Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No politics from me, as I have no US vote. Just a general comment that any sensible person would make looking at the situation in Florida.
Come on Steve. That was entirely political. A direct shot at a state governor and saying if your sensible, we should agree?And you want us to follow the rules? Am I allowed
to now call out the New York governor and NYC mayor for their ineptness that led to the death of many of their own citizens?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another poor decision from a very inept governor.
You mean this gem?

No politics from me, as I have no US vote. Just a general comment that any sensible person would make looking at the situation in Florida.
...game, set AND match

It’s shocking to me still that we (the US) can’t look at anything objectively and come to a common sense assessment...

...thankfully we still have you Brits - who have always been better at assessing US Actions more than Americans 👍🏻

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Come on Steve. That was entirely political. A direct shot at a state governor and saying if your sensible, we should agree?And you want us to follow the rules? Am I allowed
to now call out the New York governor and NYC mayor for their ineptness that led to the death of many of their own citizens?
Well after being here for 25 years and making the rules and wading through thousands of posts a day moderating I think occasionally I am allowed to say something. Anyway, this isn't about me. Back to the subject at hand.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...as has been months of celebrating wanton failure through lack of appropriate action with strawmen, red herring and outright lies.

...I mean here - not the politicians. Still waiting for Cane to write his book on how Florida outsmarted this and for X to liberate his golf course 😎

Not gonna win here...as has been the case since March.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It’s shocking to me still that we (the US) can’t look at anything objectively and come to a common sense assessment...
Yes its actually fascinating, but sad to see. Thankfully in the UK, politics is not part of dealing with COVID, and no matter which side you are on, it is all about getting the country through it. In the U.S.A., for many in power, it all seems political and making statements by action, or inaction. It is a sad sight to see the world's super power not being able to work together with its own people and make a difference for the better.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So are we supposed to stay in Phase 1 or 2 forever? If there is data on the phases, and the data has met the metrics for Phase 3, is he supposed to ignore it? Are we supposed to stay in fear forever? I mean a poster is “terrified”. Has it really come to this?
What data? What has changed today that was different yesterday or a week ago or 2 weeks? We see the daily updates on cases and I don’t see a major positive change. If anything there was a plateau and slight uptick now. It’s fine for the governor to decide to do this, it’s his prerogative, but it’s disingenuous to say it was done based on any data or metrics. In his press conference he basically said that he was using the anecdotal evidence that Miami restricted restaurants and still had Covid cases anyway so restricting restaurants doesn’t work.

IMHO you stay in phase 2 until the data and metrics say that it’s safe to move to phase 3. That’s not what happened here.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
...as has been months of celebrating wanton failure through lack of appropriate action with strawmen, red herring and outright lies.

...I mean here - not the politicians. Still waiting for Cane to write his book on how Florida outsmarted this and for X to liberate his golf course 😎

Not gonna win here...as has been the case since March.
Give me a break buddy. For the last 6 months you have made it your mission to bash Americans at every opportunity. We get it. You hate us. You look down your nose at the rest of us. Call everyone selfish and arrogant. Continuous backhand political comments because you have no self control. And before the virus, your mission was to bash everyone who said anything positive about Disney. Same thing. Different topic. It is who you have been since you joined. God help you if you actually act this way outside of this environment.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes its actually fascinating, but sad to see. Thankfully in the UK, politics is not part of dealing with COVID, and no matter which side you are on, it is all about getting the country through it. In the U.S.A., for many in power, it all seems political and making statements by action, or inaction. It is a sad sight to see the world's super power not being able to work together with its own people and make a difference for the better.
It’s people with the attitude of Sirrunshismouth that causes us the most issues in the US. And it’s sad that you and many others cannot see it. Have a good one.

techgeek

Okay. See my last post. Metrics were established for Phase 3. The state met them. Just when is it acceptable then? He could reopen a year from now and it still wouldn’t be acceptable for some.

These are the ‘metrics’ provided for phase 3 by the state:

1B3BFF8A-5C6F-445A-8BEA-13D297AF4F88.jpeg

I’m honestly at a loss as to how ‘downward trajectory’ is interpreted from the current state reported numbers. The Governor clearly has a different definition of ‘downward’ then I do, or is cherry picking the dates to consider that basis (obviously, the trend is downward relative to April!) The goalposts continue to move.

A lot of people just want the state to follow what seems to be reasonably established CDC guidelines. A lot more people just want the state to follow their own guidelines. If they did that, I would be in the ‘acceptable’ camp. This is not that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If Disney opens a park in NYC and Cuomo does something that negatively impacts it I’d say it’s fair game. I’m critical of the CA governor now for not allowing DLR to re-open. It’s not because of my politics it’s because I disagree with his policy. For me it’s not about political back and forth as I had no vote in either FL or CA so I have no horse in either race.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Perhaps there would have been more cooperation if the US jailed people who didn’t comply with government decree.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
These are the ‘metrics’ provided for phase 3 by the state:

View attachment 500482

I’m honestly at a loss as to how ‘downward trajectory’ is interpreted from the current state reported numbers. The Governor clearly has a different definition of ‘downward’ then I do, or is cherry picking the dates to consider that basis (obviously, the trend is downward relative to April!) The goalposts continue to move.

A lot of people just want the state to follow what seems to be reasonably established CDC guidelines. A lot more people just want the state to follow their own guidelines. If they did that, I would be in the ‘acceptable’ camp. This is not that.
I’m pretty sure he just moved the goal posts. I haven’t seen anywhere that the governor actually said they met some specific metric to move to phase 3. His focus was solely on businesses having the right to be open and workers having the right to work. He also said he felt the restrictions implemented so far were ineffective so he was lifting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom