On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Please! Wear a mask, wash hands, disinfect surfaces, exercise, eat well, worrying is normal this illness is no joke and deserves to be respected not feared. Allow the medical and scientific communities to finish working out therapies and cures. Bottom line get out there and live not just exist. A trip to a Disney property and a brief dose of entertainment may just be the way to go, just give each other some elbow room (yea, No Crowding).
Just to be clear...I agree with you.

But the pigheadedness needed to be cracked open like a walnut...

And mandates, rules and yes - the press - serve a role in breaking the bad habits. It needs/needed to be done.

Ignorance is never much of a viable plan.

Now if people do the right things - collectively - then resume all activities. By all means.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And don't talk so loud in Europe. Inside voices, people.

The stereotypical "ugly American traveler" in Europe is actually an almost extinct species (I think most of these types only travel domestically now), but if there's one thing that makes us stand out in a less-than-desirable manner is that our loud volume can easily become intrusive.

As for the comment of "the world would be better off", if more Americans could see
how cruddy and primitive much of our infrastructure is compared to western Europe, parts of Asia, Australia and New Zealand, perhaps this would create public pressure to actually improve things here.
I blame bars for that.

Why on earth is it a “custom” to have to shout over something most agree paying attention to anyway??

1599051568145.jpeg

GimpYancIent

Just to be clear...I agree with you.

But the pigheadedness needed to be cracked open like a walnut...

And mandates, rules and yes - the press - serve a role in breaking the bad habits. It needs/needed to be done.

Ignorance is never much of a viable plan.

Now if people do the right things - collectively - then resume all activities. By all means.
Ahhhhh! You mention "the press". The data, information and presentation done by the media about this illness, simply put, has been lacking. I find myself doing a lot of fact checking and research because "the press" has not been doing due diligence producing its product.

Heppenheimer

I blame bars for that.

Why on earth is it a “custom” to have to shout over something most agree paying attention to anyway??

View attachment 494420
It seems to have infected theme park behavior too. I notice in old home movies of our Disney trips, you didn't hear the constant rumble of loud conversations drowning out the pre-show dialogue that is now the norm.

Lilofan

Lived in Europe off and on for over 7 years. Lot's to see as the whole place is drenched in history, different art forms and architecture spanning centuries. Learn to speak some of the local language / languages. You will see the locals actually appreciate the effort to communicate with them in their language and reciprocate. Communication is a wonderful thing.
I did that with my Spanish in Central and South America. We actually got more respect and better customer service. I just wouldn't wear any American flag on my hat or shirt. I'm not that stupid. My friend was physically assaulted because of his t-shirt bearing our flag.

John park hopper

It seems to have infected theme park behavior too. I notice in old home movies of our Disney trips, you didn't hear the constant rumble of loud conversations drowning out the pre-show dialogue that is now the norm.
Overall the level of civility and respect for other people has declined dramatically over the years. The attitude -- I paid my money it's all about me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I did that with my Spanish in Central and South America. We actually got more respect and better customer service.
...anywhere.

I spoke little to no Francais...and rudimentary Deutsch...and never have had issues.

Damn near all Europeans in travel areas speak English...but why should that be the standard?

Lilofan

...anywhere.

I spoke little to no Francais...and rudimentary Deutsch...and never have had issues.

Damn near all Europeans in travel areas speak English...but why should that be the standard?
The waiters understand the word No. They start giving you plates of hor'derves and by golly unsuspecting tourists start munching on them. You then get charged for the food on the plates. Just say No. A favorite way to scam Americans. Just order from the menu.

DCLcruiser

Germans have a mode of interaction known as "business polite" (I forget what the actual term is in German) that some American travelers mistake for coldness. For example, if you're accustomed to wait staff pretending to be your life-long friend and stopping by every 10 minutes to ask if everything is OK, don't expect that in Germany (or most of Europe, actually). There's no pretense that the interaction between two parties who don't know each other is anything other than a business transaction. Respectful courtesy is maintained, but don't expect to meet your new besty (looking at you, Rick Steves fans...).

As someone who naturally is a bit more introverted, I vastly prefer the honesty of a business polite interaction to the shallow friendliness we do here.
I worked for a bank for 10 years in the US with a lot of German clients/employees, as well as traveling to Austria and Germany. I only speak English and completely agree with your "business polite" comments. I can always tell if someone is a native German, even when they only use English. Always nice and polite, but there's a difference from Americans (like most other cultures).

Most European countries take forever when it comes to table service. It's not because they are rude or don't care (well tips are less important, so they don't need to fawn over you), but it is usually due to less staffing. Since everyone is salary they hire fewer waiters and they need to cover more tables per person, so it takes longer. Good idea is to always get the check (and please make it clear if you are using credit card when you ask for it..show them the card as you do the "check wave"), as you are finishing your food...don't wait for the end, bc you could wait 20 minutes for it. Also, for Lunch, if you are sitting down with a waiter, you need about 2 hours before your next tour, etc.

We always do well when traveling to non-english speaking countries. We try to learn a decent amount of basic language, like to order food, pleasantries, directions, etc. Luckily we know some French and Italian, and basic German isn't hard. They almost always switch into English for us, but you can tell they appreciate the attempt. The service is always great. Avoid tourist traps, go off the beaten path for better food! We also try to blend in and not look like tourists as much as possible. No big cameras, no backpacks (use a plain black draw string bag w/o english words that blends into you), no baseball hats, etc. A little cultural research goes a long way as each country has a different dress code (unless you go to DLP, then wear anything you want).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom