A sequel? Nah, not this one

RSoxNo1

I can personally attest to a text box feature on my most recent WDW survey....now, if any reads them?
Don't get me wrong, it happens, but not very often. I have several people that forward their surveys to me and the free form text box might appear on several but it's often on things that most of us on here would deem inconsequential.

Ldno

Except a number of insiders have given us clues as to what some of the survey results are including things the members of this board didn't think were that popular, but are. We we told that general satisfaction (GSAT) was higher for the MK with Stitch closed than open.

Of course surveys are not free from bias because just choosing what to ask about is bias. We may hate Attraction A and wonder how come Disney never asks about Attraction A so that we can spew our bile upon it. But Disney knows that Attraction A gets a good number of guests according to tracking data, and so they never ask about it.

But then, for example, our beloved Attraction B has been seeing its guest attendance numbers go down, and so Disney puts Attraction B on the survey. And then we panic thinking that Attraction B's days are numbered because of it and shake our fists that Attraction A still isn't being asked about!

Some will say "Hey, the survey is biased!" But in this scenario, no. It's not biased at all. Disney wants to know about an attraction that's getting less attendance, which is a perfectly normal thing to ask about. Or perhaps beloved Attraction B is expensive to run or needs major refurbishment and Disney wants to know if it's worth it.

Surveys are not a suggestion box. Anyone who thinks that they are doesn't understand surveys.

Anyone who thinks Disney hires expensive data and polling analysts and spends hundreds of thousands of dollars a year just to do what they wanted to do anyway is in conspiracy theory territory. Especially because Disney almost never reveals the results of the surveys, so, who are they justifying the results to? Themselves? They could have just decided to do what they want anyway.

No tool is perfect or without bias, but the claim the surveys are a sham is an absurd conspiracy.
It is very rare that a survey question has a free form text box that is relevant to current fan complaints.

Damn, LOL where do ya’ll shop around that you never get surveys with suggestion boxes?

Went to chuck e cheese this weekend, of course if you fill out the survey they will give you 100 tickets BUT they are questions in there where you can write in what they can improve on and do better. I wrote my sugestions, the generic store worker wants 10 out of 10 stars but believe me they listen.

Went to the Alamo drafthouse this past friday, after the movie I got an email with survey, in the past even if I gave them a 1 star rating regarding an issue they had, a manager always followed up to ensure customer satisfaction, BUT this time it was more like Hey what can we do to improve our services, I told them in a polite way their menu sucks(popcorn and pizza None of the signature dishes they had in the past were there) not to mention they especifally asked me what suggestions I had for them, I told them let us disposable plastic gloves for our refills like Santikos does just to throw it out there and the ability to order more food in the theater since now you have to order your food before the movie.

Heck The freaking Lego store, of course I like to give good feedback to the store as usual And there’s a block on there about what they can do differently and i gave them a sugestion and the store manager followed up with an email.

My whole job as a former ATT tech depended on good surveys from customers because they do look down upon that, but when I moved up to Sales I can tell you Management does pay attention if a customer gives you a negative review and the willingness to recommend the brand is no. Going back to ATT whenever I do something, be call their support and manage a service repair Anytime you place a No a mananger is supposed to follow up with you to ensure you are fully satisfied in anyway possible.

The whole time I‘ve been to Disney I only got one customer satisfaction email and it was right after my trip in march And to be honest like they mentioned it wasn’t suggestions, just how was your trip and they never followed up with a thank you email, you are right it all depends on who listens, but heck even Apple will listen to any suggestion you drop in the apple.com/feedback, be 5.1 Dolby support at the Time with iTunes for PC(this issue got escalated so high up I was working with an apple engineer who bought the same set up I had to replicate the issue and after months of going back and forth they finally fixed it) Disney knows they got the brand, so they understand that customers will be happy no matter what but seriously you cannot suggest anything to them unless you refer your issue to a manager for positive feedback. As a former customer service rep, that kind of feedback does matter in the metrics especially if they want to be rated by the JD power and Associates award in my opinion, but Alamo, Lego, Chuck E Cheese was done this weekend, the US postal service is optional but still you can always drop how you feel and a suggestion on how to improve.

Last edited:

DoleWhipDrea

I feel like most of the surveys I’ve gotten from Disney have text boxes I can write in at multiple points, and sometimes at the end asking if I have any other related comments that I wanted to add. But essentially all of them have been related to dining.

One that I appreciated filling out was the one from Disney Springs’ reopening. I felt that the employees were all doing a great job but the visitors weren’t following guidelines, and I was surprised that with the amount of parking Disney has that they weren’t having visitors park in every other space like Universal does (this helps a lot with social distancing.) I wrote about both. The next time I visited, mask usage and enforcement improved and parking was staggered.

Haven’t been lucky enough to get any Disney surveys about rides or potentially renaming of parks. I remember reading about the options that came up for renaming DHS and being stunned that they were all bad. That absolutely felt rigged to me!

Epcot82Guy

A major difference is the goal of the survey. There are surveys that are focused on guest satisfaction. There are others that are focused on selecting an action from a list of predefined actions. Having done a number of surveys across the parks, Disney typically uses the latter in its surveys. It actually uses guest satisfaction to filter out the responders. But, they are looking to decide between set courses of action vs. really understanding your opinion.

That's not to say Disney doesn't consider a surprising result in guest satisfaction. It's that they are clearly looking for preference.

For example, you could get a Disney Springs survey. IF it was guest satisfaction, it would be about your general experiences, what can we do better, etc. If it is a selection survey, it would say - which of these specific categories would you like added - quick service restaurant, lounge/bar, sit down restaurant, grab and go food, character dining. You would typically get the ability to make general comments in the second version. But, it's not designed for you to add other categories or options. It's really a poll from selected options.

Neither is right or wrong. But, they have different design intents.

CaptainAmerica

A major difference is the goal of the survey. There are surveys that are focused on guest satisfaction. There are others that are focused on selecting an action from a list of predefined actions. Having done a number of surveys across the parks, Disney typically uses the latter in its surveys. It actually uses guest satisfaction to filter out the responders. But, they are looking to decide between set courses of action vs. really understanding your opinion.

That's not to say Disney doesn't consider a surprising result in guest satisfaction. It's that they are clearly looking for preference.

For example, you could get a Disney Springs survey. IF it was guest satisfaction, it would be about your general experiences, what can we do better, etc. If it is a selection survey, it would say - which of these specific categories would you like added - quick service restaurant, lounge/bar, sit down restaurant, grab and go food, character dining. You would typically get the ability to make general comments in the second version. But, it's not designed for you to add other categories or options. It's really a poll from selected options.

Neither is right or wrong. But, they have different design intents.
Even the guest satisfaction surveys are calibrated across time and relative to other surveyed data points.

"Kilimanjaro Safaris has an 82% 'Excellent' rating" is relatively useless information in a vacuum. It's only valuable when you can combine it with other data points, such as:
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris only had a 76% 'Excellent' rating on the days the male lion was backstage for a medical procedure.
  • Only 48% of Animal Kingdom guests got to ride Kilimanjaro Safaris because of capacity issues related to vehicle maintenance.
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris is rated 86% 'Excellent' in January but only 78% 'Excellent' in August.
  • Expedition: Everest has an 80% 'Excellent' rating.
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris' 'Excellent' rating has been steadily decreasing for the past two years.
Individual surveys are not meant to tell the story. The population of surveys across time is what tells the story.

tl77

How long have guys been on here "acting like insiders, talking about budgets?" ...and what has it gotten you?

No one cares, it's not what the business is about... it's about entertaining people. When the people get mad about the lack of entertainment or quality of the entertainment? That's when things change ...People were mad there was no Pirates ride in the early 70's ...so one got built ...People are apparently mad about Splash Mountain now ...so it's going away.

The real bottom line is "making people happy" ...if cheap spinner rides like Dumbo make people happy, then they build more spinner rides ...people talking about budgets on the internet means nothing to The Walt Disney Company

Parker in NYC

Seems to fit in Tomorrowland.

I enjoy Meet The Robinsons, very underrated and understandably admired by diehard Disney park enthusiasts. I saw @Furiated get livid with my post and it's certainly not my assessment of the work itself. And yes, it does belong in Tomorrowland. But going forward, the day Disney adds an obscure IP to Tomorrowland (TRON is a well known nearly 40 year-old franchise with its own universe) is the day I eat my hat. If I wore a hat. I'll just eat more cookies (so it's a win-win). Do MTB characters make appearances in the park? Sure. But so does Friar Tuck (and I'm still waiting for ANYTHING Robin Hood... for now, random character appearances and some fleeting wall decals in Epcot have to do the trick).

Furiated

I enjoy Meet The Robinsons, very underrated and understandably admired by diehard Disney park enthusiasts. I saw @Furiated get livid with my post and it's certainly not my assessment of the work itself. And yes, it does belong in Tomorrowland. But going forward, the day Disney adds an obscure IP to Tomorrowland (TRON is a well known nearly 40 year-old franchise with its own universe) is the day I eat my hat. If I wore a hat. I'll just eat more cookies (so it's a win-win). Do MTB characters make appearances in the park? Sure. But so does Friar Tuck (and I'm still waiting for ANYTHING Robin Hood... for now, random character appearances and some fleeting wall decals in Epcot have to do the trick).

Heh, I wasn't livid, but I do enjoy Meet the Robinsons and consider it criminally underrated.

tirian

I participated in that survey. It sure as heck seemed like whoever requested a survey be performed didn't want it renamed.
I did too! Those names were terrible!

Was anyone else included in the Downtown Disney/Disney Springs survey? It had questions like whether you’d associate Sephora and Victoria’s Secret with a Disney shopping center. That was a real question.

tirian

How long have guys been on here "acting like insiders, talking about budgets?" ...and what has it gotten you?

No one cares, it's not what the business is about... it's about entertaining people. When the people get mad about the lack of entertainment or quality of the entertainment? That's when things change ...People were mad there was no Pirates ride in the early 70's ...so one got built ...People are apparently mad about Splash Mountain now ...so it's going away.

The real bottom line is "making people happy" ...if cheap spinner rides like Dumbo make people happy, then they build more spinner rides ...people talking about budgets on the internet means nothing to The Walt Disney Company
First, no. No groups of people were angry about Splash Mt. until the echo chamber told them to be.

Second, then why are you on a fan forum where people discuss these things? It’s a hobby. If others can talk about trains, planes, and automobiles, we can talk about the theme park industry.

lazyboy97o

First, no. No groups of people were angry about Splash Mt. until the echo chamber told them to be.

Second, then why are you on a fan forum where people discuss these things? It’s a hobby. If others can talk about trains, planes, and automobiles, we can talk about the theme park industry.
Consider the source. This is someone who mocked people for believing the fake news that Disney was building Ratatouille and a gondola.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom