Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

tirian

This reminds of out with the old and in with the new. When they do bring back entertainment, do they have to bring back the same people and give the same salary/benefits as of when they left?

If you have never been to WDW you would not miss entertainment or fireworks.
...Except they’ve been integral parts of the experience for 50 years, and everyone expects parades, fireworks, shows, etc. :(

Chapek is a moron if he thinks the resort will maintain its hard-earned reputation after he systematically cuts everything that contributed to its popularity.

wannabeBelle

I have a lot of thoughts and feelings on this. Of course knowing a few in entertainment I am sad and devastated for them. Entertainment/performers across the country are hurting big time right now. Many of these things were not coming back anytime soon given the situation. So many factors at play. Some things probably could have returned with modifications but Disney doesn't want to in order to save money. Would Disney execs cutting their pay save all of these jobs? Of course not. But it certainly would make the optics a bit better. They'll still get a nice bonus package I'm sure. Prior to this pandemic I will admit I drank the kool-aid hard in most instances. The Disney defense is getting harder and harder for me with every day. I know some of these things, even maybe most of these things will return eventually. The smaller things like Citizens of Hollywood though are in the most trouble after years of small cuts.
Saving money is great but it cant come at the cost of your product. Disney has a proven history of cutting Entertainment specifically over the years. Way before anything Covid related was happening so that has nothing to do with this, The executives taking full pay while cutting the very things that the people are coming to see is awful. It reminds me of the scene in Titanic where the band is playing for the first class passengers while the ship is sinking. I love Disney as much as the next person, but this is a travesty. I truly believe the long term health of the company is at stake here. Marie

tirian

Saving money is great but it cant come at the cost of your product. Disney has a proven history of cutting Entertainment specifically over the years. Way before anything Covid related was happening so that has nothing to do with this, The executives taking full pay while cutting the very things that the people are coming to see is awful. It reminds me of the scene in Titanic where the band is playing for the first class passengers while the ship is sinking. I love Disney as much as the next person, but this is a travesty. I truly believe the long term health of the company is at stake here. Marie
I agree. We know this could be short-term, and we know the company is in financial trouble regardless of how many online fans insist it isn’t. We also know the company isn’t falling apart anytime soon and will bounce back after Covid is resolved.

But will Chapek spend the money again after guests prove they’ll initially show up anyway? That’s the question. Batuu says no.

wannabeBelle

A friend had surmised that they would be replaced with Entertainment for the new Star Wars area. We all see how that went, correct? The bottom line was they werent let go for anything as noble as they didnt fit the theme of the park, or even we dont have anywhere to put them. They were mobile and could have gone anywhere in the park. And now even more is gone. This is no bueno. Marie

tirian

Beauty and the Beast
Citizens of Hollywood
Finding Nemo
Indiana Jones
Laugh Floor
Equity Green Army Men
Citizens of Main Street
Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire dancers
Move it Shake it singers
Hoop de Doo
All gone.
Add Turtle Talk.

More layoffs are expected next week. Source: Mgmt is telling this to CMs.

Rumors say character performers who aren’t Equity, but that part isn’t confirmed.

Magic Feather

Myself and a few others have been trying to get at how truly gutted Entertainment has been. While performers are the ones getting the spotlight today, these cuts go all the way backstage (in the theater sense). Most of these productions aren't going to be able to even remotely easily restart. Truly depressing, especially considering how different of a world we could be living in if just a few different things were done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom