Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

Tuvalu

Premium Member
It's real and not a tall tale. Fellow guests have commented when the decorators show up it is an event for the lucky ones that are staying in the hotel. Some want to fall asleep and wake up to the magic. Some want to stay up all night and see the magic brought to life in front of their eyes.
Fair enough. But in order to decorate safely large areas of the lobby must be cordoned off to guests. I have been there when the chandeliers are being repaired and the safety circle for lifts (also used to decorate tree) takes up a great deal of room. Furniture is removed. Decorations must be laid out. At best guests may observe from a distance.

The cozy picture of pajama-clad guests in armchairs sipping coffee watching magic happen...in the lobby itself...is what I question. For logistical and safety reasons.

Now guests observing from the overlooks on various floors is a different story. 😉

peter11435

This sounds like a tall tale as the decoration date varies and is not given to the general public.

As someone who has been there during decorating season, it is much more magical to go to sleep one night and awaken the next morning to a fully decorated Lodge. :happy:
Some guests do it. Becoming a tradition for some. It’s been well documented via twitter the last couple years too. The date is not publicly advertised but it can be acquired if you know where to look and who to talk to. Obviously you do have to watch from a distance.

Lilofan

Some guests do it. Becoming a tradition for some. It’s been well documented via twitter the last couple years too. The date is not publicly advertised but it can be acquired if you know where to look and who to talk to. Obviously you do have to watch from a distance.
For some it's not their cup of tea, but for the ones who witness the transformation of the WL lobby it's a good story to share with some.

Wow, just caught up on past few days, amazing how fast convos deteriorate into political mask/no mask ugliness. Someday we'll learn about the "hidden collateral damage" to the divisiveness & shutdowns....longtime friendships shattered, suicides way up, increased substance/domestic abuse, a generation of children socially, physically, developmentally; and intellectually delayed/troubled, cancers, heart disease, metabolic/neurological damage, and other chronic diseases requiring intense management having progressed rapidly or unnecessarily to death; survivor guilt caused by isolating loved ones living in institutional settings, profound, unrecoverable losses to the longtime entrepreneurial class; disturbingly deep alterations to the social fabric -aaagh!! This is why I'm going to wdw for a week! I need a shot of the happiest place on earth, now!!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wow, just caught up on past few days, amazing how fast convos deteriorate into political mask/no mask ugliness. Someday we'll learn about the "hidden collateral damage" to the divisiveness & shutdowns....longtime friendships shattered, suicides way up, increased substance/domestic abuse, a generation of children socially, physically, developmentally; and intellectually delayed/troubled, cancers, heart disease, metabolic/neurological damage, and other chronic diseases requiring intense management having progressed rapidly or unnecessarily to death; survivor guilt caused by isolating loved ones living in institutional settings, profound, unrecoverable losses to the longtime entrepreneurial class; disturbingly deep alterations to the social fabric -aaagh!! This is why I'm going to wdw for a week! I need a shot of the happiest place on earth, now!!
Funny how you post to criticize that the conversation here deteriorated into off topic political back and forth but then proceed to make a politically slanted statement that’s equally off topic. It’s hard to focus on cuts in park hours and other reduced experiences without addressing the cause which is obviously Covid and the pandemic especially when changes to those hours and limitations are directly related to improvements in the situation on the ground at WDW.

Lilofan

Better mask up at Disney or you will be asked to leave! Have a good and safe time!

Where did I say I was against mask wearing? Or for not wearing? Since you didn't ask, we're completely FOR masks. N-95s, not the token bandannas or check-the-box gaiters/balaclavas. No problem! Nope, thought I was pretty clear but I'll try again--- it's the across-the-board closures/shutdowns& blind eye towards the future damage they're causing, we don't get. High-risk people should utilise protections. Not everyone is high risk. Cases don't equal hospitalizations or even illness. And it's also the tears in the social fabric such as that jumping-to-conclusions thing, above, that is sending us on our annual pilgrimage to Uncle Walt's gentle vision of what the world could be. Masks, gloves, booties, wipes, sanitizers, hopeful smiles, and all. Here endeth the...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Travel restrictions to/from Florida should be lift relatively soon looking at the numbers, likely this month.

Hopefully Florida will reach this in the next week or so, right now it is around 2350. A big number is about to roll off the weekly so if new positives test stay down this week it should meet the 2100 number. FL has already hit the <5% number, sitting at 3.75% for the 7 day average and 14 day at 4.17%. Tue/wed will be a big tell as that is when they tend to run a lot of data

I thought it would have been sooner but I think the numbers are right near a baseline for testing. I underestimated the number of positive tests in asymptomatic or non sick people that came from schools and unis. Now that schools, colleges have been back for a month or so and numbers still have stayed steady or even lowered a bit, unless there is a outbreak at a LTC facility or prison etc. I don't see the new positive test numbers raising or dropping significantly.

Hospitalizations have also hit a baseline it seems after dropping around 80%. So I don't think there will be much change there. However the fact the CLI continues to drop is a really good sign going forward. Good thing is the hospital resources/healthcare situation, which is why we are doing all this in the first place, is in a very good place.
Still thinking that FL will be off of the travel quarantine list by the end of October? I would say that seems highly unlikely now :(

Ldno

I just talked to a friend from South America who told me they have to do a covid test 4 Days before their flight back to their country. The thing is a lot of tourists don’t know this until they board their flight and end up missing it. I’m sure the increase in case will double this, because a lot of countries just recently opened up their borders.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
He meant October 2021, maybe? 🤷‍♂️
I think he was being sincere, and I actually admire his optimism, but the writing was on the wall that a removal of all restrictions in FL (specifically on things that caused a spike this summer) would result in higher cases. Unfortunately we can’t just wish this virus away or make it actually be true just by saying it repeatedly.:(

legwand77

I think he was being sincere, and I actually admire his optimism, but the writing was on the wall that a removal of all restrictions in FL (specifically on things that caused a spike this summer) would result in higher cases. Unfortunately we can’t just wish this virus away or make it actually be true just by saying it repeatedly.:(
Yes looking slim. I do think we have hit the floor with positive tests with the amount of testing that is being done, I doubt it will go much lower. did not take that into effect that testing has ramped up some much. The restrictions are really not based on the virus as much, other elements in play.

In Florida the number of active cases are on a steady decline as are deaths. C19 hospitalizations posted the lowest ever yesterday. Bottom line in Florida fewer people are getting sicker and less people dying while positive test are going up. This has all occurred when many people were saying that the loosing of all restrictions in Florida over (three weeks ago now) was going to cause just the opposite. Also same with schools being open, sports played etc etc and for that matter the parks being open.

Also not "wishing" the virus away, would if I could, just looking at the actual data, independent of predictions predicated on fear

ETA:

Also it appears the parks continue to get more crowded every week. Unless Disney does something about the lines and other other restrictions , hours etc. they are going to be in rough shape, because it is becoming an unpleasant experience. I have been to the park a few times since the reopen and enjoyed it but I won't return now until they make changes as it is not worth it at all right now, even as a AP holder.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes looking slim. I do think we have hit the floor with positive tests with the amount of testing that is being done, I doubt it will go much lower. did not take that into effect that testing has ramped up some much. The restrictions are really not based on the virus as much, other elements in play.

In Florida the number of active cases are on a steady decline as are deaths. C19 hospitalizations posted the lowest ever yesterday. Bottom line in Florida fewer people are getting sicker and less people dying while positive test are going up. This has all occurred when many people were saying that the loosing of all restrictions in Florida over (three weeks ago now) was going to cause just the opposite. Also same with schools being open, sports played etc etc and for that matter the parks being open.

Also not "wishing" the virus away, would if I could, just looking at the actual data, independent of predictions predicated on fear

ETA:

Also it appears the parks continue to get more crowded every week. Unless Disney does something about the lines and other other restrictions , hours etc. they are going to be in rough shape, because it is becoming an unpleasant experience. I have been to the park a few times since the reopen and enjoyed it but I won't return now until they make changes as it is not worth it at all right now, even as a AP holder.
I can’t follow your logic. Simple stats:
Last 7 days daily avg new cases 2,924 with a 4.5% positive
Previous 7 days daily avg cases 2,557 with a 4.0% positive
That’s an almost 15% increase in positives week over week. Overall testing was up 1.2% week over week. There’s no way to say increased positives is just due to more testing. The testing is relatively flat but cases are starting to rise again. The only explanation is more sick people overall. I see no evidence of cases on a steady decline. That was true back in August, but things have definitely changed and not for the better.

JoeCamel

I can’t follow your logic. Simple stats:
Last 7 days daily avg new cases 2,924 with a 4.5% positive
Previous 7 days daily avg cases 2,557 with a 4.0% positive
That’s an almost 15% increase in positives week over week. Overall testing was up 1.2% week over week. There’s no way to say increased positives is just due to more testing. The testing is relatively flat but cases are starting to rise again. The only explanation is more sick people overall. I see no evidence of cases on a steady decline. That was true back in August, but things have definitely changed and not for the better.
I couldn't get past the lowest C19 hospitalizations ever. Like lower than January?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It was unlikely months ago! Sorry, I just... It's not you, Goof. I'm just so tired. SO tired.
There was a period in August where it looked like the trend was improving greatly to the point I was optimistic that the positives could drop below 2,100 at some point but that was before all the restrictions were pulled. I’m not sure we will ever get there at this point without a vaccine. I think that’s the plan right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom