What did you do?

Surferboy567

Lately, when I have been running and only when running. I have been developing pain (not a lot) in my bottom leg. Upon looking this up I think it MAY be Shin Splits...any help? I really don’t want to stop running. It also makes sense given I just ran my first 10K while not totally trained (I was mostly trained bar one mile). Anyway that I can get some relief as well as to not injure myself further and continue running? I am not sure but I think it MAY be getting worse in terms of pain nothing super serious but enough for me to start thinking about it.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Lately, when I have been running and only when running. I have been developing pain (not a lot) in my bottom leg. Upon looking this up I think it MAY be Shin Splits...any help? I really don’t want to stop running. It also makes sense given I just ran my first 10K while not totally trained (I was mostly trained bar one mile). Anyway that I can get some relief as well as to not injure myself further and continue running? I am not sure but I think it MAY be getting worse in terms of pain nothing super serious but enough for me to start thinking about it.
If it is shin splints, I think you typically just have to rest for a few days as best you can.

But, if you’re like me and say, “screw it, let me try a few other things first” 😀, you might get some benefit with some additional support in some combination of more padded or rocker style (that help the foot roll through the step, but rockers typically are not built for speed) shoes, compression socks or ankle or leg sleeves, and/or a thicker (just not the thin spandex kind) knee sleeves that could help maintain a better alignment/form as you stride. Also, maybe changing up stride length and focusing on shorter strides for a few runs. My thinking is that distribute the load, apply a little pressure, and help with proper alignment might do some good (but still maybe not more than taking a couple days off).

Almost forgot, also, when you aren’t running, stretching before and after, and ice and elevation should help.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

First off thanks @Demarke for the tips!

I am still unsure if it’s shin splits or not, could be general soreness I am just not sure.

Anyways I completed my long “run” for this week. This being a recovery week it is shorter then my normal runs. Little less then a 5K distance. Figured I may as well complete it and then give myself till Tuesday to rest (as per the plan). That should give me time to rest and recover my legs (hopefully).

Time: 39:28
Distance: 3.02
Avg Pace: 13:04

OG Runner

Doing my first virtual race the Friday after Thanksgiving. I usually run the Feaster Five in Massachusetts on Thanksgiving. I run the 5 miler
and my girlfriend runs the 5K. The races usually go off at the same time. Well this year, since it is virtual they are offering a special if you run both the 5 miler & 5K. So, the plan is on Friday, November 27, 2020, I am going to run 8.1 miles to complete both and earn my medals.

Surferboy567

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but you mention the majority, if not all of your runs are maintenance runs.
What runs do you not consider maintenance runs?
Tuesday, Thursday maintenance runs
Saturday- Long runs

(later on in the plan Saturday is added as a walk then Sunday becomes a long run)

I run according to the plan, really only on the days it says to run on, so that I can rest in between days.

Surferboy567

Just did my long run for this week of training.

Time: 1:06:50
Distance: 5.02
Avg Pace: 13:18 (trying to keep the pace right around this for the long runs as plan says to be 2 mins slower then what you expect to be on race day)

I ran my Wine and Dine 10K in 12:32 (according to my tracker) so I can make my pace a little slower if that is what I am targeting for race day. Anywhere around the 12:00-13:30 is what I think I’ll probably do the races at in terms of pacing.

GenerationX

Took the first weekend off running for a while. Instead, played football today (1.5 hours of stop-and-go running) and tennis yesterday (lost to middle son 6-3, 6-3 in, again, about 1.5 hours of stop-and-go running). I'll be curious if my speed improves on my next run.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Did a real, live, in-person half marathon Saturday! Finished in 2:10:35, beating my prior real race PR by almost 13 minutes, and beat my best prior reliably distanced 13.1 (half split in a marathon last March), by 6 minutes! Weather was between 60-65F, so it’s giving me hope that I just might be able to flirt with a 2:00:00 time if I can find a race on a day closer to 45-50F sometime this winter!

Either way, I just updated my time on my Star Wars registration, so, on the off chance that we get to race in April, Corral C here I come!! 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom