Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would say the buffet could still exist, you just wouldn’t serve yourself anymore. They could have one server per every 2 or 3 pans of food. Kinda like the guy that cuts the meat or makes an omelette for you now. It’s still a way cheaper option for the restaurants than having individual servers for each table and all made to order food. As @BoarderPhreak said the buffets are a major money maker for Disney so they will find a way to have them going forward but I could see them being a modified experience. Things like the free buffet at hotels may go away.
Serving stations will greatly increase overhead/labor costs...

Disney isn’t game for that without truly ridiculous prices

Jrb1979

It’s actually both.

My stance on Disney is pretty straight forward: make them work for it.

Remember that...ye fool’s...in this recession. Make them earn it.
We all know that's not happening. Too many are addicted to the Mouse. I went to the parks about 6 years ago with my nieces and had a great time. Then I went back 2 years ago and something changed I didn't enjoy it as much. I just kept thinking why people pay so much for this. My favorite part of the MK was the non IP attractions. I honestly can't stand all the IP taking over the park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are Disney buffets really that bad? Perhaps it's all the Pixie Dust interfering with my (usually quite discerning) taste buds, but among all the offerings, I'm usually able to find myself a good number of tasty things to eat.
It’s the whole package.

It’s not necessarily bad food...it’s bad value. $60/$45 dinner prices are what you’re looking at...

Would you order you’re 6 year old a porterhouse at a steakhouse??

And before someone says “experience”...they’re ripping you off. Still. 30 seconds with tigger and an autograph book doesn’t carry that kind of FMV.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We all know that's not happening. Too many are addicted to the Mouse. I went to the parks about 6 years ago with my nieces and had a great time. Then I went back 2 years ago and something changed I didn't enjoy it as much. I just kept thinking why people pay so much for this. My favorite part of the MK was the non IP attractions. I honestly can't stand all the IP taking over the park.
That’s the management...I warn...I lecture...I scream...nobody listens.

It’s kinda like waiting till the tsunami crashes on the beach cause you were curious what the back of the wave looked like?

LittleBuford

It’s the whole package.

It’s not necessarily bad food...it’s bad value. $60/$45 dinner prices are what you’re looking at...

And before someone says “experience”...they’re ripping you off. Still. 30 seconds with tigger and an autograph book doesn’t carry that kind of FMV.

Oh, value isn't something I look for when it comes to Disney food. I know anything I eat or drink there is going to be costlier than it would be elsewhere. But the overall experience (sorry!) is worth it for me. Others will disagree (and I respect that), but I personally feel I get my money's worth (and then some) at Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Serving stations will greatly increase overhead/labor costs...

Disney isn’t game for that without truly ridiculous prices
They don’t pay the servers very much. If you have to bring on 10 extra servers for a buffet that’s an extra $150 in cost. Most of those buffets have more than 150 people at them who usually stay about an hour so you are talking about an extra dollar per person at most. No reason they can’t raise the price an extra buck to remain break even. It would probably be a combination of reducing some of the offerings, adding servers to the stations and charging a little more. They can still maintain a variety of food options and keep the characters. That’s what most people are paying for.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They don’t pay the servers very much. If you have to bring on 10 extra servers for a buffet that’s an extra $150 in cost. Most of those buffets have more than 150 people at them who usually stay about an hour so you are talking about an extra dollar per person at most. No reason they can’t raise the price an extra buck to remain break even. It would probably be a combination of reducing some of the offerings, adding servers to the stations and charging a little more. They can still maintain a variety of food options and keep the characters. That’s what most people are paying for.
I’m talking the logistics of separate setups, more plates, more bussers, etc.

You’d think Disney would care about those costs at those prices...they do.

$15 more pp...in a heartbeat.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s the whole package.

Depends on the age of your kids and crowd levels in the parks. If your kids want to meet characters and your 2 choices are stand in line for an hour in the park to meet Mickey or pay $50 for a buffet where the kids get to meet him and I also get fed, it’s well worth it to me. I may not think the $50 is worth it for just the food.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Depends on the age of your kids and crowd levels in the parks. If your kids want to meet characters and your 2 choices are stand in line for an hour in the park to meet Mickey or pay $50 for a buffet where the kids get to meet him and I also get fed, it’s well worth it to me. I may not think the $50 is worth it for just the food.
Agree to disagree...

This is the “it’s worth it TO ME!” Argument that ends up driving prices across the board for everything and everyone.

To be clear: I’ll go to one occasionally...but i’m Talking the “feedback on my ADRs” threads...take a look...and then send some Prinivil to the OP

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m talking the logistics of separate setups, more plates, more bussers, etc.

You’d think Disney would care about those costs at those prices...they do.

$15 more pp...in a heartbeat.
No need for more plates or bussers. It’s a one time cost to change the layout in the restaurants to have servers behind the buffet stations. Most aren’t setup that way now but could be easily changed. The rest of the experience is the same. You still get large crowds seated and eating simultaneously and moving through quickly.

ImperfectPixie

I’m ok with that on vacation...

But if the cart is because you just can’t carry it...it’s not a “vacation” thing
I actually work really hard to make sure we don't eat all junk at home...autism-related food issues are a nightmare so while we do try to eat healthy food when we're home, A LOT of it is very repetitive. As a person who loves variety and trying new foods...our vacations are the only times I get to spread my wings, so to speak, and the buffets allow me to do that without having to worry about someone going hungry because the restaurant doesn't have something they like.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I actually work really hard to make sure we don't eat all junk at home...autism-related food issues are a nightmare so while we do try to eat healthy food when we're home, A LOT of it is very repetitive. As a person who loves variety and trying new foods...our vacations are the only times I get to spread my wings, so to speak, and the buffets allow me to do that without having to worry about someone going hungry because the restaurant doesn't have something they like.
None of that sounds unreasonable...I will maintain that there are other better food quality items to try in wdw.

But I totally get what you’re coming from.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No need for more plates or bussers. It’s a one time cost to change the layout in the restaurants to have servers behind the buffet stations. Most aren’t setup that way now but could be easily changed. The rest of the experience is the same. You still get large crowds seated and eating simultaneously and moving through quickly.
I don’t have Disney food experience...but I have ops experience and I don’t believe they would look at it this way. Any disruption/expense is a huge one to them.

BoarderPhreak

We generally don't do buffets or character meals (ever) but did hit a few on the last couple of visits because of DD. That said, Crystal Palace is a fine breakfast and Diamond Horseshoe Revue has excellent pork (and beer!). Were they worth the money? Meh. But we crossed them off the list and don't regret the experiences or the food.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a very backwards attitude to me. I'm far more likely to be free and loose with my wallet if I don't feel like I'm being nickel-and-dimed to death.
I agree...but it’s NOT the management philosophy

Disney used to run without concern to the fringes...it was the cost of doing business.

But now there are no acceptable margins.

Ever see the spot checks on the bartenders pouring? They have a thing with tubes that they have to “pass” or they face discipline.

Or why is there a 90 second wait on the automated drink fountains?

Margins. It is what it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom