Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

_caleb

I can see that the very sensitive still have no sense of humor. I consider this forum just above twitter , not quite 6 feet under but 3 feet under.
With over 170K people dead, probably not the best material for jokes.

Also, asking you as a former CM, do you think the flippant attitude about the virus that you demonstrate with posts like these would affect a CM's ability to comply with and enforce public health protocols in the parks?

Castmbr

:rolleyes:
Individuals always have a choice to come or not based upon what they think is safe. Disney is doing what Disney lawyers want. I think the protocols are fine and a little over the top. I know cast that are enforcing the rules and I know some that do not care as with all "rules" . If I were in the parks , which I was not, then I would not actively look for infractions with my clipboard.

With over 170K people dead, probably not the best material for jokes.

Also, asking you as a former CM, do you think the flippant attitude about the virus that you demonstrate with posts like these would affect a CM's ability to comply with and enforce public health protocols in the parks?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1598456675731.png

1598456701007.png

_caleb

:rolleyes:
Individuals always have a choice to come or not based upon what they think is safe. Disney is doing what Disney lawyers want. I think the protocols are fine and a little over the top. I know cast that are enforcing the rules and I know some that do not care as with all "rules" . If I were in the parks , which I was not, then I would not actively look for infractions with my clipboard.
Thanks for your response. I'm not trying to roast you about your opinion. I'm just curious.

I would have a bit of a problem if you were a CM who was expected by the Company (and public) to enforce the policies that help keep people safe (or at least feel safe) but didn't actively look for infractions due to your beliefs that the rules are over the top. How can I make an informed decision about going to the parks if CMs are not enforcing the policies and procedures that Disney advertises as being in place to keep me safe?

Just a discussion, not attacking you. Genuinely asking!

Disney Analyst

Can you imagine the drama if WDW had to send out emails like this: ?

Which would seem silly for there to be drama.

The Canadian government has full out said this could be over sometime next year, or it could be another 2-3 years. We just don’t know.

So unless everyone expects everything to shut down fully for 2-3 years, we all need to get used to the idea of being contact traced when we go anywhere that is outside our homes.

I know the media would have a field day with Disney if that happened, but quite frankly I find it ludicrous that they would.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which would seem silly for there to be drama.

The Canadian government has full out said this could be over sometime next year, or it could be another 2-3 years. We just don’t know.

So unless everyone expects everything to shut down fully for 2-3 years, we all need to get used to the idea of being contact traced when we go anywhere that is outside our homes.

I know the media would have a field day with Disney if that happened, but quite frankly I find it ludicrous that they would.
There’s a pretty big resistance to contact tracing in the US. Health departments are having trouble getting people to cooperate in some cases. It’s all been politicized and one side is against testing and tracing in general because the more you test and trace the more cases you find. Like a toddler that covers their eyes and then believes they are invisible if you don’t test anyone then the total positive is zero. Pandemic over.

Castmbr

Thanks for your response. I'm not trying to roast you about your opinion. I'm just curious.

I would have a bit of a problem if you were a CM who was expected by the Company (and public) to enforce the policies that help keep people safe (or at least feel safe) but didn't actively look for infractions due to your beliefs that the rules are over the top. How can I make an informed decision about going to the parks if CMs are not enforcing the policies and procedures that Disney advertises as being in place to keep me safe?

Just a discussion, not attacking you. Genuinely asking!

Fair and my answer to that....How can you feel safe flying in a plane? Restaurant? Bus? You trust the policy and expect 100% compliance. I am just stating human nature is not going to give you 100% but maybe 90%. Over the top are the masks and that is keeping people from coming. The rest of the procedures seem appropriate and you are probably getting 90% compliance but the cleaning standards are horrendously difficult to maintain.

There ya go... an honest opinion and viewpoint.

Disney Analyst

There’s a pretty big resistance to contact tracing in the US. Health departments are having trouble getting people to cooperate in some cases. It’s all been politicized and one side is against testing and tracing in general because the more you test and trace the more cases you find. Like a toddler that covers their eyes and then believes they are invisible if you don’t test anyone then the total positive is zero. Pandemic over.

Yeesh. The US is ridiculous sometimes.

Contact Tracing is one of the best forms of defence we have. It helps stop a super-spreader from starting.

My provinces BCCDC website lists all public exposures, so you can go and see if you were in a place at the time someone may have been there that had COVID. They will only contact you directly if they have been told by the positive person that they had direct contact with you.

With measures like these we currently have 2,600+ people under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases.

_caleb

Fair and my answer to that....How can you feel safe flying in a plane? Restaurant? Bus? You trust the policy and expect 100% compliance. I am just stating human nature is not going to give you 100% but maybe 90%. Over the top are the masks and that is keeping people from coming. The rest of the procedures seem appropriate and you are probably getting 90% compliance but the cleaning standards are horrendously difficult to maintain.

Thanks again. So you're estimating that the attitudes of CMs and guests allows Disney to deliver on about 90% of the public health risk mitigation measures they say they're going to provide. That's the part that concerns me as a (potential) park guest. I'm not there to interview lots of CMs to get a sense of how many take the measures seriously. Disney obviously doesn't advertise this, so how am I to know? And therefore, how can I make an informed decision?

And yes, the same would go for a restaurant or air travel.

For the record, I disagree with your position. I think a CM should do their best to enforce all of Disney's rules, policies, and procedures (while also exercising the freedom some are given by the Company to make allowances on things like FastPass return times or throwing in a free dessert whatever for customer service and satisfaction purposes). I think it's a matter of integrity and work ethic, and it all adds up to a level of quality and safety. But like I said, I'm not here to debate, just trying to gauge input from a known CM. Thanks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

That‘s a valid opinion and a better way to engage in a discussion.

I agree that the parks are not more risky than a plane or bus or indoor restaurant. In some ways they are safer because of the safety requirements and general compliance to them. We can agree to disagree on masks. In my opinion there’s enough evidence to show that they are effective and in places like ride queues and on buses and monorails it’s really hard to rely on distancing alone. I do agree that many people don’t want to go to WDW because of masks, but many others would also not be willing to go without them right now. I’m not sure that park attendance would be that much better without masks right now. The pandemic is killing WDW attendance either way. The only way to get to a decent attendance number is to get overall cases way down and get the masses comfortable going out in public in places with crowds.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Contact Tracing is one of the best forms of defence we have. It helps stop a super-spreader from starting.

My provinces BCCDC website lists all public exposures, so you can go and see if you were in a place at the time someone may have been there that had COVID. They will only contact you directly if they have been told by the positive person that they had direct contact with you.

With measures like these we currently have 2,600+ people under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases.
It’s very disappointing to see how selfish people can be.

Disney Analyst

That‘s a valid opinion and a better way to engage in a discussion.

I agree that the parks are not more risky than a plane or bus or indoor restaurant. In some ways they are safer because of the safety requirements and general compliance to them. We can agree to disagree on masks. In my opinion there’s enough evidence to show that they are effective and in places like ride queues and on buses and monorails it’s really hard to rely on distancing alone. I do agree that many people don’t want to go to WDW because of masks, but many others would also not be willing to go without them right now. I’m not sure that park attendance would be that much better without masks right now. The pandemic is killing WDW attendance either way. The only way to get to a decent attendance number is to get overall cases way down and get the masses comfortable going out in public in places with crowds.

The only real way to get attendance numbers back is to not have the virus at all. I truly believe until this virus is hopefully one day gone and done, only then will we actually see things go back to normal. Otherwise Theme Parks and entertainment venues will be heavily impacted.

oceanbreeze77

Funny how accounts get banned and “new” accounts pop up that only post in Covid threads. :rolleyes:
I have to wonder the motivation. Seems a lot of work just to post on a fan site where no one will be swayed by anything anyone else posts.
What is the payoff?
The payoff is somewhere in their mind they are getting back at the system and getting their point out there still. Makes no sense to me but I guess to them it does.
Its also interesting how posts from these accounts always say the same thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hurricanes are always a big challenge but when you add in the pandemic it’s a logistical nightmare. Nothing is easy these days. I guess the only positive is there’s no shortage of available hotel rooms inland to evacuate to for those who can afford it. With people storing extra food these days there’s going to be even more lost food if/when the power goes out for thousands too.

Castmbr

Thanks again. So you're estimating that the attitudes of CMs and guests allows Disney to deliver on about 90% of the public health risk mitigation measures they say they're going to provide. That's the part that concerns me as a (potential) park guest. I'm not there to interview lots of CMs to get a sense of how many take the measures seriously. Disney obviously doesn't advertise this, so how am I to know? And therefore, how can I make an informed decision?

And yes, the same would go for a restaurant or air travel.

For the record, I disagree with your position. I think a CM should do their best to enforce all of Disney's rules, policies, and procedures (while also exercising the freedom some are given by the Company to make allowances on things like FastPass return times or throwing in a free dessert whatever for customer service and satisfaction purposes). I think it's a matter of integrity and work ethic, and it all adds up to a level of quality and safety. But like I said, I'm not here to debate, just trying to gauge input from a known CM. Thanks.

TBH - If you expect 100% compliance then you need to stay home. You are assuming that 100% of the actions prevent COVID 100% of the time. I have to disagree on that based upon public data. Cast can only have coverage so much of the time and cleaning tables after every use, bath stalls, railings after every touch is just not going to happen. Disney is great at PR but mediocre on execution.

rowrbazzle

Compliance from a passenger or guest is one thing. Complaince from an employee tasked with enforcing the policies is different. I don't expect 100% compliance from guests. But I certainly do expect that employees aren't simply disregarding safety rules they disagree with.

techgeek

I read about contact tracing 'success stories' like this around the world often. Unfortunately, the idea that we could have something like that happen in Florida is literally inconceivable right now. Looking past the challenges of public support & cooperation, there's no resources on the local, state, or federal level to even begin to make it happen. The state and county health departments here basically threw up their hands and gave up once we got a couple hundred cases into this, because they don't have the funding and manpower for their day-to-day operations let alone widespread pandemic contact tracing.

Honestly, the only shot we had at it was if a heavy economic hitter like Disney stood up and said "we need this", and threw their weight around politically until it happened.

oceanbreeze77

Without getting too political, THIS is trash. What an embarrassment. So many more are going to lose their lives unnecessarily .

_caleb

TBH - If you expect 100% compliance then you need to stay home. You are assuming that 100% of the actions prevent COVID 100% of the time. I have to disagree on that based upon public data. Cast can only have coverage so much of the time and cleaning tables after every use, bath stalls, railings after every touch is just not going to happen. Disney is great at PR but mediocre on execution.
I'm really not assuming that any of the efforts can prevent the spread of the virus. That's why I used the term "risk mitigation efforts."

But I am certain that measures that are not implemented and enforced will never work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom