Quarantine from NY, NJ, CT Ends

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know 2 people working from home. 1 has been told not to expect to return to the office until September at the earliest - she's in NY state. The other holds a fairly high position and also has an immune system issue, so she's working from home indefinitely. She's just outside of New England.
I’ve been working from home for years...

But the amount of flexibility in the job required for effective work from home is not as widespread as it’s being made out to be.

Sure google can do it...I can do it based on my work...but anything requiring consistent staffing/presence is a non-starter.

The Mom

Premium Member
I know 2 people working from home. 1 has been told not to expect to return to the office until September at the earliest - she's in NY state. The other holds a fairly high position and also has an immune system issue, so she's working from home indefinitely. She's just outside of New England.

I know 2 people still working from home in NYC. 1 may never go back to an office. My son was working from home in Kansas, but now has a hybrid schedule. The same with some of my neighbors - they have hybrid schedules.

I also have other neighbors who are essential workers, and cannot work from home.

The Mom

Premium Member
They suck...so I’d assume it’s all of them?

If I recall they only did ny-nj-ct as a political stunt in the first place. Which backfired in epic proportions.

If I recall they did it because many people from that area were trying to escape to FL when NY/NJ/CT were the national hot spots. Especially snowbirds. Now things are just reversed. And I'm sure will change as the major infection sites continue to change over time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If I recall they did it because many people from that area were trying to escape to FL when NY/NJ/CT were the national hot spots. Especially snowbirds. Now things are just reversed. And I'm sure will change as the major infection sites continue to change over time.
There was SOME logic behind it...some.

But it ended up looking kind of silly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know 2 people still working from home in NYC. 1 may never go back to an office. My son was working from home in Kansas, but now has a hybrid schedule. The same with some of my neighbors - they have hybrid schedules.

I also have other neighbors who are essential workers, and cannot work from home.
The hybrids are the hard scenario as far as travel.

As long as the quarantines are In place...the hybrid workers get thrown in with the full time.

SamusAranX

They suck...so I’d assume it’s all of them?

If I recall they only did ny-nj-ct as a political stunt in the first place. Which backfired in epic proportions.

might have been politically motivated, but let's face it, NY/NJ were the hotspots in April/May so a 14 day quarantine was needed regardless to discourage visitors from there.

SamusAranX

They didn't end it soon enough. Once the crisis was over, the restrictions should have been removed and applied to the next hot spot. However, when the hot spot is in one part of your state, it becomes difficult to isolate those residents.

The old "part of Florida breaking off into the Atlantic Ocean" is looking mighty appealing right now, should that chunk be South Florida. They can join the Bahamas.

ImperfectPixie

I’ve been working from home for years...

But the amount of flexibility in the job required for effective work from home is not as widespread as it’s being made out to be.

Sure google can do it...I can do it based on my work...but anything requiring consistent staffing/presence is a non-starter.
It's not at all. Even my sister (who has been working 2 days at home/3 at the office for years) still has to go to the office regularly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They didn't end it soon enough. Once the crisis was over, the restrictions should have been removed and applied to the next hot spot. However, when the hot spot is in one part of your state, it becomes difficult to isolate those residents.
In respect to terms and conditions..:I won’t say what it was, Mom. 🤭

beertiki

Here in Key West, tourism is dead. Lots of bars closed, almost every big event was canceled. Just like WDW, who wants to go on vacation to a place that is only a fraction of what it was. My family really wants to go somewhere, but we don't want to fly, and the idea of a long space mountain queue with masks is a hard no.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
might have been politically motivated, but let's face it, NY/NJ were the hotspots in April/May so a 14 day quarantine was needed regardless to discourage visitors from there.

That would make sense...IF they followed it up by adding the hot zones in May,June, July

I might have missed it...but did they?

You didn't miss it.

The FL travel ban was against the citizens of the tristate hotspot. It never added the other hotspots of the U.S. nor the World. And it didn't stop Floridians from visiting those hotspots and coming back to FL with the virus, which is how FL got infected anyway. And it took a long time to do any sort of lockdown of travel within the state as community spread was happening.

As a matter of public policy it was completely ineffectual. It blamed outsiders for its problems and thus delayed internal actions that should have happened much earlier than they did.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You didn't miss it.

The FL travel ban was against the citizens of the tristate hotspot. It never added the other hotspots of the U.S. nor the World. And it did stop Floridians from visiting those hotspots and coming back to FL with the virus, which is how FL got infected anyway. And it took a long time to do any sort of lockdown of travel within the state as community spread was happening.

As a matter of public policy it was completely ineffectual. It blamed outsiders for its problems and thus delayed internal actions that should have happened much earlier than they did.
I could sum it up in two sentences...but I’d have to go to THAT forum to do it 😉

carolina_yankee

The quarantine period for people traveling from Florida to NJ or NY is based on a 10 day rolling average. Since Florida had an 8 65% positive rate Wednesday and is falling the quarantine should be over by the end of August based on reasonable expectations of a continued fall. Even if it just falls to less than 5% a day the quarantine should be lifted.

It's going to take more than getting the positivity under 10%. Daily new cases per 100,000 also has to be below 10. Right now, it's in the 30s. For Florida's population, the daily new cases can't exceed 2100 or so for the period of the rolling average in order to come off the list. I don't see that for quite some time. It's a tough metric, and a bit silly to to see states that flirt with 10/100,000 pop on and off the list on a weekly basis (Delaware, e.g.), at least it's still a metric and not a political whim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom