News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I'm with you, I am a huge Star Wars fan but the roll playing aspects of this don't appeal to me. On the other hand I would love to stay at a Star Wars themed hotel.
Maybe they won't "make" all guests actively participate in role playing if they don't want to? 🤷‍♀️

There's still many details about this experience that we don't know yet.

_caleb

Maybe they won't "make" all guests actively participate in role playing if they don't want to? 🤷‍♀️

There's still many details about this experience that we don't know yet.
[WHISPERING] "Blink once if you're here against your will..."
Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 7.50.54 PM.png

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
[WHISPERING] "Blink once if you're here against your will..."
View attachment 499374
I know, right? People will have time to decide if this is something that appeals to them. I don't see myself wearing a full SW costume or trying to speak Shyriiwook at all times 😄, but it'd be fun to participate in some of the activities.

After all, this is something geared to a specific demographic: Star Wars fans willing to invest their time and (good) money into something more special than a regular hotel stay.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, but there probably won't be a lot of value in it if you don't participate.

And if you're bored and want to go elsewhere... there will be no Disney transportation to take you from Halcyon to anywhere. Your own car won't be nearby, either. You'll have to Uber/Lyft/Minnie your way in and out (and 'ride' the simulated spaceship to planet transport in the lobby each way in and out).

ImperfectPixie

And if you're bored and want to go elsewhere... there will be no Disney transportation to take you from Halcyon to anywhere. Your own car won't be nearby, either. You'll have to Uber/Lyft/Minnie your way in and out (and 'ride' the simulated spaceship to planet transport in the lobby each way in and out).
That sounds like it's begging for mountains of complaints from the get-go.

mmascari

It's definitely a marketing topic. However, there's a reason it's called a Star Cruiser and not a Hotel or Resort. Once it's ready, I'm sure all the marketing will continue to refer to things using the same language as DCL. From shore excursions to cabins, sailings, and embarkation days.

That's the context to think of this. It's a cruise and will function similar to how a typical cruise functions. A themed immersive cruise that isn't actually on the water, but still it's a cruise. In fact, it's a cruise in space. :cool:

ImperfectPixie

It's definitely a marketing topic. However, there's a reason it's called a Star Cruiser and not a Hotel or Resort. Once it's ready, I'm sure all the marketing will continue to refer to things using the same language as DCL. From shore excursions to cabins, sailings, and embarkation days.

That's the context to think of this. It's a cruise and will function similar to how a typical cruise functions. A themed immersive cruise that isn't actually on the water, but still it's a cruise. In fact, it's a cruise in space. :cool:
That's great and all, but it's on land, and if people aren't able to easily get to their cars or get transportation to someplace else, I think they're going to have big problems.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I'm sure the sign up for this is going to have a lot of warning screens you have to check thru, if not having to call to reserve and a CM running thru all the caveats.

Thank-you for your interest in staying aboard the Halcyon! Before we schedule a stay, I have some details of the event to go over with you:

The Halcyon is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that there will be no transportation provided to you or your party from the hotel to any other destination in Walt Disney World or outside of Walt Disney World during your stay?

You mean I can't go to the Magic Kingdom if I wanted?​

The expectation is that you're signing up for two days of Star Wars role-playing and events and you will not leave that experience for any other destination. No one will force you to stay in the hotel, but if you chose to leave, you will have to call a transportation service to leave and return at your own expense.

I thought this was just a Disney hotel?​

It is not. It is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that there will be no transportation provided to you or your party from the hotel to any other destination in Walt Disney World or outside of Walt Disney World during your stay?

OK, I guess I do now.​

Do you understand the experience includes Cast Members taking on the roles of people who inhabit the Star Wars universe and they will act in character as such for the entirety of your stay, including meals and all the events that will be available to all guests during your stay?

They're going to pretend they're Star Wars characters?​

Yes. This is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that the experience includes Cast Members taking on the roles of people who inhabit the Star Wars universe and they will act in character as such for the entirety of your stay, including meals and all the events that will be available to all guests during your stay?

OK, I do now.​

Do you understand that the experience greatly encourages all guests to also take on the role as if they were living in the Star Wars universe including dressing-up as such, if you wish, and participating in all group activities as such?

You mean I gotta pretend, too?​

No, you don't, but we're encouraging you to, and hoping you'll find it a fun experience for you and your party. So, do you understand that the experience greatly encourages all guests to also take on the role as if they were living in the Star Wars universe including dressing-up as such, if you wish, and participating in all group activities as such?

OK, I do now. At least if I don't like it, I can spend the entire time by the pool.​

There is no pool.

Ya know... this isn't for me, thank-you for your time.​

Sorry to hear that, is there anything else I can help you with today?

No.​

Have a magical day.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I'm sure the sign up for this is going to have a lot of warning screens you have to check thru, if not having to call to reserve and a CM running thru all the caveats.

Thank-you for your interest in staying aboard the Halcyon! Before we schedule a stay, I have some details of the event to go over with you:

The Halcyon is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that there will be no transportation provided to you or your party from the hotel to any other destination in Walt Disney World or outside of Walt Disney World during your stay?

The expectation is that you're signing up for two days of Star Wars role-playing and events and you will not leave that experience for any other destination. No one will force you to stay in the hotel, but if you chose to leave, you will have to call a transportation service to leave and return at your own expense.

It is not. It is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that there will be no transportation provided to you or your party from the hotel to any other destination in Walt Disney World or outside of Walt Disney World during your stay?

OK, I guess I do now.​

Do you understand the experience includes Cast Members taking on the roles of people who inhabit the Star Wars universe and they will act in character as such for the entirety of your stay, including meals and all the events that will be available to all guests during your stay?

Yes. This is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that the experience includes Cast Members taking on the roles of people who inhabit the Star Wars universe and they will act in character as such for the entirety of your stay, including meals and all the events that will be available to all guests during your stay?

OK, I do now.​

Do you understand that the experience greatly encourages all guests to also take on the role as if they were living in the Star Wars universe including dressing-up as such, if you wish, and participating in all group activities as such?

No, you don't, but we're encouraging you to, and hoping you'll find it a fun experience for you and your party. So, do you understand that the experience greatly encourages all guests to also take on the role as if they were living in the Star Wars universe including dressing-up as such, if you wish, and participating in all group activities as such?

OK, I do now. At least if I don't like it, I can spend the entire time by the pool.​

There is no pool.

No.​

Have a magic day.
I absolutely get that. But let's not forget that some Disney guests bring with them an attitude that makes the word "entitlement" seem inadequate, and that even when warned by multiple people that they need to plan Thanksgiving and Christmas trips way ahead of time with FPs, ressies, etc...they STILL don't. And they complain (very loudly) afterwards.

mmascari

That's great and all, but it's on land, and if people aren't able to easily get to their cars or get transportation to someplace else, I think they're going to have big problems.
It's definitely a marketing problem they'll need to overcome.

I'm sure it'll have valet parking, and you'll be able to get your car back from the valet. The point is, people aren't going to want to do that, at least not with any regularity.

Likewise, it clearly has a ground transportation to SW:GE, themed and presented as a ship to ground tender (just like a cruise ship tender when in port but not at a dock). It's more general transportation that the plans don't show a normal bus stop. This is another marketing problem not a functional one.

From what we can tell, they're going to sell a complete package of activities for an entire two day adventure. It's not that people cannot go do something else, it's that they will not want to. At least it would be a financially strange decision to pay for a Star Cruiser experience and then not attend it and go somewhere else instead. Just like people don't typically pay to see show and then plan to leave for half of it.

The fact that it is on land and not really in space does present a large marketing hurdle. Which is why I'm betting they use all DCL terms and we'll NEVER see it called a Hotel or Resort in any Disney communication.

I'll even bet the sell it like a DCL trip with a WDW trip on either or both ends as a complete package. Where they sell park tickets that don't include all the cruise days, just the one that overlaps. For the exact same reasons they don't include park tickets for the DCL sailing days.

ImperfectPixie

It's definitely a marketing problem they'll need to overcome.

I'm sure it'll have valet parking, and you'll be able to get your car back from the valet. The point is, people aren't going to want to do that, at least not with any regularity.

Likewise, it clearly has a ground transportation to SW:GE, themed and presented as a ship to ground tender (just like a cruise ship tender when in port but not at a dock). It's more general transportation that the plans don't show a normal bus stop. This is another marketing problem not a functional one.

From what we can tell, they're going to sell a complete package of activities for an entire two day adventure. It's not that people cannot go do something else, it's that they will not want to. At least it would be a financially strange decision to pay for a Star Cruiser experience and then not attend it and go somewhere else instead. Just like people don't typically pay to see show and then plan to leave for half of it.

The fact that it is on land and not really in space does present a large marketing hurdle. Which is why I'm betting they use all DCL terms and we'll NEVER see it called a Hotel or Resort in any Disney communication.

I'll even bet the sell it like a DCL trip with a WDW trip on either or both ends as a complete package. Where they sell park tickets that don't include all the cruise days, just the one that overlaps. For the exact same reasons they don't include park tickets for the DCL sailing days.
See my above comment - that's where my concern lies...as we all know that there are extremely spoiled people who will insist on experiencing this and will raise bloody hell if they aren't able to do whatever they want, when they want to...regardless of how it affects anyone else's experience.

GimpYancIent

OK, I guess I do now.​

OK, I do now.​

There is no pool.

No.​

Have a magic day.
I like this post! I am sure the Disney legal department has developed waivers for guests to sign in advance of committing to an experience on board the Halycon.

kingdead

The problem is that most people, when they imagine themselves "in Star Wars," imagine themselves as a Jedi having heroic adventures or maybe as an evil Sith or a bounty hunter. Disney had attractions that fit this fantasy, like Star Tours, or the attraction where kids could get "lightsabers" and get Jedi training for a half hour. That's probably the perfect amount of time for most people to live out that fantasy. Anything past that and you're just doing regular stuff in a Jedi costume. Nobody imagines themselves having buffet breakfast as a Jedi or getting a Sith mani/pedi or going to the Sy Snootles dinner show (which realistically are the kind of experiences available in a hotel). You thought you were going to soar through the universe with Han Solo, instead you're assigned to the dinner table with the Death Sticks guy again? Ugh.

I'm just not sure if there are enough people who are THAT interested in 24/7 cosplay to make this a going concern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom