value for what you are paying. Everybody on this board loves Disney. A lot of us also love Uni, SeaWorld, heck, even ICON. The point here is - the "Disney Experience" is no longer an "experience". It's a fun, distracting, entertaining day (or few days) that equates to a considerable amount of money. Unless you are an AP on AP pricing, you're getting gouged right now.

To some, getting gouged is acceptable. To others, not so much. At the end of the day you make the decision to get gouged or not. But don't criticize people who feel they are. It is acceptable to "enjoy" Disney and yet feel the experience was not worth the price you paid. This is the reason we have forums such as this in the first place. To express opinions. Opinions are not right or wrong. They are opinions. You can agree with them. Or you don't.

If you don't agree with a posters position either don't respond or give your rationale about why you disagree (which doesn't make you or them - right or wrong). Throwing a tantrum doesn't make for good reading.
So people can determine that it’s acceptable to get gouged or decide whether or not to get gouged. Is it possible for someone to feel they’re not getting gouged?

eliza61nyc

So people can determine that it’s acceptable to get gouged or decide whether or not to get gouged. Is it possible for someone to feel they’re not getting gouged?
Of course it can. First people have a wide range of disposable income.
Next, as is always said value is subjected based on many things. I live in a city with a soda tax so in my world 3.00 bucks for a coke is normal. Friday I stopped by McDonald's with the rugrats crowd. Lol 3.50 for a large 🍟. So no Disney food prices are not what I would call price gouging.
Lol someone was selling a can of lysol here for 17 bucks for the can. Lady behind me said " not bad"🤣
Anyhow not everyone is on a strict budget,

Now also what you like comes into play, we haven't been to universal since harry potter land but my kids hate harry potter so even if we got in free that place would seem like a waste of time, which for us is way more valuable than money (at this time). We went once though and had a good time.

I haven't been to Disney since 2019 but as of yet have never ever felt like I was getting gouged

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Gouging isn’t owned by Disney. Most tourist places do it. But at the end of the day it’s the individuals disposable income to do with what they’d like.

What I find interesting is that everybody has “a line”. And those lines vary widely and are very, very subjective. People will gladly accept certain things that are over priced yet complain about others. And that’s because the expectations are all over the place.

JIMINYCR

Gouging isn’t owned by Disney. Most tourist places do it. But at the end of the day it’s the individuals disposable income to do with what they’d like.

What I find interesting is that everybody has “a line”. And those lines vary widely and are very, very subjective. People will gladly accept certain things that are over priced yet complain about others. And that’s because the expectations are all over the place.
And the good thing is is that we all are free to make those decisions and there are so many other options available if we arent happy. Unfortunately those who enjoy vocalizing their displeasure with one place over another want to sway others to their side and discount entirely those who disagree with them.

Chi84

Premium Member

I believe price gouging has a more specific meaning than just being overpriced - there are even laws against it. On the other hand, whether or not a vacation venue is overpriced is very subjective.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I believe price gouging has a more specific meaning than just being overpriced - there are even laws against it. On the other hand, whether or not a vacation venue is overpriced is very subjective.

True. There are laws. But the basic definition is "Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair." I think the laws come into play more so when there is a natural disaster or emergency and people are trying to sell a bottle of water for $25.

We can look at a basic level at the cost of a pint of a Guinness at R&C. About $11. Just outside the parks at an Alehouse you can get the same pint for about $5. So I would take the position that Disney's price is not reasonable or fair. However, that being said, that particular item I do pay for - Knowing full well that I'm being charged an exorbitant amount. Because I enjoy it. And I know the quality I will be getting. An $18 burger combo I usually don't. Not because of the price alone, but because I know the quality (or lack thereof) of the item I will be receiving. And the fact that in combination - of price paid vs item received - I feel the price is not reasonable or fair. So I'll usually pass there.

But again, this is all subjective. Others may behave completely opposite to me. And have ways they rationalize things. And it's all good. But back to the original point - IMO (which is my own personal view) I don't believe Disney's ticket prices (without the parades, the fireworks, the limited operating hours, the character meet and greets, the entertainment cuts, the fact that not all locations in a park are even open, the lack of staffing) are fair or reasonable. That doesn't mean I won't go. Just means I (again my own personal opinion) feel I am being gouged.

Chi84

Premium Member
True. There are laws. But the basic definition is "Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair." I think the laws come into play more so when there is a natural disaster or emergency and people are trying to sell a bottle of water for $25.

We can look at a basic level at the cost of a pint of a Guinness at R&C. About $11. Just outside the parks at an Alehouse you can get the same pint for about $5. So I would take the position that Disney's price is not reasonable or fair. However, that being said, that particular item I do pay for - Knowing full well that I'm being charged an exorbitant amount. Because I enjoy it. And I know the quality I will be getting. An $18 burger combo I usually don't. Not because of the price alone, but because I know the quality (or lack thereof) of the item I will be receiving. And the fact that in combination - of price paid vs item received - I feel the price is not reasonable or fair. So I'll usually pass there.

But again, this is all subjective. Others may behave completely opposite to me. And have ways they rationalize things. And it's all good. But back to the original point - IMO (which is my own personal view) I don't believe Disney's ticket prices (without the parades, the fireworks, the limited operating hours, the character meet and greets, the entertainment cuts, the fact that not all locations in a park are even open, the lack of staffing) are fair or reasonable. That doesn't mean I won't go. Just means I (again my own personal opinion) feel I am being gouged.
The next sentence in the definition is "Usually, this event occurs after a demand or supply shock." Obviously, no laws would prevent pricing above the subjective determination of what is reasonable or fair. Price-gouging usually refers to unethical behavior in pricing necessities beyond what is reasonable due to a scarcity of supply. Personally, I find it hyperbole to accuse a vacation spot of price-gouging. You may disagree, and that's fine.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The next sentence in the definition is "Usually, this event occurs after a demand or supply shock." Obviously, no laws would prevent pricing above the subjective determination of what is reasonable or fair. Price-gouging usually refers to unethical behavior in pricing necessities beyond what is reasonable due to a scarcity of supply. Personally, I find it hyperbole to accuse a vacation spot of price-gouging. You may disagree, and that's fine.

The way the word is used varies. I understand the legal definition. But in practicality most people I know use the word to convey over-charging to an almost unacceptable point. By me it's pretty much understood that you don't go to the gas station near an exit to an expressway because their prices for a gallon of gas are going to be higher than a station a few miles away. I've always heard (and have used) the word "gouge" as in "don't go to that Mobil - 'cause they'll gouge you".

Doesn't make their business practices illegal. You could make an argument for unethical (but that too is subjective). And sure, my use (and that of others) may not convey the spirit of the legal definition but that's how I've seen it used. Not trying to be argumentative. And it's fine that we disagree. Not trying to sway you to my point of view. Just trying to explain mine.

Chi84

Premium Member
The way the word is used varies. I understand the legal definition. But in practicality most people I know use the word to convey over-charging to an almost unacceptable point. By me it's pretty much understood that you don't go to the gas station near an exit to an expressway because their prices for a gallon of gas are going to be higher than a station a few miles away. I've always heard (and have used) the word "gouge" as in "don't go to that Mobil - 'cause they'll gouge you".

Doesn't make their business practices illegal. You could make an argument for unethical (but that too is subjective). And sure, my use (and that of others) may not convey the spirit of the legal definition but that's how I've seen it used. Not trying to be argumentative. And it's fine that we disagree. Not trying to sway you to my point of view. Just trying to explain mine.
I agree with much of what you said in a prior post. The issue with Disney is that it is unique and therefore makes comparison more complicated. Gas is gas wherever you get it - the only difference is the price. We haven't found another vacation venue that provides as much variety and convenience as Disney, so trying to determine what is "fair" for them to charge is difficult.

Trackmaster

Let's not go down this path. It's not about "not going"...its about getting value for what you are paying. Everybody on this board loves Disney. A lot of us also love Uni, SeaWorld, heck, even ICON. The point here is - the "Disney Experience" is no longer an "experience". It's a fun, distracting, entertaining day (or few days) that equates to a considerable amount of money. Unless you are an AP on AP pricing, you're getting gouged right now.

To some, getting gouged is acceptable. To others, not so much. At the end of the day you make the decision to get gouged or not. But don't criticize people who feel they are. It is acceptable to "enjoy" Disney and yet feel the experience was not worth the price you paid. This is the reason we have forums such as this in the first place. To express opinions. Opinions are not right or wrong. They are opinions. You can agree with them. Or you don't.

If you don't agree with a posters position either don't respond or give your rationale about why you disagree (which doesn't make you or them - right or wrong). Throwing a tantrum doesn't make for good reading.

Yeah, while the annual passes can get pretty expensive themselves, paying $120 for one day just feels different. At that point, you pretty much need to rope drop and leave when the park closes, you have no other option. With the slashed hours, you're talking about $12 an hour just to be in the park. You have to make every minute count. Stop at a restaurant? Well you just $12 per person on top of the inflated prices for it being at a theme park to do something you could have done outside the park. Wait in line for 2 hours for a ride? Well you just spent almost $30 for that ride when you factor in the length of the ride itself plus walking to it, and walking to your next thing.

Its a lot more calming when you're not reaching into your wallet to go to the park every day. It almost feels like you're paying out of pocket just to do everything little thing that day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom