New Fast Pass System idea

mergatroid

Old Fastpass pretty much did that. The first return time was one hour after opening.

Actually with the fastpass machines at the attractions this wasn't true. I clearly remember hitting Space Mountain first on a 9am rope drop day and fastpass machines showing 9:10-10:10 return times. I'd go on it then using the 5 min standby whilst my wife who didn't ride it got 2 fastpasses using our tickets. She'd give me these at the exit allowing me to ride it 3 times in less than half an hour on a number of occasions.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The thing about FP is that I think it's equally about the data for Disney as it is about the ride.

Think about it. Disney knows exactly where you're going to be within a one hour time frame - in some cases up to 60 days in advance. They also know your preferences in rides, lands, etc. That data is very valuable to them and as technology evolves and target marketing evolves - it becomes ever more valuable. I think before Disney ever thinks about getting rid of FP altogether (if they ever do) they need to ensure that they can still obtain that type of data. Just my 2¢.

Pepper's Ghost

I don’t even know what Great America is. I’m not comparing that to anything. I’m comparing WDW to DL. Max pass is Not good for the out of state guests which are the bread and butter/moneymaker. Resort guests don’t want to get up at park opening and want assurances they can get on the most popular rides. Disney would be out of business without them. They rely on to them fill their hotels, eat their food, buy their tickets and merch.

Why do people make the argument that out of town guests will only go to Disney hotels if the FP+ system is available. This is a completely flawed assumption. There are so many reasons why this isn't true, but here are a few off the top:
  • Not sure how getting rid of FP+ has anything to do with guests eating their food, or buying their tickets or merch. I'm pretty sure these are mutually exclusive events, so it doesn't further your point at all. Disney was doing great before FP+... it's gonna do great after it's hopeful demise.
  • FP+ wasn't in existence a little over a decade ago, yet Disney hotels were doing just fine or even thriving. Another hole in your argument.
  • Disney hotels provide convenient transportation to the parks for "free". If you use their shuttles from the airport, and to/fro parks, you save a lot of money on parking. (At least you did the last time I visited)
  • Off-site hotels don't provide the same experience as Disney hotels. If you're looking to go on the cheap, you won't stay at a Disney hotel anyway. If money isn't an issue, then you're going to stay at a Disney resort for the convenience.
  • FP+ system doesn't give "assurances" that you can "get on most popular rides". First come first serve for FP+, right? From what I've been hearing if you're not in the system the minute your 60-day clock starts, you've got no chance at the popular rides. Even if you do, I hear it's really tough.
For the record, the FP+ system has been a detractor for me personally. I really don't like painfully detailed homework assignments for my vacations, and needing to plan out every second of every day months in advance sucks. It also takes all of the fun out of a vacation to stay on your planned schedule, or miss out. If you don't plan ahead, you miss out on the best rides, or you have to wait in obscene lines just to ride a ride. For that reason, Disney has not been a vacation destination for me for a long, long time. My last visit was a 1-day visit to MK because I happened to be in the area for work, and it sucked. I haven't wanted to do it since. In the early 2000s, I vacationed on site for 7+ days 5 times. Since FP+... ZERO times.

MikeyK72

Why do people make the argument that out of town guests will only go to Disney hotels if the FP+ system is available. This is a completely flawed assumption. There are so many reasons why this isn't true, but here are a few off the top:
  • Not sure how getting rid of FP+ has anything to do with guests eating their food, or buying their tickets or merch. I'm pretty sure these are mutually exclusive events, so it doesn't further your point at all. Disney was doing great before FP+... it's gonna do great after it's hopeful demise.
  • FP+ wasn't in existence a little over a decade ago, yet Disney hotels were doing just fine or even thriving. Another hole in your argument.
  • Disney hotels provide convenient transportation to the parks for "free". If you use their shuttles from the airport, and to/fro parks, you save a lot of money on parking. (At least you did the last time I visited)
  • Off-site hotels don't provide the same experience as Disney hotels. If you're looking to go on the cheap, you won't stay at a Disney hotel anyway. If money isn't an issue, then you're going to stay at a Disney resort for the convenience.
  • FP+ system doesn't give "assurances" that you can "get on most popular rides". First come first serve for FP+, right? From what I've been hearing if you're not in the system the minute your 60-day clock starts, you've got no chance at the popular rides. Even if you do, I hear it's really tough.
For the record, the FP+ system has been a detractor for me personally. I really don't like painfully detailed homework assignments for my vacations, and needing to plan out every second of every day months in advance sucks. It also takes all of the fun out of a vacation to stay on your planned schedule, or miss out. If you don't plan ahead, you miss out on the best rides, or you have to wait in obscene lines just to ride a ride. For that reason, Disney has not been a vacation destination for me for a long, long time. My last visit was a 1-day visit to MK because I happened to be in the area for work, and it sucked. I haven't wanted to do it since. In the early 2000s, I vacationed on site for 7+ days 5 times. Since FP+... ZERO times.
I agree that FP+ has taken the spontaneous fun out of a Disney vacation and has forced us to be on a set schedule during what is supposed to be a vacation. DW and I are DVC members and visit a few times per year. We pretty much are forced to play along with the FP+ scheduling game...but do not like it...we'd be happy with zero FP+ and all stand-by lines.

No FP+ would bring back some spontaneity (but we'd still be on a dining schedule as reservations are a must for the best restaurants).

Chi84

Premium Member
FP+ system doesn't give "assurances" that you can "get on most popular rides". First come first serve for FP+, right? From what I've been hearing if you're not in the system the minute your 60-day clock starts, you've got no chance at the popular rides. Even if you do, I hear it's really tough.
We visit WDW two or three times a year and have never found this to be the case. In fact, one October we decided to do a quick turn-around trip in November and I was able to get FOP, SDD, and every other ride we wanted. I did check every morning, though, and one day the week before our trip several FOP fastpasses became available. We also got every dining reservation we wanted, including Cali Grill brunch (used TP reservation finder). I didn't see my efforts as a major inconvenience, and we went to WDW knowing that we could do everything we wanted without having to stand in long lines.

Maybe what you said seems true because people are more likely to post when they are frustrated that they can't get a ride they want. Or it could be that they're going at the most crowded times, but then everything will be more difficult.

A person's attitudes about planning and FP+ depend greatly on what kind of vacation you prefer. When we first started visiting WDW in 1984, we skipped many of the headliners because we didn't want to wait in long lines. Legacy FastPass made things better, and the current system works best for us. But I can see that the pendulum has swung completely to favoring people who like to plan their vacations well in advance. Even though FP+ works great for us, I would understand if Disney replaced it with a system more conducive to those who want to be spontaneous. I hope they do keep some type of ride reservation system, though, even if it's a paid one.

NelleBelle

We visit WDW two or three times a year and have never found this to be the case. In fact, one October we decided to do a quick turn-around trip in November and I was able to get FOP, SDD, and every other ride we wanted. I did check every morning, though, and one day the week before our trip several FOP fastpasses became available. We also got every dining reservation we wanted, including Cali Grill brunch (used TP reservation finder). I didn't see my efforts as a major inconvenience, and we went to WDW knowing that we could do everything we wanted without having to stand in long lines.

Maybe what you said seems true because people are more likely to post when they are frustrated that they can't get a ride they want. Or it could be that they're going at the most crowded times, but then everything will be more difficult.

A person's attitudes about planning and FP+ depend greatly on what kind of vacation you prefer. When we first started visiting WDW in 1984, we skipped many of the headliners because we didn't want to wait in long lines. Legacy FastPass made things better, and the current system works best for us. But I can see that the pendulum has swung completely to favoring people who like to plan their vacations well in advance. Even though FP+ works great for us, I would understand if Disney replaced it with a system more conducive to those who want to be spontaneous. I hope they do keep some type of ride reservation system, though, even if it's a paid one.
We had a similar experience last time we went (early June 2018). We had FP+ for primarily late mornings and then would hop to another park with any other FP that we wanted (or head to a water park/back to hotel to swim). We tried to make it spontaneous by only booking a couple of table services that we really wanted and the. Getting whatever was available (Counter v table service). We often found FoP available for our party of 6. Lines were manageable for standby. Do I prefer FP+? Not when comparing it to DL’s MaxPass but I find I can do a good mix of some planning and spontaneity. I’ve always been able to manage getting all the rides I want, whether we are staying on or off-property. I admit I miss the days of no FP but sadly, I think those days are long gone.

Pepper's Ghost

I did check every morning, though, and one day the week before our trip several FOP fastpasses became available.

I understand people can get lucky, but you're kind of making my point. You had to check FP+ every morning up to the week before your trip to finally get lucky. Granted, this is just my opinion, but I don't feel that a vacation is fun when you have to plan and hope to win the FP lottery in order to ride a frickin' ride. You're doing a Disney homework assignment for days, weeks, or even months before your visit. It's a vacation. You're not studying for the SATs.

Why not just go back to standby lines where everyone is treated the same whether they're a local with a last minute desire to visit, or someone on a week-long. It's a well known fact that the FP queue slows the standby queue considerably, probably by 4 to 5 times conservatively. If there isn't a FP queue, the standby queue FLIES! What is now a 2 hr wait turns into 25 to 30 mins. I'd rather be spontaneous and spend 25 mins in line for a ride on the long end, than to have to watch a d@mn FP website in hopes of winning the lottery, or wait in a 2 hr line if I really want to ride it. That's the problem with society these days. Everyone is starting at their frickin' phones when we should be experiencing life, talking to each other while in line, enjoying the weather.... nope, keep refreshing the app like a lab rat trying to get a pellet.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I understand people can get lucky, but you're kind of making my point. You had to check FP+ every morning up to the week before your trip to finally get lucky. Granted, this is just my opinion, but I don't feel that a vacation is fun when you have to plan and hope to win the FP lottery in order to ride a frickin' ride. You're doing a Disney homework assignment for days, weeks, or even months before your visit. It's a vacation. You're not studying for the SATs.

Why not just go back to standby lines where everyone is treated the same whether they're a local with a last minute desire to visit, or someone on a week-long. It's a well known fact that the FP queue slows the standby queue considerably, probably by 4 to 5 times conservatively. If there isn't a FP queue, the standby queue FLIES! What is now a 2 hr wait turns into 25 to 30 mins. I'd rather be spontaneous and spend 25 mins in line for a ride on the long end, than to have to watch a d@mn FP website in hopes of winning the lottery, or wait in a 2 hr line if I really want to ride it. That's the problem with society these days. Everyone is starting at their frickin' phones when we should be experiencing life, talking to each other while in line, enjoying the weather.... nope, keep refreshing the app like a lab rat trying to get a pellet.
Actually, my point was that the only vacation that I needed to do so much checking for was a quick turnaround trip with around 3 weeks to plan. That was in answer to someone who said you couldn’t even get FastPasses at the 60 day mark. Normally I book farther in advance and there’s no need to revisit my plans unless I want to.

You’re fine with waiting in a long line if you really want to ride something. I’m not fine with that. It’s less stressful for me to reserve everything in advance and just get on the rides with no wait. People are different - planning is not stressful to me, but not knowing whether I could ride a favorite attraction without standing in line or eat at a favorite restaurant would be stressful. I wouldn’t want to wait 30 minutes for most rides, no matter how fast the line moves.

I don’t do the refresh thing very much because we visit fairly often and don’t need to get on every ride or ride anything more than once.

My way of doing things isn’t very popular with the posters on this board. Most seem to want more spontaneity. Right now Disney seems to be more in tune with the way I vacation so I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts. If they change things, I’ll have to adjust. Won’t be the end of the world.

Pepper's Ghost

Actually, my point was that the only vacation that I needed to do so much checking for was a quick turnaround trip with around 3 weeks to plan. That was in answer to someone who said you couldn’t even get FastPasses at the 60 day mark. Normally I book farther in advance and there’s no need to revisit my plans unless I want to.

You’re fine with waiting in a long line if you really want to ride something. I’m not fine with that. It’s less stressful for me to reserve everything in advance and just get on the rides with no wait. People are different - planning is not stressful to me, but not knowing whether I could ride a favorite attraction without standing in line or eat at a favorite restaurant would be stressful. I wouldn’t want to wait 30 minutes for most rides, no matter how fast the line moves.

I don’t do the refresh thing very much because we visit fairly often and don’t need to get on every ride or ride anything more than once.

My way of doing things isn’t very popular with the posters on this board. Most seem to want more spontaneity. Right now Disney seems to be more in tune with the way I vacation so I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts. If they change things, I’ll have to adjust. Won’t be the end of the world.
I absolutely respect this response. It's not my preference, but I respect that you have different tastes and how you expressed it.

I'm more spontaneous on vacation short of one or two big plans, but I respect those who are enjoying the meticulous planning aspect of the FP+ system. I just prefer and miss the days of walking through Adventureland and saying "Hey! Pirates is just a 15 min wait! Let's go on before lunch instead!" :cool: I also like thinking that if we want to go to a particular park tomorrow instead of the one we planned, we can do that and not be a slave to the schedule because of FPs. I'm sure you understand the point even if you prefer a strict plan while on vacation.

Chi84

Premium Member
I absolutely respect this response. It's not my preference, but I respect that you have different tastes and how you expressed it.

I'm more spontaneous on vacation short of one or two big plans, but I respect those who are enjoying the meticulous planning aspect of the FP+ system. I just prefer and miss the days of walking through Adventureland and saying "Hey! Pirates is just a 15 min wait! Let's go on before lunch instead!" :cool: I also like thinking that if we want to go to a particular park tomorrow instead of the one we planned, we can do that and not be a slave to the schedule because of FPs. I'm sure you understand the point even if you prefer a strict plan while on vacation.
I do understand, and I appreciate your comments. It’s just that my kids were elementary school age in the early to mid 90’s and I remember the days before FastPasses. Newer and more popular rides were often 60 minute waits so we generally skipped them because we (we meaning my husband) didn’t want to wait. Maybe things would be different now - the parks have grown so much.

I generally have a plan for every day but there are many times we change parks last minute (or have evening FastPasses) and still have a great time riding the less popular rides, seeing shows, exploring the trails at AK, etc. We have no qualms about changing the plan. The only things we usually don’t change are dining reservations and top tier rides that we don’t want to miss. I don’t feel constrained by my plans at all - I just consider them a guarantee that I can do the things we want if we still want to do them.

I know the system is going to change in some way, but I do hope Disney keeps some sort of ride reservation system even if it’s a paid one. For us, standing in a 30-minute line is still an option, but I know many people my age who would struggle with that on top of all the other walking. FP+ makes things a little easier.

Stitch826

I don’t know where you got your numbers from, but I find it difficult to believe that on a busy pre-Covid summer day, you’d be able to get through a line without a FP in under 30 minutes. Especially for a major ride such as FOP, Space Mountain, Test Track, etc.

I personally like the FP+ system that was in place. I’d rather get three FP+ rides each day with almost no wait (plus any additional ones I can grab after using those up), than wait in line for EVERY ride without a FP.

UNCgolf

I do understand, and I appreciate your comments. It’s just that my kids were elementary school age in the early to mid 90’s and I remember the days before FastPasses. Newer and more popular rides were often 60 minute waits so we generally skipped them because we (we meaning my husband) didn’t want to wait. Maybe things would be different now - the parks have grown so much.

I generally have a plan for every day but there are many times we change parks last minute (or have evening FastPasses) and still have a great time riding the less popular rides, seeing shows, exploring the trails at AK, etc. We have no qualms about changing the plan. The only things we usually don’t change are dining reservations and top tier rides that we don’t want to miss. I don’t feel constrained by my plans at all - I just consider them a guarantee that I can do the things we want if we still want to do them.

I know the system is going to change in some way, but I do hope Disney keeps some sort of ride reservation system even if it’s a paid one. For us, standing in a 30-minute line is still an option, but I know many people my age who would struggle with that on top of all the other walking. FP+ makes things a little easier.

I don't mind the FP+ system (or at least I didn't before the tiers made it ridiculous at some parks) because there are a decent number of attractions I don't really care about riding. There are only a handful that are must-dos for me.

However, I'm surprised by your experience. The last two times I went to WDW, the only reason I was able to get FPs for every ride I wanted is because we were there long enough to have a long FP+ window and the flexibility to look at multiple days. For example, Flight of Passage was unavailable the second the 60 day window opened for the first 5 days of our trip, but I was able to get one on the 6th day. If it had just been a 4 or 5 day trip, it would have been impossible to ride Flight of Passage unless we were willing to wait 2-3 hours in line.

Thing is, without FP, the standby lines move much faster. I don't think you would see standby lines any longer than what currently exist at most attractions, and they'd probably be shorter at many if not most.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom