Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

SoFloMagic

I think it’s possible. If the demand goes up there could be a holiday bump which could lead to increased hours, at least back to summer hours and MK open to 7 or maybe even 8. I wouldn’t count on anything more. It’s dark by shortly after 5 after daylight savings so that would give us 2 to 3 hours of darkness. As the CFO said in her speech yesterday they don’t expect to have more than half their hotel rooms open any time soon. Right now the crowds they are getting on weekends is heavily skewed towards locals and AP holders. They need more people to be willing to fly in to get a meaningful bump in attendance and that’s just not happening now. The FL case trend is/was looking good, but it seems to have plateaued at a level too high to get off of the travel quarantine list. As Christine McCarthy reiterated again yesterday, the spike in cases in July caused a negative impact on park attendance, specifically people who chose not to fly to FL. That needs to change to get park hours back up.
Yeah I think staying open til 7 or 8 may encourage more folks to come. MK is cozy around Christmas, but mainly after dark. I don't I would make a trip if I only got an hour of that time. For me anyway...

DisneyDebRob

Yeah I think staying open til 7 or 8 may encourage more folks to come. MK is cozy around Christmas, but mainly after dark. I don't I would make a trip if I only got an hour of that time. For me anyway...
More folks would come only if capacity is increased. If not you will see no more then what happened one day during the holiday last weekend. I do see your point though, many don’t want to even be in that crowd.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s sorta a circular reference. If demand is low then cost cutting kicks in and they cut hours and also cut more expensive attractions like night shows. If you had longer hours and night shows you may attract more people and increase demand. The wildcard is what’s happening on the ground in FL. If you go back to May and look at how Chapek described the park openings the capacity limits were supposed to go up as time went on and presumably cases dropped. In reality when the time to open came around cases were high and rising so they never really executed that plan. Instead they kept the capacity limits and demand never showed anyway. In order to have longer hours and more stuff offered they need larger crowds. The increase in crowds is dependent on both increasing Disney imposed capacity limits (only going to happen if conditions improve) and also demand from guests (only going to increase if conditions improve). Again, demand has a direct correlation to the situation on the ground (nationally but specifically in FL). For anyone arguing that they think the situation is fine or improving or good enough that’s fine for them personally, but Disney relies on the masses to show up and it’s proven out that enough people aren’t going to come unless conditions improve.

legwand77

Universal is making some minor adjustments to start to relax social distancing on the a couple of rides, now will board every row on the Hulk and RRR. Things are starting to move forward albeit slowly.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney World has just posted an update to their calendar that will see Magic Kingdom extending their hours in November. Here are the changes:

November 6th – 21st: Hours extended to 7pm close (previously 6pm)

With this update, Magic Kingdom will be open from 9am to 7pm beginning November 6th. Disney also posted hours for November 22nd through November 28th. Here are the updated hours for the month of November:

November 1-5: 9am to 6pm
November 6-28: 9am to 7pm"

rowrbazzle

"Disney World has just posted an update to their calendar that will see Magic Kingdom extending their hours in November. Here are the changes:

With this update, Magic Kingdom will be open from 9am to 7pm beginning November 6th. Disney also posted hours for November 22nd through November 28th. Here are the updated hours for the month of November:

That's a good start. I wonder if they'll extend them further closer to Thanksgiving. I have to imagine they'll go later for closer to Christmas.

legwand77

more and more progress. Figured this would be the case with the projections for sure and I am thinking fireworks down the road. Note Epcot is closing at 8

Last edited:

TTA94

more and more progress. Figured this would be the case with the projections for sure and I am thinking fireworks down the road. Note Epcot is closing at 8

I don’t think they are anywhere near close to fireworks yet. First they need make sure guest behave being in the park at night. From what I understand MK is not doing a “projection show” just steady on projections.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How is opening at noon moving forward?
They shifted EPCOT from 11-7 to 12-8. My guess is that the primary reason is that they don’t want 3 parks all closing at 7PM due to bus transportation. They always allocate extra buses to a park at closing and keeping the opening and closing times staggered means less busses and less cost. I’d be surprised if staying open until 8 meant any sort of nighttime show.

MK is getting an extra hour open which is good. 10 hours is still pretty limited. A few years back MK closed at 7pm on hard ticket nights (MVMCP) and it was always empty because nobody wanted to pay for a park day that was that short with no free night show. I also think Disney attracts a lot of locals coming for the holiday decorations and MK is always the spot to go for Christmas stuff (at least since Osbourne Lights left).

DisneyDebRob

They shifted EPCOT from 11-7 to 12-8. My guess is that the primary reason is that they don’t want 3 parks all closing at 7PM due to bus transportation. They always allocate extra buses to a park at closing and keeping the opening and closing times staggered means less busses and less cost. I’d be surprised if staying open until 8 meant any sort of nighttime show.

MK is getting an extra hour open which is good. 10 hours is still pretty limited. A few years back MK closed at 7pm on hard ticket nights (MVMCP) and it was always empty because nobody wanted to pay for a park day that was that short with no free night show. I also think Disney attracts a lot of locals coming for the holiday decorations and MK is always the spot to go for Christmas stuff (at least since Osbourne Lights left).
My bad.. I thought Epcot was 10-7 right now and they were actually losing a hour. So they stayed the same and just switched times. Also might have to do with extending evening hours with the holiday lights and taking it back in the morning.

meditation: just saw your last paragraph sayingwhat I just said. Must be lat, I glazed over it. Lol

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My bad.. I thought Epcot was 10-7 right now and they were actually losing a hour. So they stayed the same and just switched times. Also might have to do with extending evening hours with the holiday lights and taking it back in the morning.

meditation: just saw your last paragraph sayingwhat I just said. Must be lat, I glazed over it. Lol
All the parks started out in July being open 10 hours. MK and DHS lost an hour and EPCOT and AK lost 2 starting in Sept. Starting Nov they added 1 hour back to MK. No change to total hours at the other 3. Kinda surprised DHS didn’t get the hour back.

YodaMan

All the parks started out in July being open 10 hours. MK and DHS lost an hour and EPCOT and AK lost 2 starting in Sept. Starting Nov they added 1 hour back to MK. No change to total hours at the other 3. Kinda surprised DHS didn’t get the hour back.

With the return of Savi’s and the Dapper Dans, it sounds like Equity is starting to come back. Perhaps once the shows at DHS are ready to go they’ll make an announcement about the return of all those venues and possibly increase hours then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom