Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 12.41.20 PM.png

Jrb1979

I don’t think there is any containing it. Only delaying it. With Europe starting to rise again more and more, it just further validates this. Once your start to return to normal life, here we go again.
I don't know. Maybe cause the border is closed between Canada and the US but our numbers have been dropping since everything has reopened. I think the goal now is get numbers as low as possible so if cases rise again they can do contact tracing and control it better

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't know. Maybe cause the border is closed between Canada and the US but our numbers have been dropping since everything has reopened. I think the goal now is get numbers as low as possible so if cases rise again they can do contact tracing and control it better
New Zealand has had a similar approach. Immediate reaction to new cases and trace immediately. In the US we seem to be more interested in challenging experts, disputing facts and claiming hardships. I think what some of the others here are saying is there’s no hope for that approach in the US now anyway so why bother trying to hold it back, just let it rip and learn to live with the infections and death that come with it. We all gotta die some time.

Jrb1979

For now. I imagine you will follow Europe. Could be wrong though. You don’t have the type of travel between countries that Europe does.
We might see cases rise but I don't think that much. It helps that our only border is to the US which is closed. Yes you can fly into Canada but there is a mandatory quarantine and from everything I have heard they are following up on people.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We might see cases rise but I don't think that much. It helps that our only border is to the US which is closed. Yes you can fly into Canada but there is a mandatory quarantine and from everything I have heard they are following up on people.
The virus is never really gone. Something all should remember. And I think Europe is starting to get that through everyone’s heads. Or at least it should.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
New Zealand has had a similar approach. Immediate reaction to new cases and trace immediately. In the US we seem to be more interested in challenging experts, disputing facts and claiming hardships. I think what some of the others here are saying is there’s no hope for that approach in the US now anyway so why bother trying to hold it back, just let it rip and learn to live with the infections and death that come with it. We all gotta die some time.
If you’re suggesting I’m saying that, that is incorrect. I’m just following what is happening throughout the world, especially Europe. The virus is going to last and last in this world. And locking down this country or relocking down that country won’t change that. It can buy you time. But as soon as you loosen the grips, bang.
People started moving a bit in Europe after long lockdowns. And look what’s starting to come back.

Jrb1979

I saddens me to hear that. IMO in the long run its going to be much worse for the whole US. The longer it takes to get under control, the longer people will avoid traveling as much as they used to. Tourism is going to be hurting for a long while and a lot of things are probably going to close or downsize. Its just going to trickle down from there. Forget recession, depression is going to happen if things don't get better.

Jrb1979

The virus is never really gone. Something all should remember. And I think Europe is starting to get that through everyone’s heads. Or at least it should.
I know the virus is never really gone but the lower you can keep the numbers the better you can do contact tracing. Canada has just released an app that many have downloaded for just that purpose. The goal should be to keep outbreaks from happening. When you have over 5000 cases a day that's impossible to do.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I know the virus is never really gone but the lower you can keep the numbers the better you can do contact tracing. Canada has just released an app that many have downloaded for just that purpose. The goal should be to keep outbreaks from happening. When you have over 5000 cases a day that's impossible to do.
Good luck. You’re slightly more isolated than Europe so maybe you will do better. But for them, I have a feeling this is only the beginning of a really rough patch. They could always go into full lockdown again I guess. But the writing is on the wall.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you’re suggesting I’m saying that, that is incorrect. I’m just following what is happening throughout the world, especially Europe. The virus is going to last and last in this world. And locking down this country or relocking down that country won’t change that. It can buy you time. But as soon as you loosen the grips, bang.
Whoever said that the goal was to eliminate the virus completely through restrictions? That’s been the straw man argument from the beginning against having any restrictions at all. If I didn’t believe that any restrictions would matter and the virus was going to do what it’s going to do no matter what then i‘d be ed off that we have any restrictions at all. Why on Earth would it make sense to limit anyone’s activity if it doesn’t matter?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Whoever said that the goal was to eliminate the virus completely through restrictions? That’s been the straw man argument from the beginning against having any restrictions at all. If I didn’t believe that any restrictions would matter and the virus was going to do what it’s going to do no matter what then i‘d be ****ed off that we have any restrictions at all. Why on Earth would it make sense to limit anyone’s activity if it doesn’t matter?
I’m not making any argument. I’m just accepting what I now see as reality. My optimism for any sort of real control for the world as a whole outside of lockdowns erodes each day.

Jrb1979

I’m not making any argument. I’m just accepting what I now see as reality. My optimism for any sort of control for the world as a whole outside of lockdowns erodes each day.
We don't have lockdowns here now and we have it mostly under control. If all countries just followed social distancing, mask wearing and had some sort of contact tracing in place things would be much better

Heppenheimer

They can move around our country. Anyone that comes into our country has to quarantine for 14 days. I don't see that ending any time soon.
It's also much harder to come and go between the provinces in Canada due to the sheer distances involved and the lack of a comprehensive freeway system. I recall a few years back, my wife and I were considering a driving trip west through Canada. After mapping the driving times, I realized that unless we drove for 12+ hours per day, it would have taken us several days to even reach the western border of Ontario. With the interstate system, a comparable east-west distance in the US takes about 1/4 of the time to drive, and doesn't have anything like the long stretches of barely populated territory along Lake Superior's northern shore. All reasons why the virus can spread from region to region in the US more easily than it can in Canada.

We ended up scrapping that idea and flying to Disneyland and Hawaii instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom