On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

LSLS

And the metric goal is even smaller for Disney this way. When the studio releases a movie in theaters, it splits the take. By dropping this on Disney+, the company takes everything, which is why exhibitors are saying nasty things about Disney right now.

Disney selling Mulan at $30 a pop (really, $37 since you need the subscription) means that 10 million sales would provide $337 million in revenue (technically, it might be as little as $256 million, based on current non-Star ARPU, but I think that's low in this specific instance).

For perspective, Deadline had Aladdin's total profit as $356 million.

I think a fair estimate for when Mulan matches/surpasses Aladdin in "theatrical" revenue is 15 million in Disney+ sales.

NOTE: This post has an edit because Rowrbazzle correctly pointed out that I mistakenly said 1 million originally when I meant 10 million. I've updated the information to prevent additional confusion.

Isn't that number net profit? Meaning after all expenses? That would mean they would need enough buys to cover all that as well. I think its highly possible, but not sure it gets that much profit.

spock8113

It's fairly basic: The Disney Company has lost Disney's main spirit of "Affordable family entertainment."
They have lost their way by looking at the bottom line only and that has devastated "company" morale.
As a side note, I hate the new massive hotels that resemble "Biff's Pleasure Palace" from BTF II and the ticket prices are just plain insulting.
I haven't been since they started work in the new ToyStoryLand and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and I don't see myself returning soon.
With Florida being the #2 state in case numbers, I just assume stay away for everyone's sake. And don't forget the gastronomic unemployment rate in Orange and Osceola Counties!
To me, Disney has turned the whole organization into what my German relatives would call "Ein Clǘster Riesendurcheinander."
Funny how Disneyland is still closed but the "world" is open? That's DeSantis and his "everything's fine" mentality and the now "not happenin' Republican Convention in Jacksonville. I think they were banking on thousands going to the convention and then going to DW and leaving from Orlando. It spreads the money around along with the virus. And don't forget the basket ball bubble! I'm really surprised DW has remained open this long. I thought they had the upper hand with early notification at their parks in China.
Not only layoffs coming but another closure as well with flu season and a possible virus resurgence.

wdw71fan

It's fairly basic: The Disney Company has lost Disney's main spirit of "Affordable family entertainment."
They have lost their way by looking at the bottom line only and that has devastated "company" morale.
As a side note, I hate the new massive hotels that resemble "Biff's Pleasure Palace" from BTF II and the ticket prices are just plain insulting.
I haven't been since they started work in the new ToyStoryLand and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and I don't see myself returning soon.
With Florida being the #2 state in case numbers, I just assume stay away for everyone's sake. And don't forget the gastronomic unemployment rate in Orange and Osceola Counties!
To me, Disney has turned the whole organization into what my German relatives would call "Ein Clǘster Riesendurcheinander."
Funny how Disneyland is still closed but the "world" is open? That's DeSantis and his "everything's fine" mentality and the now "not happenin' Republican Convention in Jacksonville. I think they were banking on thousands going to the convention and then going to DW and leaving from Orlando. It spreads the money around along with the virus. And don't forget the basket ball bubble! I'm really surprised DW has remained open this long. I thought they had the upper hand with early notification at their parks in China.
Not only layoffs coming but another closure as well with flu season and a possible virus resurgence.

So whats your solution? Layoff 90,000 employees and drive them all into bankruptcy and ruin? Be real.. Either we get back to work as a country or we're done.. You can't have it both ways.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not entirely accurate. Most of Disneyland's development was funded thru WDP and ABC. Walt arranged to keep the Monorail and Steam Trains under his private company and Disneyland leased them back from Walt for millions upon millions. That money didnt go to any development, but to Walt's pockets directly.

He siphoned a ton off... resources, personal, etc. That was the rub... he basically started a private company, raided WDP storehouses and hallways at will, then kept it all under WED... and around that same general time was the whole name licensing deal that was decried by everyone.

GoneViral

Isn't that number net profit? Meaning after all expenses? That would mean they would need enough buys to cover all that as well. I think its highly possible, but not sure it gets that much profit.

There's a bunch of unknowns here since digital sales remain a largely hidden subject. Thankfully, Disney is better than most at transparency.

My point here is more than when a movie earns a billion dollars at the box office, the studio only earns a fraction of that, as referenced with Aladdin.

That film theoretically earned $1.05 billion. Deadline calculates its profit as one-third of that. With a vertically integrated release on Disney+, the new equivalent to home video, Disney only to sell a fraction to make the same money.

When we discuss Mulan debuting day and date on Disney+, we're talking about the modernization of Disney's theatrical release system.

During its latest earnings report, Disney has just threatened to throw out the theatrical distribution playbook that's been in place for nearly a century. And they're the studio with the marketshare to do it.

FWIW, just like you, I don't -think- Mulan will do that well. However, Universal bragged that Trolls World Tour earned close to $100 million during its first few weeks on digital. And it's...you know, a far cry from a Disney animated movie.

Jefro

So whats your solution? Layoff 90,000 employees and drive them all into bankruptcy and ruin? Be real.. Either we get back to work as a country or we're done.. You can't have it both ways.

I'm not sure that we can get back to work as a country. Not on the scale with this looming. It's not an either/or - that ship has sailed and sunk. We tried opening up and here we are. I think it's more about what now either we take our medicine and get this thing done or we keep on opening and closing indefinitely till there's nothing left to open.

HauntedMansionFLA

There's a bunch of unknowns here since digital sales remain a largely hidden subject. Thankfully, Disney is better than most at transparency.

My point here is more than when a movie earns a billion dollars at the box office, the studio only earns a fraction of that, as referenced with Aladdin.

That film theoretically earned $1.05 billion. Deadline calculates its profit as one-third of that. With a vertically integrated release on Disney+, the new equivalent to home video, Disney only to sell a fraction to make the same money.

When we discuss Mulan debuting day and date on Disney+, we're talking about the modernization of Disney's theatrical release system.

During its latest earnings report, Disney has just threatened to throw out the theatrical distribution playbook that's been in place for nearly a century. And they're the studio with the marketshare to do it.

FWIW, just like you, I don't -think- Mulan will do that well. However, Universal bragged that Trolls World Tour earned close to $100 million during its first few weeks on digital. And it's...you know, a far cry from a Disney animated movie.
Do you think people would dish out $29 to see the original Star Wars on Disney +??

GoneViral

Do you think people would dish out $29 to see the original Star Wars on Disney +??

Well, they don't have to do that since it's already on the service. I do think that when Star Wars X or whatever it's called comes out in December of 2023, people will happily pay $29 to watch it in, say, January or early February of 2024 at home.

This Mulan release sets the stage for that.

HauntedMansionFLA

Well, they don't have to do that since it's already on the service. I do think that when Star Wars X or whatever it's called comes out in December of 2023, people will happily pay $29 to watch it in, say, January or early February of 2024 at home.

This Mulan release sets the stage for that.
I meant the original releases of the three movies before Lucas started adding and altering the movies.

Brer Oswald

Yeah, that’s been kicking around the Internet a lot lately. IDK why it’s hard for people to accept he was a businessman who also cared about quality and innovation. Those kinds of leaders do exist.

I also read a blog from a film history professor who said the only differentiation between Walt Disney and Fleischer was that Disney marketed animation as “hard to do” and gained public respect. That’s one of the most idiotic statements I’ve ever read. The alleged professor didn’t mention animation quality, story, music, characterization, etc. I wonder how he feels about Chuck Jones or Studio Ghibli.
I don’t quite understand it myself. He was no mystery. The way he ran the company and spent the money was pretty clear. He thought he was worth more than the chairs thought he was, and he wanted full control over what he did because of the amount of times people held him back in the film days. He had a big ego, and quite frankly, it was justified.

the.dreamfinder

I also read a blog from a film history professor who said the only differentiation between Walt Disney and Fleischer was that Disney marketed animation as “hard to do” and gained public respect. That’s one of the most idiotic statements I’ve ever read. The alleged professor didn’t mention animation quality, story, music, characterization, etc. I wonder how he feels about Chuck Jones or Studio Ghibli.
If that professor held such unread, ignorant views in a more respectable field of the humanities like literature or history, they would be burned at the stake.

tirian

I don’t quite understand it myself. He was no mystery. The way he ran the company and spent the money was pretty clear. He thought he was worth more than the chairs thought he was, and he wanted full control over what he did because of the amount of times people held him back in the film days. He had a big ego, and quite frankly, it was justified.
That’s also how most studios worked: the Studio System kept a big boss who controlled everything else. That doesn’t make it right, of course. But that’s how it was everywhere, and Walt himself had suffered through that with Oswald.

Brer Oswald

That’s also how most studios worked: the Studio System kept a big boss who controlled everything else. That doesn’t make it right, of course. But that’s how it was everywhere, and Walt himself had suffered through that with Oswald.
People don’t really think about how much he was burned throughout his career. Most of the time he was fighting an uphill battle.

tirian

People don’t really think about how much he was burned throughout his career. Most of the time he was fighting an uphill battle.
It’s easy to forget how small the company was until the 1990s.

It’s also important to consider “Uncle Walt” was by all accounts really who he had become after mellowing considerably from his younger days. But if anyone here had a great-grandparent from Walt’s time, you know they tended to be tougher than we expect today. Maybe it was the combination of two World Wars and a Depression. Who knows.

Brer Oswald

It’s easy to forget how small the company was until the 1990s.

It’s also important to consider “Uncle Walt” was by all accounts really who he had become after mellowing considerably from his younger days. But if anyone here had a great-grandparent from Walt’s time, you know they tended to be tougher than we expect today. Maybe it was the combination of two World Wars and a Depression. Who knows.
Uncle Walt wasn’t a completely fictitious entity. It was a completely filtered version of himself, but still a side to him that was very real. People like to give him too much credit as an “actor”.

tirian

Uncle Walt wasn’t a completely fictitious entity. It was a completely filtered version of himself, but still a side to him that was very real. People like to give him too much credit as an “actor”.
Bottom line, he was a real person, not a caricature of an angel or demon.

So I guess we’re treading water in this thread until something new happens?

GoneViral

I meant the original releases of the three movies before Lucas started adding and altering the movies.

I mean, I think that some would. Disney opens Pandora's box if it does that, though. Lucas would probably find it insulting, and they already face a delicate balance with him.

If they could get Lucas onboard with it, I think they'd make more money making the movies free and thereby giving Star Wars fans another reason to subscribe...although Mandalorian already checks that box.

I would expect -- and we're all just guessing here -- that the $29.99 movies are exclusively theatrical releases and maybe some Broadway stuff, at least for the next couple of years.

If the idea proves viable, I'm sure Disney will do everything it can to entice the most loyal customers to buy exclusives on Disney+ that they'll lose should their subscription end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom