Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

MrPromey

And if the scanner malfunctions? Where's the backup?
If you're relying on bag checks to be effective actual security at stopping something seriously premeditated, I've got some sorry news for you.

There is a major loophole to the current bag check and metal detector process that I witness in droves on every single visit. While this system may be good at catching the low-intellect person who ignored the warnings about not trying to bring a firearm into the park on the tram ride in or the person with half a pound of weed that they think it's a good idea to walk in with, it would do almost nothing to stop anyone with serous plans because it's simply so easy with just a little bit of observation and thought, to see how to get past it.

I'm not going to get into details because nobody who hasn't already figured it out needs to be given any ideas but this new system, even if turned off and people only thinking it's working, is an improvement over what we've got today.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
People are forgetting that new hires or re-hires can happen as needed. When crowds come back and properties are re-opened, they will surely (re)hire more security workers.

The status of "permanent layoff" means that Disney no longer has any financial obligation to them, e.g., paying for the health insurance. (Tho, there is an exception for some of the union workers whose union has negotiated for their workers to be at the head of the line for any re-hires.)

Slpy3270

One of the things that really annoy me about the ESPN situation is that speculation of a spin-off/sale always follows layoff news.

This despite the fact that the unit's revenue has been remarkably stable despite the loss of subscribers.

It's as if they think ESPN would be able to be better off independent, even though the newspaper businesses separated from media conglomerates (i.e. Gannett, Tribune) shows this is NOT the case.

UNCgolf

One of the things that really annoy me about the ESPN situation is that speculation of a spin-off/sale always follows layoff news.

This despite the fact that the unit's revenue has been remarkably stable despite the loss of subscribers.

It's as if they think ESPN would be able to be better off independent, even though the newspaper businesses separated from media conglomerates (i.e. Gannett, Tribune) shows this is NOT the case.

There are indications that ESPN is still one of the most profitable parts of the entire Disney company (and may be the most profitable) even with the decline in cable subscribers. It's no longer an absolute money printing machine the way it was 15 years ago, but it still makes a ton of money.

Slpy3270

There are indications that ESPN is still one of the most profitable parts of the entire Disney company (and may be the most profitable) even with the decline in cable subscribers. It's no longer an absolute money printing machine the way it was 15 years ago, but it still makes a ton of money.
Which is what makes the calls to spin-off or sell ESPN (and to an extent ABC) all the more annoying and ridiculous. They consider the business a "loss" despite it still being one of the company's crown jewels.

sullyinMT

At least with Alamo at MCO, you do online check in at least 24 hours before arrival and print the slip at home. When you get to the airport you simply walk out to the garage pick a car in the class you paid for (keys are already in the car) and go to the exit gates. Show your license and credit card with your printed slip and you’re on your way. No kiosks, no desks.
I always rent a car in Orlando and I only use Alamo, simply for this reason.
National Emerald Aisle works in a similar fashion. It’s my go to business car for that reason.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yet to these guys its a failure because a) there's no plan to roll it out internationally and b) it doesn't have Disney+-level subscribers.
Indeed, these guys predicted years ago the whole Disney Company would be in the red by now because ESPN would just drag them under.*

*Of course, this was not taking into an account a pandemic.

Goofyernmost

Your mileage may vary but I have had terrible experiences with mears taxis. Very rude drivers and questionable “circuitous” routes.

I prefer Uber if I’m taking Amtrak or am not staying at a Disney resort.
Think about it for a minute. The magical prison bus is a free service designed to keep you onsite and captive. However, now that things have changed they started to add up the nightly parking fees at the resorts and decided that the bus was not only costing them, but it was stopping that very lucrative profit that has no overhead that hasn't already existed for years. That is thousands of dollars a day that they can make because most, or at least a lot, will rent cars and not rely on an untested shuttle. It is another cash grab and one that can easily predicted just as soon as the put the parking charge in affect. They can make more money by charging that then they can forcing people to stay onsite all the time. They are likely to stay onsite anyway. From what I have seen, from posts about it, people are petrified about the prospect of driving on the Florida Highways.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Think about it for a minute. The magical prison bus is a free service designed to keep you onsite and captive. However, now that things have changed they started to add up the nightly parking fees at the resorts and decided that the bus was not only costing them, but it was stopping that very lucrative profit that has no overhead that hasn't already existed for years. That is thousand of dollars a day that they can take it because most, or at least a lot, will rent cars and not rely on an untested shuttle. It is another cash grab and one that can easily predicted just as soon as the put the parking charge in affect. They can make more money by charging that then they can forcing people to stay onsite all the time. They are likely to stay onsite anyway. From what I have seen, from posts about it, people are petrified about the prospect of driving on the Florida Highways.
Did you quote me by mistake? I’m not sure what that has to do with my post that you quoted.

Goofyernmost

Did you quote me by mistake? I’m not sure what that has to do with my post that you quoted.
It might not have been exactly connected to your post, but I just used it as a jumping off point when talking about alternate transportation options. I do that sometime when there seems to be a need to add another dimension to the discussion. Mears is the magical express and the other options also include Mears but is it the same? And maybe it explains why just when they should be doing whatever they can to insure that people show up in droves, they seem to make that more and more difficult. However, I think they always have a fiscal reason for everything they do. And a Pandemic allows them to make multiple changes that can be blamed on the virus. The proof will be when the all clear is sounded. Then we see if they go back to the way it was. I'm betting they won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom