A sequel? Nah, not this one

ELG13

When you get greedy you tend to bring it upon yourself. For so long Iger didn’t spend at the parks so now when they are working on so many projects at once it hurts them. If you want people in the parks. You can’t just discount a room. Bring back a park ticket for $50. Give a limit and make people use a drivers liscense to control it like they do for DVC APs. That prevents scammers and companies buying up tickets and selling them for a profit. That way the guests are coming to the parks to spend money.

I think organizations that get too big for their britches lose track of how to run the business. The company I work for. We were a medium size company. Got bought by the number one company in our field and now it’s a complete disaster because they only care about the bottom line instead of how they got where they are today and who got them there.

Disney has some of the most creative minds to be had. Use them on how to get people back in the parks. Make the items needed for an attraction instead of outsourcing. I don’t think anyone ever said, built a $500 million attraction. Keep things fresh, update and build things so there are new experiences. Guardians didn’t need to be a roller coaster. Disneyland was designed for the whole family to enjoy, some can’t enjoy an attraction like that. Could they have redesigned the current attraction and come up with an new concept using the existing footprint. Yes they could. And may have spent $100 mill.

I don’t know. I’m not an expert. But I think when you let the purse strings dictate your every move things like this can happen. A value report shouldn’t be $200 a night. I didn’t pay that much for a brand new Hilton for 6 months living in LA for work. I just looked at changing my resort for my stay in a week and some rooms are well over $500 with a discount. If everything has collapsed, a 20-30% off doesn’t cut it. I’m pretty sure a group of folks with some common sense could get in a room as a team and create a way to bring people back. And I don’t mean executives. They only make it worse.

This begs the question.
When do you price yourself out of the market?
Back in the day you'd get in free on your b-day. Not that long ago actually...we took my stepdaughter for her 6th bday so 9 years ago. Mind you, we didn't go for just one day. We stayed for several, we were on site, spent all our money on disney property. It's almost as though 1) they arent "reading the room" so to speak. People are begging for a vacation, but with the economy they way it is, most can't afford a Disney vacation even with the "discounts" they have or 2) they don't care and figure APs will keep them afloat for a while until the virus clears, the economy recovers a bit...I'm not really sure but or 3) they are hoping that people's desperation will override their common sense and they will spend their stimulus money on a trip. I have APs I haven't activated yet. We have a quick trip tentatively planned for December and our annual yearly trip is in April (after several reschedules). I'm not sure I want to activate my passes with so much uncertainty with the parks. I'd hate to have to use them when I could end up getting killer florida resident tickets. I'd rather save them for a year where they actually save me money (as it was originally planned). But so far, the discounts aren't really discounts.

HollyAD

When you get greedy you tend to bring it upon yourself. For so long Iger didn’t spend at the parks so now when they are working on so many projects at once it hurts them. If you want people in the parks. You can’t just discount a room. Bring back a park ticket for $50. Give a limit and make people use a drivers liscense to control it like they do for DVC APs. That prevents scammers and companies buying up tickets and selling them for a profit. That way the guests are coming to the parks to spend money.

I think organizations that get too big for their britches lose track of how to run the business. The company I work for. We were a medium size company. Got bought by the number one company in our field and now it’s a complete disaster because they only care about the bottom line instead of how they got where they are today and who got them there.

Disney has some of the most creative minds to be had. Use them on how to get people back in the parks. Make the items needed for an attraction instead of outsourcing. I don’t think anyone ever said, built a $500 million attraction. Keep things fresh, update and build things so there are new experiences. Guardians didn’t need to be a roller coaster. Disneyland was designed for the whole family to enjoy, some can’t enjoy an attraction like that. Could they have redesigned the current attraction and come up with an new concept using the existing footprint. Yes they could. And may have spent $100 mill.

I don’t know. I’m not an expert. But I think when you let the purse strings dictate your every move things like this can happen. A value report shouldn’t be $200 a night. I didn’t pay that much for a brand new Hilton for 6 months living in LA for work. I just looked at changing my resort for my stay in a week and some rooms are well over $500 with a discount. If everything has collapsed, a 20-30% off doesn’t cut it. I’m pretty sure a group of folks with some common sense could get in a room as a team and create a way to bring people back. And I don’t mean executives. They only make it worse.

This begs the question.
When do you price yourself out of the market?

You are correct. Values shouldn't be $200. Even in peak times! Now take a depressed economy, pandemic, and extremely competitive pricing on better accommodations such as JW Marriott, Gaylord Palms, etc. I just got back from WDW a few weeks ago. My trip went well but I chose to rent DVC from a friend instead of stay value or moderate. I can afford a WDW vacation but there have been changes over the past few years that really decreased the value of a Disney vacation for me. Paying for parking if I rent a car, ticket price increases, etc. I would rather pay for Magical Express than parking in an otherwise empty lot.

We skipped Epcot, mostly because it was just myself and 11 y.o. son. They don't need a $500 mil. attraction to make me want to go. Maybe a discounted park ticket would have attracted me to the park. I also want to be able to sit, rest, eat, and drink while at Epcot. Hard to enjoy with restaurant closures, mask requirement, and intense amount of walking around the world.

RSoxNo1

Damn, LOL where do ya’ll shop around that you never get surveys with suggestion boxes?

Went to chuck e cheese this weekend, of course if you fill out the survey they will give you 100 tickets BUT they are questions in there where you can write in what they can improve on and do better. I wrote my sugestions, the generic store worker wants 10 out of 10 stars but believe me they listen.

Went to the Alamo drafthouse this past friday, after the movie I got an email with survey, in the past even if I gave them a 1 star rating regarding an issue they had, a manager always followed up to ensure customer satisfaction, BUT this time it was more like Hey what can we do to improve our services, I told them in a polite way their menu sucks(popcorn and pizza None of the signature dishes they had in the past were there) not to mention they especifally asked me what suggestions I had for them, I told them let us disposable plastic gloves for our refills like Santikos does just to throw it out there and the ability to order more food in the theater since now you have to order your food before the movie.

Heck The freaking Lego store, of course I like to give good feedback to the store as usual And there’s a block on there about what they can do differently and i gave them a sugestion and the store manager followed up with an email.

My whole job as a former ATT tech depended on good surveys from customers because they do look down upon that, but when I moved up to Sales I can tell you Management does pay attention if a customer gives you a negative review and the willingness to recommend the brand is no. Going back to ATT whenever I do something, be call their support and manage a service repair Anytime you place a No a mananger is supposed to follow up with you to ensure you are fully satisfied in anyway possible.

The whole time I‘ve been to Disney I only got one customer satisfaction email and it was right after my trip in march And to be honest like they mentioned it wasn’t suggestions, just how was your trip and they never followed up with a thank you email, you are right it all depends on who listens, but heck even Apple will listen to any suggestion you drop in the apple.com/feedback, be 5.1 Dolby support at the Time with iTunes for PC(this issue got escalated so high up I was working with an apple engineer who bought the same set up I had to replicate the issue and after months of going back and forth they finally fixed it) Disney knows they got the brand, so they understand that customers will be happy no matter what but seriously you cannot suggest anything to them unless you refer your issue to a manager for positive feedback. As a former customer service rep, that kind of feedback does matter in the metrics especially if they want to be rated by the JD power and Associates award in my opinion, but Alamo, Lego, Chuck E Cheese was done this weekend, the US postal service is optional but still you can always drop how you feel and a suggestion on how to improve.
I meant Disney surveys, not other companies.

Tom Morrow

450 million dollars...for one ride....i mean....i just can't....even.... 🤯 there is nothing on god's green earth that could convince me that's an appropriate amount of money to spend, on ONE attraction.
Consider that that's about the price of 1.5 to 2 average studio blockbuster films.
Several days later and no one has said a peep about what the OG poster hinted at. Just sayin’.
Yeah, where's the big scary news that "wasn't ready for public consumption"?

Goofnut1980

Paying for parking if I rent a car, ticket price increases, etc. I would rather pay for Magical Express than parking in an otherwise empty lot.
This one still cracks me up. I can park with my AP at a Park for free. I can stay with my DVC points and park my rental for free. But if you pay for a room at $200 you still need to pay a fee to park at the hotel. You would think with the current situation you would want to eliminate people on the Magic Express and allow more parking for free at your resorts.

This is where it is the little things they could do to help drive back the business. I want to be on that planning team to get people back!

_caleb

I want to be on that planning team to get people back!
It seems that team (which was working on ways to keep too many people from coming to WDW, but getting those who do come to spend as much as possible) is currently working on ways to keep Disney out of the press for CM complaints of failure to follow public health guidelines. But I'm sure they'll take your ideas under advisement for when they resume trying to get people into the parks.

ELG13

It was $75 back then. And if you already got tickets you would get a $75 Gift Card. Fun times.
I miss Disney before FP+ and matching shirts. Sure I love it now but that trip we took was amazing. I threw it together at the last minute, awesome dinner reservations at ohana, and I have awesome pics of my stepdaughter hoola hooping on main street while we waited for fireworks. There was no need for ropes and cast members to move people and block places. Everyone just popped a squat and watched. It's so crazy when I look at those pictures to see how it is now.

DCLcruiser

I miss Disney before FP+ and matching shirts. Sure I love it now but that trip we took was amazing. I threw it together at the last minute, awesome dinner reservations at ohana, and I have awesome pics of my stepdaughter hoola hooping on main street while we waited for fireworks. There was no need for ropes and cast members to move people and block places. Everyone just popped a squat and watched. It's so crazy when I look at those pictures to see how it is now.
There's something nice about planning before the trip, then going in each day knowing you already have 3 FP in your pocket and can plan accordingly (or modify while in a standby line on your phone) vs having to run around like a crazy person grabbing FP tickets...and then the ticket machine stopped working.

lazyboy97o

There's something nice about planning before the trip, then going in each day knowing you already have 3 FP in your pocket and can plan accordingly (or modify while in a standby line on your phone) vs having to run around like a crazy person grabbing FP tickets...and then the ticket machine stopped working.
Of the parks could have sufficient capacity to allow guests on most days to experience 1 ½ to 2 attractions per hour and that sort of running around or pre-planning would be unnecessary.

Brer Oswald

To you maybe. I don’t like having to wake up at 7 o’clock 60 days before my trip while I have other commitments in my normal life. And if you don’t stay on property, the hard to get Fast passes are likely gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom