Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanbreeze77

I think you are thinking a step beyond what certain other people are thinking. My conspiracy theorist is that this is all about handling schools. Don't need to test all the kids or adults because of one case, if the recommendation is exposed, but asymptomatic don't need tests.. You and I know that the positivity will go up if you are only testing symptomatic people. Continuing with the conspiracy theory, I think the smart people in the CDC know it too. ie. you can't make this go away by not testing. It will rear it's ugly head one way or another. Instead of cases, it will be positivity.
This makes a lot of sense. I’ve been saying from the beginning that the biggest problem with schools opening physically was going to be what to do if someone at the school tests positive and everyone has to quarantine and/or get tested to return to school. This opens the door to say nobody has to quarantine or get tested now except the sick person. Problem solved. Is that a good thing? I guess that depends on your perspective. If the goal is schools open no matter what then it helps the cause. Is it keeping people safe and helping slow the spread...not at all. It is following through on the desire to reduce testing and therefore reduce the number of positives you find.
I think we can all agree on one thing....Buckle up and pull on the yellow strap, because this here is going to be the wildest ride in the wil... country

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, the biggest shame is that the NBA and airlines has tests that can produce results in 15 minutes, but we can’t give our children the same test before they enter a school building.
We could have if we invested the time and money into ramping up testing production. We had 5 months from when most schools closed to figure it out, instead we got political rhetoric and no real plan across most of the country. Covid denial and demands that “school must open no matter what” is not a plan. Another example of the botched response to all of this...but we can’t change the past. Maybe now the focus should still be on ramping up testing and tracing capability and developing a comprehensive plan so that in a month or 2 more schools are ready to open. But that would require a desire to increase testing and admission that the original plan was a train wreck waiting to happen. We aren’t getting either of those things any time soon. Maybe there’s hope for the second half of the school year.

Chip Chipperson

disneygeek90

South Florida school already having issues. Who’s surprised?
D976C193-8A95-4ABF-8F88-9AD72C2AE083.jpeg

Last edited:

oceanbreeze77

View attachment 492905

Honestly at this point, forcing the reopening of schools is whack. I get some areas trying it, but its not working. Everyone sees what is happening nationwide, there is an obvious risk for students and staff, no more saying "kids dont get it", it is happening right in front of our eyes. So many states have worked hard to control the spikes and outbreaks, lets not make it all for nothing.

PS...Keep your eyes on Iowa right now.

As far as University goes, you can put Greek life on suspension...the parties are still happening.Trust me, I was big in the greek system, I know. You can tell kids, oh ya move into the dorms but dont mingle....they're mingling. So many are underestimating the level of responsibility that is necessary right now.

Chip Chipperson

There’s a nose test that can provide results in 15 minutes now.

Right, I'm just asking if the NBA is using it because I know they had been using a saliva test that was developed with their help (comparing their nasal swab test to the saliva test), but it was still a 24-hour wait for results. If they're getting the rapid tests now then it certainly says a lot about our priorities as a nation.

Supposedly, scientists are developing a saliva test that would give results at home like a pregnancy test but it still needs FDA approval. That would be a big help if people could just spit on a strip of paper and wait 10-15 minutes before going out. Of course, it would still require people to willingly do it and not pretend that this virus isn't a big deal, but at least it could help offices, restaurants and maybe even concerts open up at full capacity again.

DVCakaCarlF

Right, I'm just asking if the NBA is using it because I know they had been using a saliva test that was developed with their help (comparing their nasal swab test to the saliva test), but it was still a 24-hour wait for results. If they're getting the rapid tests now then it certainly says a lot about our priorities as a nation.

Supposedly, scientists are developing a saliva test that would give results at home like a pregnancy test but it still needs FDA approval. That would be a big help if people could just spit on a strip of paper and wait 10-15 minutes before going out. Of course, it would still require people to willingly do it and not pretend that this virus isn't a big deal, but at least it could help offices, restaurants and maybe even concerts open up at full capacity again.
There are two tests, I believe the NBA predominately uses the saliva test. The airlines have two options for their pilots. You can take a 24 HR saliva test and wait at home, or take the nose swab test and wait in crew quarters.

Our priorities as a nation are split up between the election, police, war on terror, immigration, economy, back to school, racial injustice, and, somewhere in there, corona.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
View attachment 492905

That’s going to happen on every college campus in the country. Any school that is open for physical classes with students living on campus has accepted that reality and is willing to live with it. At this point it doesn’t seem like the country has any appetite for doing much of anything anyway. With the recent guidance to scale back testing and the lack of any strong conviction to trace any cases my gut feeling is we are just going to let it rip until a vaccine comes out and hope for the best. It’s a shame for the businesses and individuals who will suffer as a result of that but it is what it is.

disneygeek90

That’s going to happen on every college campus in the country. Any school that is open for physical classes with students living on campus has accepted that reality and is willing to live with it. At this point it doesn’t seem like the country has any appetite for doing much of anything anyway. With the recent guidance to scale back testing and the lack of any strong conviction to trace any cases my gut feeling is we are just going to let it rip until a vaccine comes out and hope for the best. It’s a shame for the businesses and individuals who will suffer as a result of that but it is what it is.
A Seminole county high school has a confirmed case, families of the students that were in close contact have been notified. I'm not really sure how people expected school to go well.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
New opinion piece from the WSJ. Long one but interesting. The title is a bit misleading as it really isn’t a “all lockdowns are bad” article. Kinda goes through how we got here.

_caleb

Honestly at this point, forcing the reopening of schools is whack. I get some areas trying it, but its not working. Everyone sees what is happening nationwide, there is an obvious risk for students and staff, no more saying "kids dont get it", it is happening right in front of our eyes. So many states have worked hard to control the spikes and outbreaks, lets not make it all for nothing.

PS...Keep your eyes on Iowa right now.

As far as University goes, you can put Greek life on suspension...the parties are still happening.Trust me, I was big in the greek system, I know. You can tell kids, oh ya move into the dorms but dont mingle....they're mingling. So many are underestimating the level of responsibility that is necessary right now.
I think some school districts don't want to open but are being pressured to (by politicians and parents). Seems some are opening the schools knowing that exposure/quarantine rules will force them to close again. Seems risky, unnecessary, and cruel, but at least a re-closure due to positive tests and exposure can provide some coverage in support of keeping schools closed.

On a related note (and more on-topic), I'd think Disney would be leading some sort of effort to be involved with virtual school curricula, but I haven't seen anything about that. Maybe even on the local level to get central Florida students into the parks (like field trips)? Anyone aware of anything like this?

SamusAranX

New opinion piece from the WSJ. Long one but interesting. The title is a bit misleading as it really isn’t a “all lockdowns are bad” article. Kinda goes through how we got here.

Love this article. Very balanced and sobering take. The answers aren't easy. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom