Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since the buffet discussion is slightly off topic, to bring it back around...Disney makes a ton of money off of Character buffet and even non-character sit down restaurants. With indoor dining capacity very limited and buffets off for now that’s another reduction in profits for the mouse. They lost up charge events like the evening parties for Halloween and Christmas and things like dessert fireworks and all of that adds up. The only lever they had to pull was a reduction in expense which is what this reduction in hours will accomplish. I think their hope is if someone was planning a trip to WDW anyway that losing an hour or 2 each day off of the parks won‘t cause them to cancel. Probably true.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since the buffet discussion is slightly off topic, to bring it back around...Disney makes a ton of money off of Character buffet and even non-character sit down restaurants. With indoor dining capacity very limited and buffets off for now that’s another reduction in profits for the mouse. They lost up charge events like the evening parties for Halloween and Christmas and things like dessert fireworks and all of that adds up. The only lever they had to pull was a reduction in expense which is what this reduction in hours will accomplish. I think their hope is if someone was planning a trip to WDW anyway that losing an hour or 2 each day off of the parks won‘t cause them to cancel. Probably true.
Back on topic....

I expect tons of cost cutting measures.

But let’s be serious: no cuts stop the flood of losses they are current experiencing. Mass free spending crowds down to this??

I’ll keep saying it: the model is broke . “101”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Back on topic....

I expect tons of cost cutting measures.

But let’s be serious: no cuts stop the flood of losses they are current experiencing. Mass free spending crowds down to this??

I’ll keep saying it: the model is broke . “101”
I don’t think anyone is under the delusion that there is any way back to normal profits any time soon. What they are doing today is just attempting to ensure that they make more money with the parks open then with them closed. So not even positive operating income, just better than accumulating fixed costs while the parks are closed. Considering the stock is only down 15% now from its 52 week and all time high I‘d say the street believes their long term prospects are still solid.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t think anyone is under the delusion that there is any way back to normal profits any time soon. What they are doing today is just attempting to ensure that they make more money with the parks open then with them closed. So not even positive operating income, just better than accumulating fixed costs while the parks are closed. Considering the stock is only down 15% now from its 52 week and all time high I‘d say the street believes their long term prospects are still solid.
I’m sure that’s the goal...I just don’t believe it’s attainable.

The stock has nothing to do with the business. The federal reserve bailed out the stock owners privately...that’s the “responses” from the housing crash - apparently.

Jrb1979

The stock has nothing to do with the business. The federal reserve bailed out the stock owners privately...that’s the “responses” from the housing crash - apparently.
I don't either. The things they make their big money on isn't happening right now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

We will find out. Chapek has been very specific that they would not open or keep open a park that doesn’t have a positive contribution to net operating margin. I think they will just continue to cut costs to make sure that doesn’t happen. Rides or attractions with high operating costs and medium or low approval ratings will close down, less transport or less frequent transport, closing stores or restaurants that aren’t contributing a positive margin, closing more resorts and forcing guests into more expensive accommodation.

Jrb1979

We will find out. Chapek has been very specific that they would not open or keep open a park that doesn’t have a positive contribution to net operating margin. I think they will just continue to cut costs to make sure that doesn’t happen. Rides or attractions with high operating costs and medium or low approval ratings will close down, less transport or less frequent transport, closing stores or restaurants that aren’t contributing a positive margin, closing more resorts and forcing guests into more expensive accommodation.
IMO its a bad way to do business. The more they cut the more people will stay away.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IMO its a bad way to do business. The more they cut the more people will stay away.
When the alternative is to close and then nobody can go does it really matter? You will still have some customers that will want to go no matter what. If the revenues from that group exceed the reduced costs then it’s good business vs just closing. Disney is being very transparent with what’s open and closed and the park hours. Nobody who goes should be disappointed by those things. I don’t see the downside for Disney to at least attempting to reduce costs and keep the parks open from a business prospective.

Jrb1979

When the alternative is to close and then nobody can go does it really matter? You will still have some customers that will want to go no matter what. If the revenues from that group exceed the reduced costs then it’s good business vs just closing. Disney is being very transparent with what’s open and closed and the park hours. Nobody who goes should be disappointed by those things. I don’t see the downside for Disney to at least attempting to reduce costs and keep the parks open from a business prospective.
In the end I don't think it's going to matter what they do. Unless things go back to normal soon, which so highly doubt, Disney is going to be hurting. Disney is built on people walking shoulder to shoulder to make a profit They won't go bankrupt but a lot more cuts are going to happen. Enjoy the attractions that are almost done cause I have a feeling it will be awhile before any new ones are added.

MonorailCoral

I do: People will be far more prone to remembering a bad experience and telling 10 other people about it, than simply not having an experience to share.

Personally, I'd much rather have no experience there than a bad one...Keeps a bad taste out of my mouth and keeps me looking forward to the next time, rather than wishing I hadn't experienced the last one and leaving less of a chance that I'll plan a return.

They may be looking short-term by attempting to stay at least barely margin-positive by being open, but the long-term consequences in terms of word-of-mouth of bad experiences may be even more devastating for future return-business...Then again, short-term taking priority over long-term has been their M.O. for about a generation now.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
[QUOTE="techgeek, post: 9382323, member:

From a societal standpoint, is the general public of 2022 going to be interested in packing shoulder to shoulder in the hub for fireworks? Having a fine dining experience sitting 2 feet from a neighboring table? Being shoved like a sardine into a monorail car with questionable air circulation? How much is our overall acceptance of these things being is redefined on a massive level?

[/QUOTE]
Or professional sports, concerts, marathons..

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I do: People will be far more prone to remembering a bad experience and telling 10 other people about it, than simply not having an experience to share.

Personally, I'd much rather have no experience there than a bad one...Keeps a bad taste out of my mouth and keeps me looking forward to the next time, rather than wishing I hadn't experienced the last one and leaving less of a chance that I'll plan a return.

They may be looking short-term by attempting to stay at least barely margin-positive by being open, but the long-term consequences in terms of word-of-mouth of bad experiences may be even more devastating for future return-business...Then again, short-term taking priority over long-term has been their M.O. for about a generation now.
There’s no secrets going in. You know there’s no parades and no fireworks, you know there’s no characters in the park, you know there’s no buffets and limited dining options, you know you have to wear a mask and social distance, you know what the park hours are, you know which attractions are closed. The people going know what they are getting into. There was an article posted in the other thread that guest satisfaction surveys were overwhelmingly positive since re-opening. Much better than normal times. People who would have a “bad experience” with all that stuff missing and the new rules just aren’t going. I don’t think it will be devastating for future return business. It’s a lot of locals and DVC owners right now anyway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In the end I don't think it's going to matter what they do. Unless things go back to normal soon, which so highly doubt, Disney is going to be hurting. Disney is built on people walking shoulder to shoulder to make a profit They won't go bankrupt but a lot more cuts are going to happen. Enjoy the attractions that are almost done cause I have a feeling it will be awhile before any new ones are added.
Isn’t that the whole point though? Disney is going to be hurting with limited customers. If they close the parks they are going to be hurting with no customers too. Capital spending is going to be scaled back either way. That doesn’t change of the parks are open or closed.

seabreezept813

I actually work really hard to make sure we don't eat all junk at home...autism-related food issues are a nightmare so while we do try to eat healthy food when we're home, A LOT of it is very repetitive. As a person who loves variety and trying new foods...our vacations are the only times I get to spread my wings, so to speak, and the buffets allow me to do that without having to worry about someone going hungry because the restaurant doesn't have something they like.

The first trip I took with my husband (at the time boyfriend) and stepdaughter, my husband complained all he ate was burgers—we had the QS meal plan. He’s Brazilian so it was a true sacrifice for him not to eat meat, rice, and beans. We did the sit down meal plan last trip and he was in heaven—all the steak. I am an open to close park person, could care less if I eat because I want to be doing all the rides, but this is the best compromise to get him to enjoy full park days. Worth every cent that I can say okay after this ride you get your steak and beer 😂

rowrbazzle

There’s no secrets going in. You know there’s no parades and no fireworks, you know there’s no characters in the park, you know there’s no buffets and limited dining options, you know you have to wear a mask and social distance, you know what the park hours are, you know which attractions are closed. The people going know what they are getting into. There was an article posted in the other thread that guest satisfaction surveys were overwhelmingly positive since re-opening. Much better than normal times. People who would have a “bad experience” with all that stuff missing and the new rules just aren’t going. I don’t think it will be devastating for future return business. It’s a lot of locals and DVC owners right now anyway.

Maybe things take a turn when the hours get reduced. Or if Disney starts reducing staffing and lowering capacity further, then people probably won't be pleased. I don't think that's happened yet though. And, from what I've seen, people do seem pleased with their trips since the parks reopened.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe things take a turn when the hours get reduced. Or if Disney starts reducing staffing and lowering capacity further, then people probably won't be pleased. I don't think that's happened yet though. And, from what I've seen, people do seem pleased with their trips since the parks reopened.
One of the only complaints I’ve seen from people who have gone is a general lack of places to eat, especially in the resorts. People couldn’t get a sit down meal at their own hotel. With even lower crowds that could help that issue, but if they then cut back on restaurants and things like transport that could lead to more complaints.

jt04

September's are traditionally slow season so this isn't surprising.

Many people figuring out school season also. Expect hours will be added back as holidays near.

Getachew

September's are traditionally slow season so this isn't surprising.

Many people figuring out school season also. Expect hours will be added back as holidays near.

This is usually Epcot food and wine time, or close to it. Usually the hours are increased on Friday and Saturday.

Things definitely different now than normal park hours being cut.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom