Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

cmwade77

Orange County as a whole needs to do it. They need to get testing levels above the state average, they are currently below it. Just doubling the testing levels would enable OC to get to Orange tier immediately as has been discussed in this thread already with real numbers.
Yeah, the problem is OC Residents no longer trust the government and it really isn't hard to understand why given the mess Newsom has made of things, so they only get tested if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Yeah, the problem is OC Residents no longer trust the government and it really isn't hard to understand why given the mess Newsom has made of things, so they only get tested if absolutely necessary.
That’s self-sabotage then. Despite the recall fools, here on earth, Gavin will be governor through the end of this pandemic. Best to play by his rules even if they are ridiculous. A rapid test should be the prize in every Happy Meal.

truecoat

55% of Californians approve of his handling of the corona virus. Pretty good numbers considering all the anti-science opinions that permeate social media.

Darkbeer1

Orange County as a whole needs to do it. They need to get testing levels above the state average, they are currently below it. Just doubling the testing levels would enable OC to get to Orange tier immediately as has been discussed in this thread already with real numbers.

The two Super Sites, Anaheim Convention Center and OC Fairgrounds no longer require appointments.

Anaheim is now offering testing at City Hall.

Plenty of testing sites, what is OC supposed to do? Pay residents to get tested?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The two Super Sites, Anaheim Convention Center and OC Fairgrounds no longer require appointments.

Plenty of testing sites, what is OC supposed to do? Pay residents to get tested?

Why do you think that San Franciscans are being tested at twice the rate of Orangians? Are they paying them upstate to get tested?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Why not offer incentives? Disney can buy its way to reopening.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I think counties should offer more tailored Wellness incentives, particularly to certain higher risk populations to meet the equity metric (as opposed to free Disney dollars).

What’s frustrating from a layman’s view with all this bureaucratic malaise is the lack of transparency. If San Francisco was successful getting to this metric it would seemingly actually behoove the state to share that “secret sauce” with all the local counties and the public writ large since a rising tide lifts all boats.

Since the OC Department of Health seems to doubt they can get to yellow until summer it’s concerning that this information sharing between counties isn’t seemingly occurring.

Even if it’s a simple communication failure (or the subsequent stubbornness OC leadership), from the view of the general public it understandably gives the appearance of something more malicious, and could lead to accusations of political favoritism over advancements of public health. And event for the most vehement proponents of this “Health First” approach, I’d argue if you want the public to buy-in over the long term without getting fatigued, the principles should be applying consistent standards that are easy to understand, trusted, and evenly applied so as to shield against the spread of disinformation and distrust in public health.

Like it or not, people (including most public officials) have inherently short attention spans, and Newsom’s framework has not been simple to understand or implement.

Last edited:

PostScott

55% of Californians approve of his handling of the corona virus. Pretty good numbers considering all the anti-science opinions that permeate social media.
Source? I mean polls aren't really a good representation of a majority opinion... we saw that in 2016 and were seeing it rn

D

Deleted member 107043

Why not offer incentives? Disney can buy its way to reopening.

Public incentives might be a better use of their money in this moment than funding a local political action committee.

Why do you think that San Franciscans are being tested at twice the rate of Orangians? Are they paying them upstate to get tested?

FWIW the LA Times published an article today investigating how San Francisco has so far successfully controlled the spread of Covid.

"Experts credit San Francisco’s success to a long partnership between public health officers and universities, most notably during the AIDS crisis. San Francisco is not monolithic, but its residents largely followed health guidelines. Unlike other counties, which may have dozens of mayors and city councils, San Francisco is also a city with only one mayor and a Board of Supervisors, and both have largely deferred to the judgment of health officials."

ToTBellHop

Source? I mean polls aren't really a good representation of a majority opinion... we saw that in 2016 and were seeing it rn
Source?

The polls were pretty accurate in 2016. People not understanding polls does not make them inaccurate. Margin of error is important in any statistical model. If a poll says candidate A leads candidate B 49% to 48% with a margin of error of +/- 3.5, and the result is candidate A loses 48% to 49%, the poll was accurate.

PostScott

The polls were pretty accurate in 2016. People not understanding polls does not make them inaccurate. Margin of error is important in any statistical model. If a poll says candidate A leads candidate B 49% to 48% with a margin of error of +/- 3.5, and the result is candidate A loses 48% to 49%, the poll was accurate.
You can never truly have an accurate poll if not an entire targeted population takes it. Technically, the poll for the 2016 election was correct and Donald Trump won. However for most of the other polls, the majority of the american population doesn't take a specific poll until the election.

I'm sorry that I dont have a specific source for this but- I remember very vividly that most new sources were stating how Trump was not gonna win, and backed up that statement with multiple graphs and polls with Clinton and others far ahead of Trump. Gonna say that I'm not the biggest fan of Trump (so I don't get cancelled), but I'm just pointing out the past. And yes, my "seeing it rn" statement was a bit of an exaggeration, but it was to emphasize my point.

TP2000

So Buena Vista Street is a part of Downtown Disney now?

"Only the shopping and dining experiences along Buena Vista Street will be accessible from the Downtown Disney District at this time, as Disney California Adventure park is currently closed."

Huh? If it's closed how can people be inside the park shopping and eating?

Overall I'm baffled by the lack of leadership and inability for the DLR to demonstrate even the most basic levels of innovation and ingenuity in dealing with the pandemic. It's like everyone's brains at Team Disney Anaheim have been paralyzed since March.

This is a valid question Hans, and one I asked myself (with a scrunched up nose even).

But if big indoor shopping/restaurant malls in OC like South Coast Plaza are allowed to be open, and big outdoor shopping/restaurant malls in OC like Fashion Island or Irvine Spectrum are allowed to be open, why can't Buena Vista Street and/or Main Street USA be open for shopping and dining? Downtown Disney is already open, so why can't they expand to adjacent stores and restaurants that are currently closed? But... it's in a theme park, which is somehow inherently less safe?

After some contemplation, I believe the answer is that the folks in Sacramento who write The Guidance don't think this stuff through all the way. Either shopping in stores for non-essential merchandise is safe or its not, regardless of whether that store is a Home Goods in Irvine or it's The Emporium in Disneyland. So how can you say that shopping at Ulta Beauty and Best Buy at the Anaheim Marketplace off I-5 is safe, but shopping at Elias & Co. or the kitchenware shop in DCA is not?

But I am even more baffled at how theme parks like Knott's and Sea World have been getting away with their "food festivals" and "Fall-O-Ween" events inside their theme parks. "Festivals" are specifically forbidden in any of the four Tiers, and municipalities up and down the state cancelled their outdoor street fairs and food festivals and county fairs for the past six months. But Knott's Berry Farm can do a "Fall-O-Ween" event in their theme park with food and shopping and entertainment and characters and trick-or-treating for the kids? I don't get it. o_O

Welcome to Knott's Berry Farm's Fall-O-Ween! Just don't call it a "festival", and we'll be fine.
20200926_141309-scaled.jpg

ToTBellHop

You can never truly have an accurate poll if not an entire targeted population takes it. Technically, the poll for the 2016 election was correct and Donald Trump won. However for most of the other polls, the majority of the american population doesn't take a specific poll until the election.

I'm sorry that I dont have a specific source for this but- I remember very vividly that most new sources were stating how Trump was not gonna win, and backed up that statement with multiple graphs and polls with Clinton and others far ahead of Trump. Gonna say that I'm not the biggest fan of Trump (so I don't get cancelled), but I'm just pointing out the past. And yes, my "seeing it rn" statement was a bit of an exaggeration, but it was to emphasize my point.
Polls in battlegrounds tightened considerably in the days leading up to the election. Via electoral-vote.com, comparing this year to 2016 in key states. Our blinders were on in 2016.

BF595744-3800-4FA8-A679-294B41DE22AA.jpeg

A statistical model is only as good as it is designed to be. 2016 models assumed too few caucasians without a college degree would vote. Models have been adjusted.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Polls in battlegrounds tightened considerably in the days leading up to the election. Via electoral-vote.com, comparing this year to 2016 in key states. Our blinders were on in 2016.

View attachment 508608
A statistical model is only as good as it is designed to be. 2016 models assumed too few caucasians without a college degree would vote. Models have been adjusted.
Pretty colors

lazyboy97o

View attachment 508608
Balderdash! This is the year the Whigs make their triumphant return to political power!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom