When are all these cutbacks not about COVID anymore?

Disney Analyst

But is there really a pandemic anymore? I'm pretty sure covid doesn't fit tat bill for the last month or two or more. It's past time to move on from this, for individuals and for businesses. At this point, I think a person would be about as safe from getting an illness at Disney World right now without wearing a mask, as you would have been a year ago. It's time for us to man up, put on our big boy pants, and put the virus hysteria behind us. We used to know that when we went places there was always a risk of sickness or accident but most of us were willing to take the risk. We've become a country full of cry babies who are terrified to get a cold or the flu.

And this is why I chose not to post in this thread. I could tell by the argumentative nature of this poster towards anyone who shared fact and logic, that this type of post would eventually rear its ugly head.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And this is why I chose not to post in this thread. I could tell by the argumentative nature of this poster towards anyone who shared fact and logic, that this type of post would eventually rear its ugly head.
To be fair...that’s an old poster under a new name...
Some have notoriously “stomped off” in the last few weeks...

...but it never holds. They look for an outcry that won’t come and realize their bored and return.

Old game. One name and move on...such is the “circle of life” in a forum.

LukeS7

But is there really a pandemic anymore? I'm pretty sure covid doesn't fit tat bill for the last month or two or more. It's past time to move on from this, for individuals and for businesses. At this point, I think a person would be about as safe from getting an illness at Disney World right now without wearing a mask, as you would have been a year ago. It's time for us to man up, put on our big boy pants, and put the virus hysteria behind us. We used to know that when we went places there was always a risk of sickness or accident but most of us were willing to take the risk. We've become a country full of cry babies who are terrified to get a cold or the flu.
It must be nice living in a different reality. Yes, COVID is still a pandemic and yes there's still a large risk of catching it in places with lots of people. Our college is currently online only, but some students still couldn't get out of their off-campus leases. We got up to the first weekend of the semester and one party has resulted in at least 40 cases and over 100 close contacts from those 40. It only takes one infected person in a somewhat large group to create an outbreak.

Disone

Cheap is one thing....the company is now using COVID to explain away everything theyre doing. They are not cutting costs of admission or hotels....some of these cuts shouldn't be happening
These cuts are business related. The down in income is not small. it is the single largest negative major business impact in the companies history. Before this impact MK was at about 56K average per day. Now it's highest day was about 22k but average I hear is more at about 12k per day. Hotel occupany is IN THE GUTTER. Combine this with the need to ensure the very few who are still coming do NOT congregate and my answer to the OP is no, covid is not just an excuse. I am thrilled they are doing Christmas period.

Also they are cutting cost of admission. There are tons of discount ticket offers, hotels offers and vacation packages. No they are not going to change the printed price at the gate and the hotel rack rate, but again they are offering significant discounts.
Bob said WDW is revenue positive but is you have been recently that is really hard to believe! I was at Epcot yesturday and so void of poeple it was almost sad to see. No waiting for anything except Frozen Ever After which was only 20 minutes. Restaurants, the ones that were open, were walk up or walk in. No lines at any of the food and wine kiosk. This is not the revenue generating machine it was. The drop is not slight, moderate or even large, the drop is unprecedented and massive in size.

Sadly I predict These are only the beginning of the cuts.

Parker in NYC

Man up? Big boy pants? Welcome back to the boards!

doctornick

Nah. Nostalgia is big for Disney. People WANT to travel and Disney is a favorite destination. People need to be able to afford it (look at unemployment) and feel safe (vaccine). So Disney must maintain its financial standing until such a time. They DO care about the guests still visiting, which is why they are still celebrating the holidays.

I will say this, when my family went last month, we thought we got tremendous value due to the short lines and lack of necessary planning due to Fastpass being gone. My wife said it was the most relaxing WDW vacation she’s ever been on. We literally swam at the pool one morning before leisurely walking into Epcot at 11 am to walk onto Test Track then Frozen then Soarin by noon. It. Was. Lovely. Then we ate and ate and ate at Food and Wine. And those cavalcades were really cute. We preferred them over traffic-snarling parades or tedious Meet & Greets, but that is just us. Is it for everyone? Of course not. Plenty of people love the stuff that is missing. They should wait. But, we had a great time and it was clear Disney was paying a FORTUNE to keep the parks open and safe. So I understand the lack of a gingerbread house. When you see a ride like Splash Mountain using as many CMs as it would use on NYE to put far fewer guests on or when you see buses run like the parks are slammed even though each bus only has 2 or 3 groups (but groups are not being allowed to build at bus stops to meet social distancing guidelines), you realize Disney is doing an incredible job trying to maintain the magic. But, yes, they simply will not pay for the usual Christmas entertainment package. No rational person would expect them to. I expect them to keep the parks safe, run everyone’s favorite attractions, and sprinkle in some holiday magic to remind November and December guests that Disney appreciates them visiting during the holidays.

Absolutely. I can't speak for anyone else, but if it wasn't for the actual travelling part - flying down to Florida to go - I think I'd rather love to visit WDW right now. The stuff that's missing is either unimportant to me (M&Gs) or not make or break to me (fireworks/projection shows which I'll just catch next time). I'd rather have shorter days in the parks, getting more done while I'm in then, then having more time to chill at the pool and resort. The idea of being able to ride favorite rides repeatedly or just pick stuff at a whim sounds great even though I'm a planner. I mean, I'd still plans things out but it would be stuff like "ride Splash 7 times in a row".

Honestly, the biggest thing I'd be bummed about is having Agent Perry gone/Ducktales not up yet. I can easily imagine my family spending all our time at Epcot doing ever single mission of that and just enjoying the exploring and walking around in an "empty" park. Same goes with the POTC game, which I still don't undertstand why it isn't running. But we'd probably just play SOTMK all day then (which we've only done on occasion because we have been too busy otherwise).

ToTBellHop

Absolutely. I can't speak for anyone else, but if it wasn't for the actual travelling part - flying down to Florida to go - I think I'd rather love to visit WDW right now. The stuff that's missing is either unimportant to me (M&Gs) or not make or break to me (fireworks/projection shows which I'll just catch next time). I'd rather have shorter days in the parks, getting more done while I'm in then, then having more time to chill at the pool and resort. The idea of being able to ride favorite rides repeatedly or just pick stuff at a whim sounds great even though I'm a planner. I mean, I'd still plans things out but it would be stuff like "ride Splash 7 times in a row".

Honestly, the biggest thing I'd be bummed about is having Agent Perry gone/Ducktales not up yet. I can easily imagine my family spending all our time at Epcot doing ever single mission of that and just enjoying the exploring and walking around in an "empty" park. Same goes with the POTC game, which I still don't undertstand why it isn't running. But we'd probably just play SOTMK all day then (which we've only done on occasion because we have been too busy otherwise).
We had a blast doing the Remy Hide and Squeak in World Showcase!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
These cuts are business related. The down in income is not small. it is the single largest negative major business impact in the companies history. Before this impact MK was at about 56K average per day. Now it's highest day was about 22k but average I hear is more at about 12k per day. Hotel occupany is IN THE GUTTER. Combine this with the need to ensure the very few who are still coming do NOT congregate and my answer to the OP is no, covid is not just an excuse. I am thrilled they are doing Christmas period.

Also they are cutting cost of admission. There are tons of discount ticket offers, hotels offers and vacation packages. No they are not going to change the printed price at the gate and the hotel rack rate, but again they are offering significant discounts.
Bob said WDW is revenue positive but is you have been recently that is really hard to believe! I was at Epcot yesturday and so void of poeple it was almost sad to see. No waiting for anything except Frozen Ever After which was only 20 minutes. Restaurants, the ones that were open, were walk up or walk in. No lines at any of the food and wine kiosk. This is not the revenue generating machine it was. The drop is not slight, moderate or even large, the drop is unprecedented and massive in size.

Sadly I predict These are only the beginning of the cuts.
The first paragraph I totally agree...

The second not as much. There are few “discounts”
Available of note...but that’s by design. None of their moves tell me they are desperate to generate revenue...at all. I can only say that I probably qualify as a trained “observer”. They are actually using their prices combined with restrictions forced due to bad public management to MITIGATE their risk.

The revenue is gone...they know that. That’s why they pumped liquidity into their own books right up front. But they are stable and will be fine.

They aren’t yet ready to bring people back in their numbers...that to me is their legal analysis talking.

And to be clear: I don’t really disagree with any of their moves. Not really. Other than a pathetic handling of their timeshare (which strategically is headed to a cliff anyway)...they’ve been very measured and calculated.

Maccabee18

If the cost to benefit ratio is so diminished that the price of staying on property has lost its value would it be less costly and more beneficial to stay off property?

The cost to benefit is in the eye of the purchaser, and as with most Disney guests there are some that will pay for a Disney experience no matter what because of brand value. When that begins to change and more people decide not to spend the dollars in Disney they will discount, offer packages or do what they can to entice the brand loyalists to remain.

Disney has a reasonable usage of understanding because of the pandemic where people will pay to have a vacation while no one can go anywhere right now nationally, even if it's difficult to do. Disney will offer the best experience they can while salvaging the bottom line, I think any business would do that right now.

ToTBellHop

Remy statues (actual rat size) hidden in plain sight in World Showcase. Scavenger hunt, put stickers on a board showing you found him. Get a prize. Pay to participate.
The part you missed is that the kids are so enthralled looking for him that the parental units get to enjoy F&W festival booth offerings without the kids complaining about the lines! You basically are buying half a date for yourselves. Minimal parenting needed. Living the Dream.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Face it, folks... until March, Disney was a 12-ounce "pound of coffee." Same size can, just less inside. "New and improved," but the major improvement was for the stockholders' dividends and executives' salaries.

The pandemic has taken out a couple more ounces of coffee. Are they ever coming back?

Let's put it this way -- the Disney 10-ounce can is the same size, same price... even being rationed and regulated... and people are still buying it. Why would they put the ounces back?

The savvy consumer will shop for amusement like they do for coffee -- either find another brand that still gives you more ounces for your entertainment dollar, or buy when the product goes on sale.

No wonder Disney put Starbucks in their parks...

Lilofan

Face it, folks... until March, Disney was a 12-ounce "pound of coffee." Same size can, just less inside. "New and improved," but the major improvement was for the stockholders' dividends and executives' salaries.

The pandemic has taken out a couple more ounces of coffee. Are they ever coming back?

Let's put it this way -- the Disney 10-ounce can is the same size, same price... even being rationed and regulated... and people are still buying it. Why would they put the ounces back?

The savvy consumer will shop for amusement like they do for coffee -- either find another brand that still gives you more ounces for your entertainment dollar, or buy when the product goes on sale.

The theming of Starbucks is very subtle in the parks much less than a Starbucks outside of WDW.

bryanfze55

This is a great analogy. The unfortunate problem is, those 10 ounces taste a lot better than the 16 ounces other entertainment options provide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom