Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Analyst

South Florida school already having issues. Who’s surprised?
View attachment 492905

My province has fines now for those who break the rules in terms of gatherings/parties. $2,000 fine to the organizer, and possible $200 fine for any guests if they don’t comply with the responding officer.

On the weekend this 20 something in Victoria threw a big party in his 300 square foot apartment, he distributed a flier online for it and police actually warned him ahead of time to not throw it. He did. He got fined. And then he threw a party the next night again!!

Now he’s on the news trying to defend himself, but says all his neighbours hate him and he’s being evicted.

I say good riddance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New opinion piece from the WSJ. Long one but interesting. The title is a bit misleading as it really isn’t a “all lockdowns are bad” article. Kinda goes through how we got here.

I think most people agree with the idea that lockdowns are a blunt instrument and that the better approach would be more targeted restrictions. However, whenever those targeted restrictions are in place a group of people resist and lump that in with lockdowns and shout “the economy, the economy, the economy” without understanding the real macro economic impacts of these actions. One thing I’ve been saying for a while that angers a lot of people is this from the article:

The economic pain from pandemics mostly comes not from sick people but from healthy people trying not to get sick: consumers and workers who stay home, and businesses that rearrange or suspend production. A lot of this is voluntary, so some economic hit is inevitable whether or not governments impose restrictions. Disentangling voluntary and government-ordered effects is hard. One study, by economists Austan Goolsbee and Chad Syverson at the University of Chicago, says government restrictions account for just 12% of the decline in consumer mobility in the U.S.”

The point is that the economic impact of the virus itself is much worse than the economic impact from the restrictions put in place by the government at a macro economic level. Therefore the best thing for the economy is to get the virus under control so more people participate in the economy as opposed to the common shouting mantra of “opening businesses for the sake of the economy”. The part that many people don’t realize is there’s an overall macro economic impact to decisions that is often in direct conflict with the micro economic impact to a particular business. For example, it is obviously in the best interest for a bar to be open and selling drinks but bars being open resulted in a surge in cases and a very negative impact to the overall economy. So while that bar made some money places like WDW or restaurants or retail stores lost out because of the spike in cases and the overall economic impact was very negative.

One reason this is so hard is there’s a guy who owns that bar. It’s his business and if it’s not open he could lose it. From his personal perspective keeping bars closed is a huge negative. That’s where the rub comes in between the best interest of individual businesses and the best interest of the overall economy. I do believe that it’s possible to get 80-90% of the economy open safely but not that 10-20% that includes businesses like clubs, bars, professional sports stadiums and other businesses relying on large group gatherings. It’s a tough pill to swallow if you are in one of those businesses. That’s why it’s not as easy as making decisions based on public health vs the economy. In some cases the decisions in favor of public health also help the economy.

oceanbreeze77

When’s the first football game when those students all pack in the stadium after a few hours of heavy tail gating :rolleyes:
There is a danger with closing schools at this point and it is that these kids get on planes and go home to their towns, taking the virus with them. Its nightmare scenario. Thats why its probably best for colleges that haven't started yet to go straight to virtual.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The economic pain from pandemics mostly comes not from sick people but from healthy people trying not to get sick: consumers and workers who stay home, and businesses that rearrange or suspend production. A lot of this is voluntary, so some economic hit is inevitable whether or not governments impose restrictions. Disentangling voluntary and government-ordered effects is hard. One study, by economists Austan Goolsbee and Chad Syverson at the University of Chicago, says government restrictions account for just 12% of the decline in consumer mobility in the U.S.”
There is a second study called out right after this one. :). Was it 60%? I can see all sides. I just thought it was an interesting read.

One part of the article basically said the world abandoned the procedures we had in writing/place to deal with something like this.. once Italy really blew up and we saw hospitals being overrun, etc. It was like “crap, this may not work.”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is a second study called out right after this one. :). Was it 60%? I can see all sides. I just thought it was an interesting read.
The 60% was in reference to jobs lost. Of course when all non-essential businesses were forced to close the vast majority of unemployment claims were the result of that. Most of that was temporary losses and some of those jobs have already come back. It’s difficult to say all of the ones that didn’t are due to the lockdowns for the same reasons as I stated above. Take WDW as an example. When the place was closed almost all workers were on unemployment. When it re-opened some came back but others are still out. An argument can be made that if the case numbers were controlled WDW would have seen much larger crowds and more of those workers would be back now. The CEO and CFO made that point on the earnings call. The point is there’s still a bunch of CMs on furlough and there are no government restrictions preventing WDW from being open. It’s purely driven by a lack of demand.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1598377256859.png

1598377277299.png

Kevin_W

I live near Ohio State, so this made local news. Not too much different than other campuses, sadly. But I'm glad to see the University taking action. Thousands/tens of thousands of students are paying good money for an education, their right to that education shouldn't be taken away by a few that cannot follow the rules.

Heppenheimer

I live near Ohio State, so this made local news. Not too much different than other campuses, sadly. But I'm glad to see the University taking action. Thousands/tens of thousands of students are paying good money for an education, their right to that education shouldn't be taken away by a few that cannot follow the rules.

I've read that the Big 10's (or whatever they call it these days) decision to cancel fall sports is, to put it mildly, not going over well with the fans of a certain "The" university. If its any consolation, I wouldn't be surprised if Alabama is forced to cancel their season, and with them, goes the remainder of the SEC.

DisneyDebRob

So, how’s the school openings going?

min kidding.. I’m sure there’s a few with no problems. Most go back in the next few weeks so we will see.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Could this mean a glimmer of hope for the resumption of Disney's character dining?

Character Dining traditionally includes hugs and posing with the characters with arms linked or around shoulders.

Tho CV transmission is low with touch, it's not zero-risk. Thus, the M&G portion of Character Dining can't happen. Which means the best you can get is the characters walking by and waving, which is happening at Riviera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom