On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Chef Mickey

As someone who spends a decent amount of time reading/investigating internal emails sent by executives at large corporations to other, slightly lower on the totem pole executives, they almost always come across as terrible people. Of course that's not even close to being enough information to draw conclusions about a person, but they are constantly aggressive, belittling, etc. in ways I would never even think of being.
Business is brutal. It’s not about being terrible or not. Ever worked in strategy at a Fortune 30 company? It’s insane. Anything you’ve read is so mild and normal, it’s not even worth mentioning.

The good stuff is said in meetings, not written in an email.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let’s all just RELAX! 😂

Are you shouting at me?!!!?!!

1596658348707.png

UNCgolf

Business is brutal. It’s not about being terrible or not. Ever worked in strategy at a Fortune 30 company? It’s insane. Anything you’ve read is so mild and normal, it’s not even worth mentioning.

The good stuff is said in meetings, not written in an email.

Oh, I've seen/heard some meetings as well. But no, some of the stuff I'm talking about isn't mild and normal. Part of the reason (although not even close to the main reason) we look at it is to make sure it's not too inflammatory, and some of it absolutely is. Of course, to be fair, you will also get some of the slightly lower people talking about how the CEO, CFO, etc. is an absolute moron who doesn't understand what they're talking about and who are running the business into the ground.

I'm a corporate defense attorney at one of the biggest law firms in the world so I see quite a lot.

Last edited:

brianstl

There's an expiration date though - Dec 31, 2021. That's when Iger said he'd leave. Having him leave beforehand may be bad for the stock given the current situation. If I were on the board, I'd stick to the plan and have Iger stay until end of next year.
In all honesty, if they have faith in Chapek that is too long. Two bosses is one too many. The longer the situation remains the same the more likely you are to have problems.

Brer Oswald

Again this isn't an accusatory post towards anyone, but the exact quote used in the OP is that Iger will "soon be tossed on his *** in disgrace". This generally means fired or at least some form of non-voluntary ousting (like how Lasseter was forced to step down due to enormous company and public pressure). The OP also indicates Iger's leave would be caused by a massive public release of stories about how he's a violent serial harasser of staff. Such that it would again turn the company and public against him and cause his removal.

For the record, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the allegation about Iger being an ******* to staff are completely true. This isn't specific towards Iger, everyday we hear stories across the entire corporate world about how CEOs and other high ranking executives are horrible abusive people (Ubisoft in particular has been in the spotlight for this lately). But a lot of this abuse is successfully kept hidden and there's never any repercussion for the executives who do it (sometimes even when it goes public). So even if it were true about Iger, there's no guarantee it would actually destroy him and his legacy.
Which again, has no place being revealed in an earnings report. I’ll believe it when I see it, but I’m also not going to call OP a phony just yet. There’s no evidence, neither in support or to the contrary.

MerlinTheGoat

There's a huge difference between being a tough businessman/woman (it's understandable you're going to butt heads with people occasionally) and just being needlessly hateful and cruel to literally everyone around you all 24/7. Then again, it's not surprising considering that over 20% of corporate executives are stated to be literal psychopaths (an estimate i'm inclined to think should be much higher when you count the ones who are better at keeping the behavior hidden). Positions of extreme power attract reprehensible people.

UNCgolf

Disney's corporate structure has always been a bit strange, even haphazard, compared to a lot of other companies.

They've often had the same person as both CEO and Chairman of the Board, which is not typical and is considered an absolute no-no by some. They've also had a President/COO at times, and at other times the CEO has either officially filled that position (Eisner and Iger were both President and CEO at the same time during their respective tenures) or is unofficially making the types of decisions normally delegated to a President or COO (Chapek seems to be in that position now).

Iger serving as board chair after stepping down as CEO isn't totally new for Disney, either. Donn Tatum served as chairman for several years after his time as the CEO.

Last edited:

Nubs70

One tip. Only use budget websites for research only. Never book through Expedia etc.
Booked a trip to Vienna this spring to visit daughter over spring break with Expedia. Covid killed it.

We waited until United cancelled then approached Expedia for direct refund not a flight credit. Expedia denied and we ended up at Chase. Success! Charge was reversed. Then 3 weeks ago Expedia charged our card for the flights again. So around we go again.
Finally got my $3000 back last week from Expedia and card cancelled.

tirian

Doing something I’ve never done before on the next “big original content” - actually writing drafts in a word processor.

Plus there are rumors and narratives I want to fully research and vet before I post. This thread really blew up on some interesting places on YouTube. The next “big original content” may do the same.

But the next thread is coming. Might be a while. Might be tomorrow. But it’s coming.

In the meantime, I’ll be here taking my licks as “the old guy who got it wrong.” When things go another way I will be drinking troll tears.
They mix well with Dole Whips, churros, and special-edition cupcakes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom