Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

Nothing about the Governor’s EO is a mandate. Actually for selfish reasons I don’t want them to change their capacity limitations. I’m going in mid-October and want fewer crowds. I freely admit this wish has nothing to do with COVID but want easier touring in the parks.
If they increase ride capacity it shouldn’t be an Issue.

Lilofan

Don’t think I said that. “No income tax. Sales tax is 7.5%”. That’s a fact. You said, “Superficial.” I have no idea what that is. Is it the Sales Tax? If so, it’s an opinion. Whatever. I agree we can move on.
Florida Sales tax depends on the FL county you live in or shop in. It ranges from 6%-8.5% which Brandon FL is at 8.5%. But no state income tax is a huge savings.

Polkadotdress

The State University System in florida will meet next week to begin outlining the process should furloughs be needed.

I want things to go back to as close to the old normal as soon as possible, but the decision to lift all restrictions is a huge gamble. If it fails, that man will never hold public office again.
And in other "crazy" news, the FL governor has also stated he's going to create a "bill of rights" for college students, which will prevent universities from expelling them for breaking Covid protocols. Says they are too "draconian".

Clearly, we will be going downhill fast.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And in other "crazy" news, the FL governor has also stated he's going to create a "bill of rights" for college students, which will prevent universities from expelling them for breaking Covid protocols. Says they are too "draconian".

That’s literally a license for stupidity and has a clear motive that we cannot discuss.

Sad. Really sad.

DisneyCane

Yeah, crazy because kids should get EXPELLED from college for attending a social gathering.

Ruin a kid's life because they might catch a virus and might spread it. Smdh.

natatomic

I could be wrong, but I don’t think going to phase 3 is going to make a huge difference since private businesses are still allowed to do what they want. Target, Publix, Walgreens, and many more still require masks nationwide. That won’t change by FL going to phase 3.

I live a few miles from Disney, and I eat at restaurants once or twice a week. I’ve yet to see any restaurants full or have waits (aside from the holiday weekends, but as a local, I stayed away then), even at half capacity. In fact, during lunch, my family has been the sole table in restaurants twice now (obviously some restaurants are more popular than others, which is a factor). If they’re barely filling half capacity now, I don’t expect the demand to suddenly increase just because they CAN increase capacity. Many friends of mine still refuse to eat in restaurants. They continue ordering out, and I’m sure that will stay the same for those that prefer that method.
Same with store capacity. I remember having to wait in line for a couple at the beginning of lockdown, but since then, I haven’t waited in line for stores in months. So again, if stores arent reaching their limited capacity now, I don’t think much will change if capacity increases.

As for theme parks, sure, those could be the wild cards there. But I don’t see Disney being the first one to increase capacity here - look at how cautious they were with reopening. And I don’t think Universal is in a hurry yet to increase capacity any more either, though I could be wrong. But even so - do the theme parks reach capacity that often aside from holiday weekends? I honestly don’t know, so I could be way off base here, and please correct me if I’m wrong! But if they aren’t already turning thousands of people away daily because they’ve hit their capacity limit, would increasing capacity really make a significant difference? If the demand isn’t there as it is, i don’t think it will.

Anyway, I’m not saying I’m totally right here. There could be factors I’m forgetting about or just not considering that could blow my theory out of the water. But for the most part, I think there just isn’t a pent up demand for anything right now. People who want to go out are already going out. People who don’t are already staying home, and this isn’t going to convince them to change their minds.

DisneyCane

The article does not cite any cases of students actually being expelled.
But that is what the governor said he wants to avoid. There hasn't been an executive order yet but we have all these over reactions that everyone is going to die.

Even the executive order that was issued allows capacity restrictions. They just can't be lower than 50% and the economic impact and necessity must be explained. The way people talk about it is like all restaurants can now operate at 100% capacity. There is still a means for a county or local order, they just can't restrict below 50%.

DisneyYorkian74

The real sin here is the Governor’s continued persistence at downplaying the severity of the virus.

There are still over 100-200 people dying each day in the state, and the state government has not done anything of substance to show that they want to prevent even 1 COVID related death.

There can be a balance between re-opening further, while still advising people to be cautious, socially distance, and wear masks.

Advising tourists and residents about the state’s plan of testing and contact tracing program can also help build confidence that they actually care about the health and well being of people who live and visit.

Pretending as if COVID-19 doesn’t exist will only result in higher cases and death.

TaoBoxer

The real sin here is the Governor’s continued persistence at downplaying the severity of the virus.

There are still over 100-200 people dying each day in the state, and the state government has not done anything of substance to show that they want to prevent even 1 COVID related death.

There can be a balance between re-opening further, while still advising people to be cautious, socially distance, and wear masks.

Advising tourists and residents about the state’s plan of testing and contact tracing program can also help build confidence that they actually care about the health and well being of people who live and visit.

Pretending as if COVID-19 doesn’t exist will only result in higher cases and death.
Did you see the part about the 99% survival rate? I guess not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Florida Sales tax depends on the FL county you live in or shop in. It ranges from 6%-8.5% which Brandon FL is at 8.5%. But no state income tax is a huge savings.
The revenue coming in from additional tourism tax is also huge. Regular sales tax plus hotel or rental car tax. I you stay at WDW you pay the regular Orange County 6.5% sales tax plus a 6% resort tax or 12.5%. I believe only the All Stars are in Osceola county which is 7% plus the 6% resort tax or 13% total. That’s a lot of extra tax dollars not coming into the state with all those empty hotel rooms.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

This is the whole thing...as it relates to Disney. If we’re still interested in Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom