What's Still On and What's Now Off

techgeek

I’m not even sure parades and fireworks will come back.

Work is still being done on harmonious, but that doesnt mean it’s operational budget hasn’t changed (pyro $$$).

The marketing message of fireworks over the castle is pretty valuable.

The marketing message of fireworks over the Chinese Theater? Not so much. So yes I agree some things, even nighttime spectaculars without a motivation, might not ever return

TrainsOfDisney

The marketing message of fireworks over the castle is pretty valuable.

The marketing message of fireworks over the Chinese Theater? Not so much. So yes I agree some things, even nighttime spectaculars without a motivation, might not ever return
There are fireworks over the castle in once upon a time.

It will be interesting to see what really returns and what doesn’t.

Jrb1979

To add to all this is what doesn't help at all is how few will send a message. They keep cutting things but many still go regardless. Maybe it's time the hardcores take their money to other parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To add to all this is what doesn't help at all is how few will send a message. They keep cutting things but many still go regardless. Maybe it's time the hardcores take their money to other parks.
I’ll wait until they actually cut all of those things to react (overreact?). I mean I get being negative or down on things right now, but if Disney decides to cut all parades, fireworks and entertainment from their parks I would assume they will see a huge drop off in attendance. Disney is pretty good at making money and I think they realize this. They are looking to make money not punish people.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ll wait until they actually cut all of those things to react (overreact?). I mean I get being negative or down on things right now, but if Disney decides to cut all parades, fireworks and entertainment from their parks I would assume they will see a huge drop off in attendance. Disney is pretty good at making money and I think they realize this. They are looking to make money not punish people.
What drop of attendance was seen when WDW went from 4 daily parades to 1?

And at the same time Disneyland went from 3 daily parades to 1.

Magic Feather

I wouldn’t be surprised to see character dining stay as it is currently(when a vaccine is available/restrictions are lifted).
Characters visit the restaurant and not tables.
Agreed. Only thing I could see changing is putting the token meet and greet character back at the beginning of the meal. Maybe encouraging kids to interact with the characters in their parade like they did at Crystal Palace. Beyond that, GSATs for modified character dining is surprisingly high.

bcoachable

Along the “what’s coming back?” Discussion lines- I am wondering if Imagineering will be back as we knew it. There are Many top level design firms capable of sending bids to instead of designing from in house... seems like if we are getting out the butcher knife, this historical area of the Disney parks might be hit extremely hard. Thoughts?

techgeek

Maybe encouraging kids to interact with the characters in their parade like they did at Crystal Palace. Beyond that, GSATs for modified character dining is surprisingly high.

That’s interesting. I wonder if in those GSATs they’ve stumbled upon something I’ve long suspected, that a significant portion of the audience is uncomfortable with one-on-one character interactions. Could be that observing at arms length rather then taking part appeals to a wider range. Also eliminates any perceived favoritism / spending too long with any one guest.

TrainsOfDisney

Along the “what’s coming back?” Discussion lines- I am wondering if Imagineering will be back as we knew it. There are Many top level design firms capable of sending bids to instead of designing from in house... seems like if we are getting out the butcher knife, this historical area of the Disney parks might be hit extremely hard. Thoughts?
The problem is, the people who really get it and are promoted have usually been there a long time. Joe, Tony, and Kevin all started out at pretty basic and low levels. If you don’t have people starting and learning from the past, then before too long it’s just a bunch of corporate people running the show at imagineering. Which in a way it already is.

Magic Feather

WDI's lucrative contract work for OLC alone justifies its existence.

Animaniac93-98

Agreed. Only thing I could see changing is putting the token meet and greet character back at the beginning of the meal. Maybe encouraging kids to interact with the characters in their parade like they did at Crystal Palace. Beyond that, GSATs for modified character dining is surprisingly high.

I think people are happy to have it in some form, but if given the choice* they would prefer the characters to visit their table.

*choice not available on survey

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
See what happened to WED after December 1982.

bcoachable

See what happened to WED after December 1982.
Respect your info- and would love to do so! Can you help point me to where I can best find information?
Edit: this is all I could find in a quick search...
1A9ECEE4-202D-4D1E-BB3E-BC4BB25EA6A6.jpeg
1A9ECEE4-202D-4D1E-BB3E-BC4BB25EA6A6.jpeg

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

In short most of the workers on EPCOT Center were laid off after the park was opened. Five years later the division was enjoying a renaissance albeit with new management.
According to Raffertys book there were 3,000 at imagineering in 1983. He was one of the ones laid off but fortunately found his way back.

UNCgolf

That’s interesting. I wonder if in those GSATs they’ve stumbled upon something I’ve long suspected, that a significant portion of the audience is uncomfortable with one-on-one character interactions. Could be that observing at arms length rather then taking part appeals to a wider range. Also eliminates any perceived favoritism / spending too long with any one guest.

I'm not sure how big of a deal this is, because I think most people who are uncomfortable with one-on-one interactions aren't going to meet and greets or character dining. If it's a parent who's uncomfortable, it probably doesn't matter because their kid likely loves it and that's almost certainly why they are doing the activity.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm not sure how big of a deal this is, because I think most people who are uncomfortable with one-on-one interactions aren't going to meet and greets or character dining. If it's a parent who's uncomfortable, it probably doesn't matter because their kid likely loves it and that's why almost certainly why they are doing the activity.
Agreed. The people booking character meals (and paying the $$$) want the character interaction.

bcoachable

In short most of the workers on EPCOT Center were laid off after the park was opened. Five years later the division was enjoying a renaissance albeit with new management.
Ok- yea- got ya! This is somewhat of a normal cycle for this profession, however, right? For instance, when Toy Story Land completes construction, many are sent packing- waiting for (let’s say) Universal to pick them up as their new park (would have) picked up pace?
Marni- what I’m alluding to is a Wholesale change in buisness model that would allow outside firms to “Dream it up” when a high up the CEO chain makes the call to build the next (let’s just say) Indiana Jones Land at Animal Kingdom- instead of going to what has been Imagineering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom