Disney's FY20 Q3 Earnings (8/4/20)

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Right, but let's say we're discussing a virus from China that is impacting different states in different ways, thus impacting Disney's business model. So then I chat about that, return later, and see large swaths of my posts are deleted or (worse) sections of what I said are deleted with no explanation. Meanwhile other posts stay up, because it's impossible to discuss almost anything these days without these topics coming up. That's where my beef comes from: I don't like being unable to verify my posts represent what I typed.
I would suggest you might reconsider how often you share regarding China since that seems to be what always gets you edited.

Signed,
Trying to Help in Ohio

mikejs78

Premium Member
Right, but let's say we're discussing a virus from China that is impacting different states in different ways, thus impacting Disney's business model. So then I chat about that, return later, and see large swaths of my posts are deleted or (worse) sections of what I said are deleted with no explanation. Meanwhile other posts stay up, because it's impossible to discuss almost anything these days without these topics coming up. That's where my beef comes from: I don't like being unable to verify my posts represent what I typed.
Just call it COVID, COVID-19, or SARS-COV-2, or refer to the "current pandemic". Everyone will know what you mean. No need to use the place of origin as an adjective to describe the virus - that's inflammatory and bad form.

nickys

Premium Member
So are you saying you’d rather your posts were deleted completely than be edited, even if much of what you say was relevant, on topic and not veering into the social or political aspects of things?

Chef Mickey

My opinion is my opinion. Whether you agree or not has no bearing on whether its meaningful. You said people would be back, Disney has only been open 3 weeks. To me that is implying you think there will be an increase in demand soon. I agree, people will be back but I think it will take a while. Probably years to get back to what was the old normal and I think a big reason is that a large portion of their customer base doesn’t feel comfortable traveling to WDW right now. That’s my opinion and it’s backed by the current attendance numbers. Even Chapek said they were disappointed in the numbers.

As far as analysts go, its naive to think someone who follows the company for a living knows nothing. I never said they had a crystal ball and could predict everything with 100% accuracy, but they certainly know plenty about the business.
I know some of the analysts that cover Disney and other companies. I went to school with them....let's just say they are guessing like everyone else. God can't predict the economy.

Pull out the Chapek quote exactly. I listened to the call and I'm having trouble remembering the interaction you refer.

Really, no one's opinion is very meaningful. We'll see. Opening the doors was step 1.

What is NOT opinion is that NOTHING material has changed about Disney's products/services and the demand for them given a normal scenario. This is entirely a macro story that has hurt them. When that improves, demand bounces back. This is not a Disney problem. Go look at the 10 years prior of record setting Parks attendance/revenues/operating income. Yeah, real dire over there.

Last edited:

tirian

Financially speaking, the worst is over. We are talking about business here. No one cares about cases anymore except agenda pushing media and clickbait news.

I‘m living in reality. Look what markets are telling you. They agree.

It‘s like some of you guys would be happier if the economy crumbles.
This is true. The economy has factually begun its recovery, despite what clickbait op-eds claim on Reddit. That doesn’t mean things are perfect, and that doesn’t mean it won’t be long road to recovery. Only immature people think everything in life is either absolutely wonderful and good, or absolutely terrible and evil, all the time.

As a company, Disney is going to be fine. The bigger question for me is whether it will continue Walt’s legacy of creativity and innovation. I believe the answer is no.

hopemax

So what? If it takes that long Disney will have to cancel many more projects they had planned. The 50th anniversary will be some new pins and some merch.
I think it will end up looking very much like the 25th. Castle Theming - check, new Illuminations show - check. 25th got a new parade, but being able to promo Ratatouille, Tron, Guardians will cover that. Just need some "I survived", "Welcome Back" buttons like they had where you put the year of your first visit, and a new theme song like "Remember the Magic."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Around 18:00 point, "At Walt Disney World we are achieving our objective of driving a positive net contribution at current attendance levels, and expect improvement as Covid situation in Florida improves."

If they are 'making a positive net contribution' I'm assuming that is cash-flow positive. If they are cash-flow positive now at current attendance levels, how much more do they take in when they are drawing 5x as many guests? How significant is reduction in cap-ex to being cash-flow positive at this attendance level. What are staffing and labor costs compared to a past August? How do these scale - what would a graph of revenue & expenses vs. attendance levels look like?
It’s not really cash flow positive. When they say a positive net contribution they mean that revenues exceed variable costs. Any fixed or sunk costs are ignored because they exist whether the parks are open or closed. Many of the fixed costs are things like depreciation of the fixed assets which is non-cash, but there are other fixed costs that are cash based. For example if you look at something like labor costs there’s a variable component (CMs at the front gate) and there’s a fixed component relating to things like security, maintenance and various corporate functions like HR or IT directly related to WDW. If the parks are closed they still have to pay for those things. So in a basic example if it costs them $1B a month in expenses (no revenue less fixed costs) to keep the parks closed and they lose $500M a month with the parks open (revenues less variable costs less fixed costs) then they have a positive net contribution of $500M even though they are still operating at a loss.

I don’t have the specific numbers to make a graph but WDW has always been successful due to economies of scale. There are huge costs associated with just having the parks but they always made great profits by running massive numbers of people through the parks and hotels while maintaining a premium price. If you lose the high revenue numbers coming in it’s really hard to make profits considering the fixed costs of just existing are so high.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know some of the analysts that cover Disney and other companies. I went to school with them....let's just say they are guessing like everyone else. God can't predict the economy.

Pull out the Chapek quote exactly. I listened to the call and I'm having trouble remembering the interaction you refer.

Really, no one's opinion is very meaningful. We'll see. Opening the doors was step 1.

What is NOT opinion is that NOTHING material has changed about Disney's products/services and the demand for them given a normal scenario. This is entirely a macro story that has hurt them. When that improves, demand bounces back. This is not a Disney problem. Go look at the 10 years prior of record setting Parks attendance/revenues/operating income. Yeah, real dire over there.
Not sure why you think what I’m saying is that Disney itself has a problem. I’ve been pretty clear throughout this thread that I don’t think they have any issues financially. They have plenty of cash to ride out the storm and are much better positioned than almost anyone in the travel and leisure space to take advantage of travel demand as soon as people are interested. It’s the travel industry in general that’s going to take a year or more to come back. Disney had no control over what happened in FL with cases spiking out of control. Their safety protocols are better than anyone else. If anything they are a victim of some of the less responsible behaviors from some other businesses.

As far as my opinion about the customer base not feeling comfortable coming back to WDW now the exact quotes from the opening remarks were:
Chapek: “At Walt Disney World, we are achieving our objective of driving a positive net contribution at current attendance levels and we expect demand will grow when the COVID situation in Florida improves.“
Christine McCarthy: “At Parks, Experiences, and Products. It's worth noting that while Walt Disney World is operating at a positive net contribution level, the upside we are seeing some reopening is less than we had originally expected given the recent surge in COVID-19 cases in Florida.“

These comments back my opinion that enough people don’t feel comfortable going to WDW due to the current issues with Covid in FL and Disney internally is disappointed with the soft attendance numbers.

Getachew

Not sure why you think what I’m saying is that Disney itself has a problem. I’ve been pretty clear throughout this thread that I don’t think they have any issues financially. They have plenty of cash to ride out the storm and are much better positioned than almost anyone in the travel and leisure space to take advantage of travel demand as soon as people are interested. It’s the travel industry in general that’s going to take a year or more to come back. Disney had no control over what happened in FL with cases spiking out of control. Their safety protocols are better than anyone else. If anything they are a victim of some of the less responsible behaviors from some other businesses.

As far as my opinion about the customer base not feeling comfortable coming back to WDW now the exact quotes from the opening remarks were:
Chapek: “At Walt Disney World, we are achieving our objective of driving a positive net contribution at current attendance levels and we expect demand will grow when the COVID situation in Florida improves.“
Christine McCarthy: “At Parks, Experiences, and Products. It's worth noting that while Walt Disney World is operating at a positive net contribution level, the upside we are seeing some reopening is less than we had originally expected given the recent surge in COVID-19 cases in Florida.“

These comments back my opinion that enough people don’t feel comfortable going to WDW due to the current issues with Covid in FL and Disney internally is disappointed with the soft attendance numbers.

There's definitely some truth here, which is why UO is doing the "buy one ticket, go for the rest of the year" deal they are doing. If there was such high demand, they wouldn't need to do that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's definitely some truth here, which is why UO is doing the "buy one ticket, go for the rest of the year" deal they are doing. If there was such high demand, they wouldn't need to do that.
Agreed, and as I just posted above the CEO and CFO of TWDC both care a whole lot about Covid cases, especially in FL.

Getachew

Agreed, and as I just posted above the CEO and CFO of TWDC both care a whole lot about Covid cases, especially in FL.

When Disney re-opened in mid July, there was something like 10,000-even 15,000 cases daily. That's the last thing they wanted.

To say people don't care about cases besides an "agenda pushing media" is downright laughable. Disney, UO, Seaworld, etc, most definitely do care about cases, as the more cases impacts their parks attendance in a negative way.

KikoKea

I hate to interrupt the discussions on Covid and what is politics, but....is there any way to tell from the figures the cost of running the parks (& resorts) is being covered by the number of guests WDW has seen? Are they losing money, breaking even, or seeing a profit from being open?

WDW Pro

I hate to interrupt the discussions on Covid and what is politics, but....is there any way to tell from the figures the cost of running the parks (& resorts) is being covered by the number of guests WDW has seen? Are they losing money, breaking even, or seeing a profit from being open?

Losing $ except for third party contracts with sports leagues.

*This post contains no references to governments, social constructs (other than sports and contracts out of necessity, nor conspiratorial actions)*

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The money coming in for the day is covering money going out for the day. That's an *operational* profit. However, there is more to expenses than operations for that day, such as depreciation. The operational profit isn't covering those extra 'business' costs. But, many of those business costs would still be on the books whether opened or closed, so, it's better to be open than closed, but not *completely* profitable yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom