Trip Report THE ONE WITH THE ENHANCED CLEANING AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING, August 2020

Hello!!
Boy it feels good to be back here and actually have something to sayšŸ˜‚

Like many of you, I had a few trips,
four actually, that were canceled because of
shutterstock_672353038.0.jpg

I was not going to let my August trip get canceled as well. But....
My original plans were to drive my oldest back to school in south Florida then spend a few days in the World. I invited my nephew as a 17th birthday gift (he loves Star Wars and Disney) and my niece as her college graduation gift. I booked a room cash (Riverside 5th sleeper) expecting to switch it to DVC, using the leftover points I would have after booking February. I never switched it to DVC and then I wasnt allowed to borrow points but Riverside was closed and my sister in law wanted to go but I couldnt add her on to the reservation then NY decided we had to quarantine two weeks so my SIL decided she would not be going and neither would her two children. My son couldnt find a suitable apartment, I couldnt give my boss dates I would be gone but still I sat on that Riverside reservation. I was curious to see what Disney would do with it.
I called Disney, they switched the reservation to CBR. That did not excite me. But I still wanted to go.

My youngest had a lacrosse camp in North Carolina he was scheduled to attend so I asked my middle son, AJ if he wanted to go to Disney World for a long weekend. (He had been working a lot without any time off so I felt he needed a small vacay). I told him to invite a friend then quickly realized I cant stand most of his friends (like the one who reported him to the state as a person he had contact with after the friend tested positive. Yep, threw him under the bus with no warning.) But I adore AJā€™s GF so suggested he invite her. (My husband and her Dad used to work together so we have known her forever. We were at her parentā€™s weddingšŸ˜‚)

I canceled CBR and booked the following weekend at Pop instead. Then my youngestā€™s lax camp got canceled so we asked him to come with...asked the hubs too but he would just be getting back from moving my oldest into his new, and really nice, suitable even, house, down in south Florida so he said no thanks.

But 4 of us in a Pop room??? I wasnt convinced. We like to breakfast in the room. But did Pop have microwaves in the room? Or available in the food court? I doubted they had one available in the food court during these covid times but I called. And I was told ā€œyes, the microwave is availableā€. I still doubted that so I PMā€™d @ajrwdwgirl
who was at Pop. She and Brad were so kind, they scoped out the food court (no microwave) and asked the front desk if they had them to borrow (maybe).

Back to the Disney website, SSR was not that much more per night than Pop (nice AP discount!) plus I would be saving breakfast money, kids will love the pool and I love the easy access to Disney Springs. (Plus with parks closing so early that means more time in the room)

Done! (After texting @riverside , who was at SSR to find out exactly what was open and what was not.

The crew
E9FB21C8-1CDA-40C3-9FEF-5C8AD12E7089.jpeg

on the way to the airport.

edit to add that I know the above post is a jumbled mess of thoughts and run on sentences but that is how it happened. It all kept coming. One thing after another in true 2020 style.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Monday, August 31 cont

Kali river rapids was a walk on. Dreā€™s stomach was no bueno still, luckily we had more pepto. He took the pills and found a seat in the shade while AJ, K and I rode KRR.
06975C82-D843-4655-97AB-4D360BBCFD4F.jpeg

C42AB96E-2B83-47FD-8BE9-999D31C0F1BF.jpeg

452B5C34-C7A9-4EE9-A034-C77A8BAE83AE.jpeg

K got soaked. I had read on here that people weren't getting wet. Lies I tell you. Lies!
6395B7D1-1E68-4344-9AD0-6A104E23D52B.jpeg

I couldnā€™t resist the trunks up...
5D92D6C6-169C-4AAB-BEBC-F5DC9BED48AA.jpeg

7C24812F-0A93-4C7F-817F-2F7BDEA1FEDF.jpeg

AJ and K wanted to go again. They did while I went to find Dre. Luckily the pepto had kicked in and he felt better.
We had some entertainment as we waited.
688C62EA-9FED-4678-BB32-CD26F0152FAA.jpeg

The blond one was grooming the little one. The little one kept trying to get away. I could almost hear, ā€œawww Mom, you are so extra!ā€

cgersic

Oh my gosh you are sooo fun! We have to meet up at AK one day! And yes, even your blurry pictures have something to say :happy: Love all the rides on Slinky Dog and seeing the photos to go with them. Aren't the empty parks the BEST?!

DisneyGigi

I had to look up the desert blond tarantula because I expected blond hair! Sure enough, they do have blond hair.

Daughter came home yesterday and said she *almost* brought home a baby red knee tarantula. The $100 price tag stopped her, thank goodness.

_100231418_c0021517-mexican_red-legged_tarantula-spl.jpg
I killed a huge Wolf Spider in my Laundry Room sink the other day. I swear it turned itā€™s head to look at me. It was perched on the faucet. I doused it with the first thing I could find, which was the elusive- in the Covid world, rubbing alcohol. Too scared to get near it. I was going to torch it with a grill lighter and the dang thing would not light. So had to smash it with the alcohol bottle.
I probably would have to boot a child out if they brought home a spider lol! I am going to have nightmares after reading and seeing these spider pics. šŸ˜‘

Last edited:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
An SE. Not the new SE but the one thatā€™s like a 5. The battery life is šŸ’© but otherwise it still works great.
Well, you can always get a new battery. I am on my third. I was just trying to find a teacherā€™s email on my sonā€™s phone (he has a 20 or somethingšŸ˜‚) and there is no home button??? What? How does it even work without the home button? How do I quickly close out of wdwmagic when my boss walks by if I dont have a home button???

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Oh my gosh you are sooo fun! We have to meet up at AK one day! And yes, even your blurry pictures have something to say :happy: Love all the rides on Slinky Dog and seeing the photos to go with them. Aren't the empty parks the BEST?!
Empty parks are really nice. Felt like the oldenā€™ days. All I was missing was big permed hairšŸ˜‚
giphy.gif

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I killed a huge Wolf Spider in my Laundry Room sink the other day. I swear it turned itā€™s head to look at me. It was perched on the faucet. I doused it with the first thing I could find, which was the elusive- in the Covid world, rubbing alcohol. Too scared to get near it. I was going to torch it with a grill lighter and the dang thing would not light. So had to smash it with the alcohol bottle.
I probably would have to boot a child out if they brought home a spider lol! I am going to have nightmares after reading and seeing these spider pics. šŸ˜‘
Oh no!
Poor spider. I....er.....mean, you OK GG??

DisneyGigi

Well, you can always get a new battery. I am on my third. I was just trying to find a teacherā€™s email on my sonā€™s phone (he has a 20 or somethingšŸ˜‚) and there is no home button??? What? How does it even work without the home button? How do I quickly close out of wdwmagic when my boss walks by if I dont have a home button???
That took me the longest to get used to, the home button, being gone. I had a 7 plus, I think before upgrading to the latest one. I really do like it after getting used to it. Pictures are amazing, and so fast.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Monday, August 31 cont

We headed to Expedition Everest next. This is the only photo that showed up. I have to assume there was a mask malfunction on someone (cough cough Dre).
D340EE92-C0E7-4031-A82A-CA1A67BCF5EB.jpeg

65D23F7A-6D2F-4277-B1BE-A51BB1821A6D.jpeg

7F9FE868-0DCA-47EC-A939-97A271020B42.jpeg

CF53A824-BE91-4AED-8DF4-D3D7FB48D6EE.jpeg

We went on a second time then the kids went a third and fourth while I went looking for some adult refreshment. I didnt find any. The yummy margarita place was not open. The CM explained it has to do with the rules set by the governor about food and alcohol. I dont know exactly what the rule is in Florida (anyone?). Here in NY you HAVE to order food if you are drinking alcohol. So dumb.

Next we had a photo shoot. There seemed to be a lot more PP photographers here than all the other parks put together.
0F72C6F4-13DB-4264-B634-24FC37538AB1.jpeg

568F65E1-99D5-498D-ABC8-0DC2571E5522.jpeg

D5BBD0F2-DE16-4022-AFEF-8113B1180706.jpeg

And the itā€™s so cold shot. Look at Dreā€™s commitment. Nice.
2CCCE0FB-D1AF-4F26-8AF2-AE7EF3265A27.jpeg

And my all time favorite of this or any trip. This is an actual PP photo that showed up in my MDE account.
ECCFF758-43A7-4E06-9F8F-708C24E0477D.jpeg

My pictures dont look so bad now do theyšŸ˜‰.

Rista1313

Honestly, I really thought I would have a hard time without the home button, but you learn to swipe pretty quickly! The new SE does have the home button though.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Monday August 31 cont

We made our way over to Dinosaur.

Who wants ice cream?

The kids got ice cream and then gave me a hard time because they had to sit and eat them.
ā€œThose be the rulesā€
Eating at Disney is hard.

I went and got a beer.

18F6C77B-73C6-43AC-A141-C0CD0437CE58.jpeg

079AD714-E8F7-47A0-8564-C9008B603697.jpeg

Next it was time for lunch.
I mobile ordered chix nuggets for Dre from Restaurantsaurus (so many vowels!) and for the rest of us I mobile ordered Flame Tree BBQ.
AJ and K shared this.
3969329D-D2F5-48DF-9496-178A6856FDC7.jpeg

I had
64729377-E881-42DD-AEBA-F1A4160FAC11.jpeg

So good.
And.....
7041EF34-9DB1-4179-85A1-7D2DC6631028.jpeg

Really really good!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Monday August 31st cont

We headed to FoP which was a walk on. We got the bottom row and wow!!! You know how in Soarinā€™ the top row is considered the best so you dont have dangly feet in front of you?
I just assumed top row of FoP was the best. We had top row that morning, compared to bottom the bottom wins! There was one point where the banshee does a corkscrew and I actually felt like I was going upside down. What a rush. It was like a completely different ride!

Kids wanted to do EE again. I wanted to visit the Gorillas but then, wait for it, it started to rain. We did FoP again. Bottom row againā¤ļø
No pix.

Then we headed out to the buses.
Loves these shoes!
866F1F63-F952-4A97-9384-560A19BA19DB.jpeg

When we got back to SSR my buddy Mark from Wisconsin was there to get our bags. We waited for ME. ā˜¹ļø

We were seated near the front of the bus. We headed to OKW next. Then dispatch asked our bus driver to pick up a family at the Riviera. That family on board, dispatch asked the driver if he could pick up at the Yacht club. At the same time, Rockland and I said, ā€œwhy not?ā€
Wait, I didnt tell you, our ME drivers name was Rockland Steel. Is that the best name ever!!!
I mentioned it at a get together I was at and one of the guys quipped he must be a p orn star who picked up work as a bus driver during shut downšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Sad
CA8B467A-8185-4EC2-A87E-619FB608C769.jpeg

More sad
584FF800-057A-45FC-AC23-1398785F685B.jpeg

But...
C988253A-9A72-4CB4-A0F2-D51DA37B4263.jpeg

(happy!)
IRT

SEE YA REAL SOON!!!

Songbird76

Monday, August 31 cont

It was Dreā€™s turn not to feel well.
We decided to take the train to the conservation station. It had been closed for awhile and I wanted to see what was up. I will tell you right now, they should have kept it closed.
The train ride was nice. It is neat to see the backstage animal barns. Once we got there we were told the petting zoo is closed because there is no way to physically distance kids running after a goat. Those were the CMā€™s exact words and I appreciated his candor.
Trunks up!
View attachment 497913

The Vets were doing a dental procedure on a red river hog brought over from the Lodge. That was pretty cool to watch.
View attachment 497914
This is for @imahistorygeek
View attachment 497915
We left, underwhelmed. The red river hog was cool. So was the train ride but there really wasnt anything worth the time invested. There was an animation class going on, if that is your thing then it would be worth a trip out.

Maybe a morning snack is in order. AJ loves dumplings! Two please.
View attachment 497916
We also got an order of the yummiest fries ever and sat down by the water eating. (We bought the food at Kamal something)
While snacking away this came by:
View attachment 497917
View attachment 497918
View attachment 497919
I want those dumplings!!! They look so good! What was in them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom